Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 04:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,150,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols44 View Post
From my multiple years of living in Europe I can say the thread title is 75% accurate. New England is condensed and full of rapid transit lines like Europe. California seems enchanting and Florida calls out to the sun starved of many European locals. The gangster reputation (their words, not mine) of Chicago is intriguing. The rest of the country is uninteresting and largely spaces between the coastal areas of choice.

A lot of middle class Europeans save all year to travel where it's warm and sunny for 2-4 weeks (usually in August). Florida, Cally and the Cap areas are the natural choices. There are things to do and places to go there that appeal to most Europeans.

I am highly interested in what other Americans with European experience and Europeans who have traveled abroad think.
I don't think being condensed and having rapid transport is a big reason for NE's popularity, and I'd hazard to guess outside Boston New England doesn't compares to the likes of Florida. You of course forgot NYC, which is one of the biggest destinations for Europeans. Chicago would have some interest, it's a bit further afield and for those who might want to do a road-trip. In California Europeans tend to prefer San Francisco, but plenty still visit LA for Hollywood, the theme parks, to see what the fuss about California is.

In the South, you've got New Orleans the bayous unique Cajun/Creole culture, in TN Memphis, Nashville the Great Smokies, you have many civil war sites, in Virginia and DC American history and culture. The Atlantic coast boasts Savannah, Charleston, the Outer Banks. Mississippi maybe for a few blues enthusiasts, little interest in Arkansas, Oklahoma, most of Texas, Alabama, but the South has many drawcard states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 08:01 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,057,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I guess I'm trying to figure out WHY so many Europeans tend to overlook the south.

Actually Memphis gets quite a few European visitors thanks to the music.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Well I have visited Charleston and Savannah and I loved both, lots to do and see beautiful old plantation style homes. Plenty of history. Great restaurants and the beaches were ok too, very, very hot mid summer, I loved sitting under the cottonwood trees for shade. Love to go again some day.
Yay! Hurry back - and keep spreading the word!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 AM

257 posts, read 518,838 times
I have never been to USA. If I had a chance to go there I wouldn´t travel to "The South" either with exception of Florida. Places like New Mexico or Arizona don´t seem attractive to me. I have always wanted to visit San Francisco because of its atmosphere and Golden Gate Bridge. I hope I will see this city sometime.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:17 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,981,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yay! Hurry back - and keep spreading the word!
No, don't. Enough Europeans visit the South as it is, they need to visit PA

Old 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM

367 posts, read 766,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Actually Memphis gets quite a few European visitors thanks to the music.
And I thought it was the BBQ and Elvis. lol

It reminds me that Europeans are not finger food people. Buffalo wings, pulled pork sandwiches and turkey legs are not their thing. It took me a while to get use to Germans eating pizza with a knife and fork in the 80's.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:

It reminds me that Europeans are not finger food people. Buffalo wings, pulled pork sandwiches and turkey legs are not their thing. It took me a while to get use to Germans eating pizza with a knife and fork in the 80's.

Yea from what I hear they do like the BBQ. They love Sun, Stax, and the Blues, but Rock-A-Billy is huge, at least for those tourists. Every August, during Elvis' candlelight vigil, tons of Europeans.

From the name, I am guessing you are in TN also.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:35 PM

Also, there is a tour in Memphis called 'Backbeat Tours'. Kinda ironic I guess considering the topic of this thread. I know one of the tour guides and he is, you guessed it, a Beatles fan. Anyway, if anyone ever makes it here, you should check it out.

Memphis Tennessee Music Bus and Walking Tours - Memphis Sightseeing (TN) - Backbeat Tours

Old 03-25-2013, 10:27 AM

7,010 posts, read 12,000,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't think being condensed and having rapid transport is a big reason for NE's popularity, and I'd hazard to guess outside Boston New England doesn't compares to the likes of Florida. You of course forgot NYC, which is one of the biggest destinations for Europeans. Chicago would have some interest, it's a bit further afield and for those who might want to do a road-trip. In California Europeans tend to prefer San Francisco, but plenty still visit LA for Hollywood, the theme parks, to see what the fuss about California is.

In the South, you've got New Orleans the bayous unique Cajun/Creole culture, in TN Memphis, Nashville the Great Smokies, you have many civil war sites, in Virginia and DC American history and culture. The Atlantic coast boasts Savannah, Charleston, the Outer Banks. Mississippi maybe for a few blues enthusiasts, little interest in Arkansas, Oklahoma, most of Texas, Alabama, but the South has many drawcard states.
The only draw of the south to foreign tourists would possibly be New Orleans, due to its heavily catholic influences buildings and architecture, it being a very old city, resembling earlier European design, etc, and its very unique culture.

I can't see many Europeans wanting to tour Memphis, Nashville, Charleston, or Savannah, or any of the other places in the south you listed. Those places are all good for American tourists, and northern born Americans may be the most curious about it, but not to Europeans.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:13 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,130,392 times
Quote:

Lol, my dad came to America from Italy after the war. He never ate with his hands. Freid chicken, pizza, sandwiches.... always with a knife and fork
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe