Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,355,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
For me, my issue with Europe is a matter of bang for the buck.
And the cramped living spaces.
And the restriction on true opportunity.
My standard of living would crater.
No, thanks.

The average american might do well there.
None of this exists.
What cramped living space?
What restrictions to opportunity? There are none.
What standard of living to you currently have that would not exist in Europe?

Old 05-07-2013, 08:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,411,537 times
The US has the largest average house size in the world.

International House Sizes

There are restrictions to opportunity in every culture and every country. Many of these restrictions are called "laws." They are also called "taxes." They are called "regulations" and "zoning," and all sorts of other civilized words. They are also called "prejudice" and "high unemployment" and "poor economy" - that sort of thing.

Opportunity is very individualistic. One's opportunity in various cultures depends on many personal factors - education, market, supply and demand, even race and religion.

As for what I have that I couldn't have in Europe - it all boils down to economics and area. In most places in Europe where I would consider living, I could not afford the home and land that I can afford in Texas. Also, my husband would literally not be able to park or drive his big truck (necessary for his line of work - which he loves and wants to continue doing) in most towns and cities in Europe. For that matter, he would not have the work opportunities there that he enjoys in the US, and which finances our comfortable lifestyle here.

For that matter, we both love American football - from local high school games to professional games - and we attend both as often as we can. Couldn't do that living in Europe.

We love Tex Mex food and the Hill Country of Texas, as well as the entire cultural feel of Texas in general - can't get that in Europe.

There are many more reasons why we prefer life here than in Europe - for our permanent residence. But I"m not bashing Europe at all - I like a lot about it. I just prefer living my daily life here.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 05-07-2013 at 08:23 AM..

Old 05-07-2013, 08:17 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,892,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
When I moved from Germany to Britain, the only things I had to get used to were coins and notes, language, and watching for cars driving the wrong way around Other than that things worked more or less like back home. Not the slightest culture shock...
exactly..I think this is the UK trying to distance itself from Europe, but really?...I just dont find it that far off culturally from Europe.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,729,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
We have both but I just hang around the people who just straight up don't care about religion.

But what I ment is that I would rather hang out with annoying Christians than annoying atheist. .
Then there's this :

xkcd: Atheists

Old 05-07-2013, 08:21 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,355,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Neither are comments from European users in this thread either.

Anyways the US is the most famous, richest and most powerful country in the world. Enough said.
And among the most in-debt/broke, offers little to its citizenry.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,411,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And among the most in-debt/broke, offers little to its citizenry.
I love what the US offers to my family and me. To each his own.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:42 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,154,396 times
Just started this thread this morning and don't have time to read it all right now. (I've read about 150 posts.) However, I also have NPR on, and just heard this story:

Germany's Paradox: Family-Friendly Benefits, But Few Kids : NPR

I thought it was interesting.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:51 AM

796 posts, read 1,166,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They call it T.K. Maxx.

As far as taxes, the cost of tax is included in the item.
In the US, if the state taxes clothing, it's in addition to the price.
Shopping is still more expensive in the UK and Europe than it is in the US and even Canada.
We also offers lots of coupons and discount here frequently.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
How do Americans feel about the lack of military in Europe? Obviously I am not talking about military personnel living in Kaiserslautern etc., but of American civilians that move to Europe to work. I assume when you are used to the military being as present as it is in American society, Europe might strike you as utterly civilian
I could careless about the military. But I love protection though, and it cost money.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetroof View Post
Someone defended Chain restaurants? Hilarious
Yes because they are great. My family and friends from Europe, their first stop is Cheesecake Factory and Friday's. we have awesome chain restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe