Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I was reading an article about Snowden settling in and it stated that the cost of living is very high in Moscow and a cup of coffee could easily be the equivalent of $12.

Is that really the case? How does that compare to other places in Russia? How do the people manage?
BTW I've read this yesterday on R.T. ( "A warm warning" for Edward Snowden )
Not a big fan of RT since it's Putin's mouthpiece, really, but in this case sounds about right ( what she writes there that is.)

Welcome to Russia, Mr. Snowden ? RT Op-Edge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Not a big fan of RT since it's Putin's mouthpiece, really, but in this case sounds about right ( what she writes there that is.)

$30 for a burger? Wow!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:02 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
$30 for a burger? Wow!
As you can see by this description of the best restaurants in Moscow, this city caters to "rich and famous," ( keeping in mind that it's a city with 40+ billionaires and hundreds millionaires)

The 8 Best Restaurants in Moscow | Elite Traveler

so when you think "burger," don't think about the staple food somewhere around the corner, she was talking about burgers in "Starlite" in the article, and "Starlite" is *exotic American dining,* hence the price)))

Starlite Diner Food Menu

( That's why as it has been mentioned here, one should know the language and have friends among the locals in order to know where to go for a good meal without paying $ 30 for a burger.)

Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,104,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

You are right about RT being Putin's mouthpiece. It is a great online newsmagazine, but keep in mind that it is owned by the Kremlin, and the news is slanted to make the US look horrible. Readers are allowed to comment after each article, but the comments must coincide with RT's agenda. If comments are not approved by the comment czar, comments will disappear, and then if it happens repeatedly to the same commenter, commenters will disappear. Yes, if they don't like what you are saying, they will ban anyone from your ISP from commenting. It's the truth; I kid you not. RT has kept alive the spirit of the Soviet Union.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 863 times
Default Totally Agreed

It is completely biased...Read a poll on pro-American sentiment which showed almost 70% of Russians feel negatively towards the US and Americans. I frankly don't believe it. There is so much hype and nonsense being spun about life in Russia and Moscow. I will agree with one thing: real estate is over-the-top with "luxury apartments" in what I consider to be "average looking" buildings going for $millions...Rianovosti ran a slideshow of some of these apartment houses, worthy of a look :
[url=http://en.rian.ru/photolents/20100918/160622926.html]Most expensive houses in Moscow | Image galleries | RIA Novosti[/url] Best wishes

Old 08-18-2013, 01:52 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
You are right about RT being Putin's mouthpiece. It is a great online newsmagazine, but keep in mind that it is owned by the Kremlin, and the news is slanted to make the US look horrible. Readers are allowed to comment after each article, but the comments must coincide with RT's agenda. If comments are not approved by the comment czar, comments will disappear, and then if it happens repeatedly to the same commenter, commenters will disappear. Yes, if they don't like what you are saying, they will ban anyone from your ISP from commenting. It's the truth; I kid you not. RT has kept alive the spirit of the Soviet Union.
1. In the Russian media are less dependent on government than in the U.S..2. In Russia, a lot of other TV channels and sources of information.3. In Russia, more educated people, and they know how to think for themselves.4. Western media by 89 percent distort information about Russia. On this they speak openly. And it was no one stops. Since Russia has freedom of speech. The reason for the negative news about Russia? Because the Western people do not buy newspapers if it is positive news. This is indicated by Western journalists themselves who work in Russia.5. In Russia, America and the American people have a positive attitude (most of the common people).*To the U.S. government is negative and negative. Including me.In the West, most people think stereotypes. Most people in the world are not educated. I know a lot of people from different parts of the world. And it surprises me that from 18 - 30 years, people do not know is not history, not geography. some do not even know their own country. Sometimes I know more about the cities and their stories than they are. This is very sad. people in the world are degraded. These people are very easy to control and impose their views.
As for the U.S., America is a beautiful country and has a lot of good people. I have many friends in the U.S. with whom I talk constantly and they are good friends.But, as for the government, I have not seen so much hypocrisy and lies more than in the U.S.. But, I like the legislative and executive system.Sorry me for OF TOP!

Last edited by GreyKarast; 08-18-2013 at 02:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe