Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 06:53 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,538,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've heard Europeans say they think Washington DC is most similar to Europe with its lack of skyscrapers, urban lifestyle, and the grand monumental buildings and its design since it was designed by a French planner. I've also heard Europeans say they like New York and Chicago. OF these, DC is still the most European feeling.

Of the non-European style cities in America, I've heard good things about Myrtle Beach, maybe because you can't find something like it in Europe. I met a couple Europeans in the truly all-American city of Amarillo, Texas and they didn't seem to like it too much.
The streets in D.C are soooo wide though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 09:18 PM

10,260 posts, read 15,973,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The streets in D.C are soooo wide though.
I think kind of like the wide boulevards of Paris. Didn't L'enfant base his design for DC on Paris? The wide boulevards and the many traffic circles are especially similar to Paris.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,538,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think kind of like the wide boulevards of Paris. Didn't L'enfant base his design for DC on Paris? The wide boulevards and the many traffic circles are especially similar to Paris.
Yes but are the wide boulevards you see in Paris common throughout the rest of Europe?

I know Americans who have been to Europe are surprised by how narrow the streets are so i wonder if they are surprised how wide our streets are?

Old 04-20-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes but are the wide boulevards you see in Paris common throughout the rest of Europe?

I know Americans who have been to Europe are surprised by how narrow the streets are so i wonder if they are surprised how wide our streets are?
The Europeans I know (from the UK and the Czech Republic) are surprised by how big EVERYTHING is in the US...especially as they've seen cities like Atlanta. I find the streets of older US cities like Baltimore to be very narrow. This is a VERY big negative as this makes a lot of the streets in some downtown areas like Baltimroe to be one-way which is annoying for drivers.

To think of it Paris does have wider streets than a lot of European cities. I'm not sure about Rome or Madrid if they have wide boulevards and avenues. London felt very narrow and crowded same with Amsterdam.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:46 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,744,404 times
Streets in European cities tend to be more narrower than in the US because those cities were built before cars where pedestrian traffic was the norm. Even in Paris your typical street will look something like this (wide avenues such as Champs-Élysées are an exception to the rule).

Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 PM

24,155 posts, read 32,580,670 times
Eight out of ten Europeans prefer New York or Boston. Or both.

However, in my experience, they still think that US cities are new.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:26 PM

844 posts, read 1,660,268 times
I've heard that Europeans are fascinated with west Texas.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:05 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,101,736 times
[quote=iNviNciBL3;29222245]Yes but are the wide boulevards you see in Paris common throughout the rest of Europe?

I know Americans who have been to Europe are surprised by how narrow the streets are so i wonder if they are surprised how wide our streets are ?

Paris has wider streets compare to many European cities.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 PM

Interesting pictures. I've been to Europe once a long time ago back in the 90s.

Another thing about European cities is that a lot of them are not very "green" in that a lot of streets and plaza do not really have a lot of trees. Those pictures of Paris, for example didn't have a lot of trees in fact the second picture was entirely barren of vegetation. I've seen a lot of pictures from London, Rome, Florence, Madrid, and Prague and this was the case in all those places. Your average suburban road in the US is literally greener than a lot of streets in large European cities.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,862,607 times
London is greener than New York by a large margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe