Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city iyo?
Barcelona 23 26.14%
Madrid 25 28.41%
Rome 31 35.23%
Milan 9 10.23%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 AM

35 posts, read 70,881 times

Advertisements

Julio Iglesias, etc, are considered kitsch in Madrid and Spain at large. Only cougars go to their concerts.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 02:46 PM

20 posts, read 59,557 times
I've been in all 4 cities mentioned...Milan is by far the worst of them, if not one of worst big city in Europe.
Sure, it got everything you can think of in terms of services, nightlife, entertainment ecc ecc but it's simply UGLY. Really nothing worth a visit (ok the cathedral is good!) and personally I really really don't like the people there (don't know any italians who do it )
Rome is simple amazing, you can't find any city in the whole planet as beautiful as Rome.....you'll need weeks to discover the city... BUT unless you're born there probably it would be a nightmare to move in the area. Tipical place which is much better to visit than to live in.
Madrid I think is astonishing, probably the best "deal"...one of best place I've ever been to...and WHAT A VIBE! 24/7!! so beautiful and one of the greatest nightlife in Europe! Among the 4 cities this is the one I'd choose to live in!
Barcelona in my opinion is great...just not so great as Madrid but still worth a visit or maybe even more

Old 01-16-2014, 03:42 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I've been offered an opportunity to work in Madrid for 16 months and wanted to get other American perspective on living there. My allowance for an apartment is 4000 Euros/month (what will that allow?) per diem for food and expenses is $100/day plus a 15% bump in my American salary (Sr. Manager at Engineering Co.) and tax incentives. Good deal?

How many People there speak English?

Old 01-16-2014, 05:48 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldshimoda View Post
I've been in all 4 cities mentioned...Milan is by far the worst of them, if not one of worst big city in Europe.
Sure, it got everything you can think of in terms of services, nightlife, entertainment ecc ecc but it's simply UGLY. Really nothing worth a visit (ok the cathedral is good!) and personally I really really don't like the people there (don't know any italians who do it )
Rome is simple amazing, you can't find any city in the whole planet as beautiful as Rome.....you'll need weeks to discover the city... BUT unless you're born there probably it would be a nightmare to move in the area. Tipical place which is much better to visit than to live in.
Madrid I think is astonishing, probably the best "deal"...one of best place I've ever been to...and WHAT A VIBE! 24/7!! so beautiful and one of the greatest nightlife in Europe! Among the 4 cities this is the one I'd choose to live in!
Barcelona in my opinion is great...just not so great as Madrid but still worth a visit or maybe even more
Yeah Milan didn't seem all that interesting, but it was cool to be in for an afternoon. Never seen such crowds in my life, actually! Literally pushing my way through, Saturday afternoon shopping I guess. I like how you can go to the roof of the big church though. The skyline is going up really fast, so it will kind of be an Italian Frankfurt with a modern skyline.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:45 AM

20 posts, read 59,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've been offered an opportunity to work in Madrid for 16 months and wanted to get other American perspective on living there. My allowance for an apartment is 4000 Euros/month (what will that allow?) per diem for food and expenses is $100/day plus a 15% bump in my American salary (Sr. Manager at Engineering Co.) and tax incentives. Good deal?

You're gonna kick ass in Madrid!!! THAT'S A HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY!!! SUPER DEAL!

Old 01-17-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldshimoda View Post
You're gonna kick ass in Madrid!!! THAT'S A HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY!!! SUPER DEAL!
The housing allowance is less than I got in Moscow & Seoul so I guess Madrid has cheaper housing. I've been trying to get excited about Madrid but so far haven't gotten there I guess because I haven't liked the places in Europe that I've worked and visited but I've imagined that I would like Spain better.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:19 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,574,616 times
Quote:

I show you a Spaniard perspective, as I live 60 km away to Madrid.
Spaniards have one of the worst English level in Europe, so you must learn some Spanish to adapt to the specific needs of everyday life.
Most people under 40 years old are able to speak, read and listen some of it. However, only some university students can speak it in a fluent way.

Recalls that still our economic situation is near cathastrophic. For instance, unemployment rate is 26%, with that all implies in our society.

Other things that may be interesting for attending:

The weather is Mediterranean Csa with strong continental influence, maybe something like inland northern California or inland southern Oregon. However, the rainy season is not winter, but two equals rainy peaks in both autumn and spring.
Summer is really hot, sunny and dry, although some weak thunderstorms are possible every 10 or 15 days within summer, especially at late afternoon. As relative humidity tend to be low in summer months, there are not muggy oppresive weather conditions like for instance NYC has.

Winter is the secondary slightly dry season, and also is cold because of its altitude, so freezing nights are common.
Snow happens three or four times per year on average, but most of them are light snowfall which melting quickly, so on the following day what is more likely there are no more snow on the ground. Weather in winter are warmer, sunnier and better than in most European cities, but also gloomy or foggy weather are possible sometimes.

Grounded in tradition, the art of living is unquestionably linked to fun and gastronomy.

Last edited by overdrive1979; 01-20-2014 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-20-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
I show you a Spaniards perspective, as I live 60 km away to Madrid.
Spaniards have one of the worst English level in Europe, so you must learn some Spanish to adapt to the specific needs of everyday life.
Most people under 40 years old are able to speak, read and listen some of it. However, only some university students can speak it in a fluent way.

Recalls that still our economic situation is near cathastrophic. For instance, unemployment rate is 26%, with that all implies in our society.

Other things that may be interesting for attending:

The weather is Mediterranean Csa with strong continental influence, maybe something like inland northern California or inland southern Oregon. However, the rainy season is not winter, but two equals rainy peaks in both autumn and spring.
Summer is really hot, sunny and dry, although some weak thunderstorms are possible every 10 or 15 days within summer, especially at late afternoon. As relative humidity tend to be low in summer months, there are not muggy oppresive weather conditions like for instance NYC has.

Winter is the secondary slightly dry season, and also is cold because of its altitude, so freezing nights are common.
Snow happens three or four times per year on average, but most of them are light snowfall which melting quickly, so on the following day what is more likely there are no more snow on the ground. Weather in winter are warmer, sunnier and better than in most European cities, but also gloomy or foggy weather are possible sometimes.

Grounded in tradition, the art of living is unquestionably linked to fun and gastronomy.
Muchas Gracias Overdrive!

The fact I would need to learn Spanish is a plus, I've long wanted to learn more than the few words and phrases that I currently know. The link to fun, gastronomy in the culture also a plus. I'm still wavering on the decision due to so far from family (although many have said they will visit me in Madrid).

Old 01-20-2014, 08:54 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,574,616 times
Quote:
Muchas Gracias Overdrive!

The fact I would need to learn Spanish is a plus, I've long wanted to learn more than the few words and phrases that I currently know. The link to fun, gastronomy in the culture also a plus. I'm still wavering on the decision due to so far from family (although many have said they will visit me in Madrid).
In spite of our unemployment, crime and personal safety is not a problem here, just we are on average with the rest of European countries.
However, big public places in large touristic areas in the center of the city seem to atract some pickpockets.

When you decide to come here, I can advice you about the best neighborhoods to live in.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:21 PM

10,080 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Its hard for me to choose.

I have no love at all for Milan, so scratch that!

But Barcelona, Madrid, and Roma are just wonderful and I love all three of them equally. Sorry!

Add Seville and Cadiz, and we can say that all of my favorite European cities are definitely taken into consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe