Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 03:18 PM

22 posts, read 23,380 times

Advertisements

In a few days, I will be leaving for Spain for a 5 week study abroad. This is my first time A.) traveling outside my country (the U.S.) and B.) flying in an airplane. The town I will be staying in is Salamanca and there will be trips to Madrid, Pamplona, Barcelona, Segovia and possibly to Italy.

Does anyone have any advice on how to carry oneself when in Europe? How not to be an "ugly american"? Can anyone who has been to Spain tell me of their experience?

Most importantly, the flight is 12 hours. Is there anything I should know about flying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 03:42 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
About fliying: take a book, music, or have a relaxing tea to sleep suring the flight.

About the trip: good choices, Salamanca is a good place to study, university town. Can you speak Spanish? It will be really really useful

Enjoy your trip.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
How not to be an ugly American, you ask? The only thing you need to concern yourself with is don't be all "Back home we did things this way and that way and you're doing it wrong". That's about it. You needn't concern yourself, the Brits take most of the heat since they do that all the time

Old 06-23-2013, 11:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Just be yourself, no point in stressing out about how others view you.... especially when you are on vacation.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:16 AM

10,103 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Its quite a stretch to call a 5 week study abroad program a "vacation."

About flying, there isn't much to know about it. Get in the plane, fasten your seatbelt and leave it fastened at all times even when the seatbelt sign is off. The first thing you should do after finding your seat is where the laboratories (aka bathrooms) are located because in such a long flight, eventually you will need to use one of them.

Airlines offer all sorts of entertainment options (movies, music, etc.) Most airlines will want to either sell or rent you headphones in order to hear the movies, etc; but you can be smarter by taking your own headphones since they work as good as the airlines and you save yourself a few bucks. Take a book/magazines/etc you think might be good entertainment in case whatever the airline is offering sucks. Also, the flight will most likely be through the night, meaning that you will most likely depart from the USA at night and arrive in Europe early in the morning. So, sleeping is always a nice option. Oh yes, might want to take a pack of chewing gum with you. When the airplane departs, the rising pressure as the airplane reaches the 30,000 or so feet in the air might clog your ears (the same might happen upon approach and landing.) Chewing on gum helps unclog them.

As for not being an ugly US American, simply keep in mind that you are in someone else's country and the way they do things works for them, even if you think its weird or that in the USA we do it better. While most people are quite critical of their country, no one likes a foreigner that criticizes their country, even if you are criticizing the country for the very same things the natives criticize it. Yes, I know its weird and hypocritical, but that's just the way humans are. You would most likely do the same with foreigners that criticize the USA for this you yourself criticize it. Its sort of the I can call my sister stupid but if someone else's does, I'll feel offended and will let them know it. Its the same hypocritical thing, don't sweat it.

Other than that, enjoy your time over there. Spain is one of the most beautiful countries in the world.

Oh yes, whatever you do, don't make a face of disgust if you see something rather disturbing, especially if its related to their food. Look, in many areas of Spain people eat bulls balls as a delicacy. Its the nastiest thing I have ever seen and just thinking about it is churning my stomach already, but whatever you do, don't impose your opinion of this unto them. For them eating bulls balls is as normal as anything else. Thankfully the Spanish don't eat that many things that US Americans might have an issue with, but be aware that they do have their quirky side.

Have fun!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM

49 posts, read 131,922 times
Salamanca is a nice historical city, but there are too many foreigners studying Spanish, and locals, if you find them, are rather yokelish to say the least. You better stay there a couple of days and scamper out. Segovia is nice, near Madrid, not that many foreign students. Pamplona...zip..San Fermin is near, better avoid the city.

If you want to learn Spanish, you should avoid Salamanca, too many foreign students learning Spanish and getting seriously drunk in the process...Better head to a city without foreign students and without tourists, Orense, Lugo, Oviedo, Palencia.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:54 PM

208 posts, read 547,137 times
if you are a northerner be careful with he sun, or you will turn in another guiri lobster.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:09 PM

10,103 posts, read 14,972,719 times
The sun in Spain is no more intense than in the northern states of the continental USA. People often think otherwise because in southern Spain there are plenty of palm trees (not many are exclusively tropical though) and assume that its due to latitude when in reality the effect of the Gulf Stream and maybe even excess heat moving north from the Sahara desert explains the warmer than expected climate.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:30 AM

9 posts, read 29,612 times
Oh yes, whatever you do, don't make a face of disgust if you see something rather disturbing, especially if its related to their food. Look, in many areas of Spain people eat bulls balls as a delicacy. Its the nastiest thing I have ever seen and just thinking about it is churning my stomach already, but whatever you do, don't impose your opinion of this unto them. For them eating bulls balls is as normal as anything else. Thankfully the Spanish don't eat that many things that US Americans might have an issue with, but be aware that they do have their quirky side.

We call them "criadillas". Americans also love Bull Testicles, they call them "Rocky Mountain Oysters". Not all Americans eat industrial quesadillas in greasy franchises.

Spanish eat many things hated by Americans than only eat in franchises, but cultured Americans and country boys eat them with no problem.

Last edited by Morgenthau; 06-25-2013 at 09:40 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 5,885 times
You'll love Spain, it's a great country.
As being an American, relax, it will be fine. A lot of Americans are overly concerned about the fact that they'll be ill perceived in Europe. While there may be a political anti-americanism in Europe, it never affects American tourists, they are viewed as well mannered, friendly and generous tippers.
I have lived in Paris for 30 years and I've never seen or heard of American tourists or travelers mistreated because they were americans. In Paris you'll encounter rude and aggressive people, but they're Parisians, that just how they behave with everybody!
Now, about Spain, I don't know if you're black, but I've heard and read that racism can be a problem sometimes. That may be a stereotype, but again that's something you hear a lot about Spain (and Italy for that matter)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe