Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 07:26 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times

Advertisements

Here's the official summary of this thread:

- guns
- big shiney towers
- Olive Garden
- english please!!!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:30 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Speak for yourself, it's not part of my culture! The majority of Americans aren't interested in owning guns, and don't equate freedom with gun ownership. It's a vocal minority that makes noise about the freedom to own guns. Being allowed to own a registered hunting rifle is a different matter, as it is in Europe, as well.
lol, how is it different? owning a registered hunting rifle is gun ownership.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:44 PM

257 posts, read 518,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
My friend who visited the USA 5-6 years ago told me that he went to the gun shop and after 2 weeks he got a gun license. They didn´t ask him anything. In the Czech Republic you can not get a gun without being controlled mentally. And If you are a civilian you can not buy for example AK 47. I would say that´s the difference.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,816,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
* Everything is smaller (houses/apartments, roads, food portions, buildings, stores, etc.)
* High unemployment rate (Esp. in Eastern and Southern Europe)
* High youth unemployment rate in Western and Northern Europe
* Very high taxes
* Basically everything is more expensive
* Confusing road system and signs
* Less demographic diversity (but too high Islamic immigration)
* Less freedom
* Lack of skyscrapers in most cities
* No real and true suburban area like in the U.S./Canada
* Close to the Middle East (generally bad region)
* Less climate and landscape diversity (No tropical or desert climate in mainland Europe, and most of Europe have much less sunshine than most of U.S. and even Canada)
* Too many national languages
* Way less shopping stores and shopping opportunity (No wonder why Europeans go crazy when shopping in America)
* Big houses (McMansions) are rare
* Having own individual car is relatively uncommon
* Central Air and Heat is rare and something luxury
* Everything is too old

Feel free to add
Moderator cut: Rude Too old, lack of skyscrapers, close to Middle East?! Are you serious?

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-28-2013 at 06:38 AM..

Old 04-27-2013, 08:12 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Default Some reasons why I, an American, wouldn't mind living in Europe

Well, the very first time I visited Europe was when I was 16 and made a two month long trip with my Mom. By the time I was 21 I had been to nearly every country in Europe in course of four long trips covering the summers of my college years. When I was the (British) Royal Merchant Navy I was living in diffeent ports in Europe. I stopped counting my trips to Europe after the 25th. So I can say with confidence I know the continent well.

Here are some reasons I would like to live in Europe. I am an American, born of American parents and grandparents. I have lived in four states: New York, New Jersey, Florida, and Pennsylvania.
  • The food is better in Europe. Much better. Healthier and more delicious.
  • Public transportation is better in Europe. You can get around town without being so dependent on a car.
  • Transportation from one country to another is so much easier and convenient by train.
  • The cities are more beautiful.
  • Europe is full of historical character and charm, not like the majority of American towns that are so ugly and soulless.
  • Drinking water is better in Europe.
  • People are more polite and well behaved for the most part, but they do have hooligans too.
  • The Europeans seem to respect nature and the natural environment more, they do not clear cut forests nor do they chop off the tops of mountains as we do.
  • Europeans, on the whole live longer than Americans.
  • They don't have those awful WalMarts over there (at least I didn't see any.)
  • There are more sidewalk cafes in Europe.
  • The architecture is better in Europe.
  • The small towns and villages throughout Europe are much prettier than in the US.
  • There is not so much disgusting obesity in Europe as there is in America.
  • They make better cheeses than we do, even if Wisconsin makes pretty good cheese.
  • In my view American wines are as good as European, so that's a draw; but European beers and liqueurs are superior to ours.
  • Europe has a better Opera scene than we have.
  • Europe has better Symphony Orchestras than we have, but we do have a few good ones.
  • Europe has better Ballet than we have.
  • Europe has better Art Museums than we have.
  • Europe has a longer bridge than anything in the US.
  • Generally speaking, the automobiles made in Europe are superior to ours.
  • The Europeans (especially the Swiss) make better watches and clocks than do.
  • Europeans dress better than Americans.
  • European breads, pastries, and baked goods are so much better than ours.
  • Europeans are generally healthier than Americans.
  • There is less Urban Blight and graffiti than we have.
  • Europe doesn't have the Westboro Baptist Church.
  • To the best of my knowledge, there is no "Fracking" going on Europe.
  • The Port of Rotterdam is bigger than any port in the US.
  • You don't see as many homeless people over there than you do here.
  • Detroit is in America, not Europe.
On the other hand, the French seem to think Jerry Lewis is brilliant ... so I'll concede there is a lot of stupidity in Europe as well.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Too old, lack of skyscrapers, close to Middle East?! Are you serious?
Awe poor thing.

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-28-2013 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - Reply to edited post

Old 04-27-2013, 08:20 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
How would having few skyscrapers ruin a beauty? You could have both old and new buildings (Montreal an example). Few cities like Frankfurt do have skyscrapers, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't ruin the beauty.

Europe does not have as many stores and options like the U.S.
In America there is something for the very poor to the very rich. Lots of stores and lots of options.
Europe does not have TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Kohl's as an example. Yes, H&M, Zara, etc. but not a cheap store that sell brand names.

Outside stores are common in cities and many downtown areas, as well as strip "malls" in America too.
Europe does not have less shopping choices, and give me the beautiful domes and spires of the cities of Europe over bland skyscrapers any day! :-)

Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
No concealed gun issues. You can't carry it in your pocket. It's a different class of gun. I'm sure you knew that. Why did you think European countries allow hunting guns, but generally don't allow handguns?

Old 04-27-2013, 09:31 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,438 times
*Europe does not have Las Vegas and Hollywood
* Europeans are less polite and friendly than most Americans (In America it is common to have small chat with people you don't know)
* Racism seems higher in parts of Europe

Last edited by OneLess; 04-27-2013 at 09:47 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 09:33 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I'm sure a 300 pound American could easily find a way to keep their weight stable over here, despite not being served the typically massive portions of food served in the US.
In America we give you large portions worth the money... Nobody forces you to finish everything. You also have the option to take leftover home.

There are plenty of obese people in Europe too, especially in the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe