Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 08:19 PM

820 posts, read 953,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Sorry, but what you said is false and astonishingly ignorant. "The English look completely different from other Europeans!" Are you trying to say now that they are not Europeans? Now for your information, Celtic people are a European people. Brythonic and Gaelic branches were the northern Celts and they predominated in the British Isles, with Brythonic dominant in Britain and Gaelic in Ireland, but later in parts of Scotland due to invasion from Ireland. The English nation only came to existance after the coming of the Germanic people precisely the Angles, the Jutes and the Saxons. The very name England derives from "Angle-land" or land of the Angles. So please don't play the fool. I am well aware of your agenda against anti-English/British and anti-American or any other English-speaking person.
So let see the English, Irish (I.E.) and other U.K. populations do cluster close genetically to the Dutch (N.L.), other populations such as Danish(DK) and Norwegian (NO) as well.
This genetic map was made by biologists led by Manfred Kayser at the Erasmus University Medical Center in Rotterdam (Netherlands), shows similarities between European populations.
No, zektor is saying what all Europeans think!
We don't care to know if British have the same halogroups with Germans or Italians or whatever. What is sure is that Brits look completely different from other Europeans physically speaking.

Personally, it is impossible to me not recognizing a British even among 1000 other Europeans from all nationalities.
British people look totally different. They absolutely don't look German, or French or Dutch or Spanish or Belgian or Italian or Austrian etc... They Just Look British !

Once I was wrong because it was a welsh-irish person and not a British.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 09:37 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
We don't care to know if British have the same halogroups with Germans or Italians or whatever. What is sure is that Brits look completely different from other Europeans physically speaking.

Personally, it is impossible to me not recognizing a British even among 1000 other Europeans from all nationalities.
British people look totally different. They absolutely don't look German, or French or Dutch or Spanish or Belgian or Italian or Austrian etc... They Just Look British !

Oh well, with that note we could say the same for every European country. There are people who are typical within their population, typical Dutchman/woman or typical Frenchman or Russian and so on. However Zektor exaggerated when he said they don't look European. One of the reason, we are able perhaps to recognize those who are of British ancestry is due to the media, most of the world's well-known actors, actresses have some British/Irish or a combination of those ancestries. However, I do also recognize Dutch people, especially typical ones the same way, see.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:19 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,170 times
The athletes look totally different, the Dutch guy looks European, more like David Ginola ( forget hair colour). I have met many Dutch; look at Denis Bergkamp a very teutonic look, like Lothar Matthaus, Peter Schmicheal. The British do have a look( Alex Ferguson ) that can only be found in the American South.( Some Danes and Norwegians could just pass as Brits) In parts of London now, indigenous Brits do recognise each other immediately ( and Irish, of course) as there are so many nationalities from all over Europe and the world. It`s not racist, as most Brits look pasty and unfit, but there is that look, more so in a Global world.

Old 04-09-2016, 04:29 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,170 times
Amaro, tut, tut, tut, Welsh = BRITISH, the original BRITISH ( England is a PART of Britain) Merlin was probably Welsh. The English share ( nearly) the same DNA as the Welsh, Scottish but are British. Half of Northern Ireland have English/Scottish blood. Half of Liverpool has Southern Irish blood. Britain is tribal but England ( love it), is not Britain. Britain was here before the Romans, Jesus and the Scots ( who came from Northern Ireland and defeated a Pictish British King) . England is an invented name by Germanic warriors who laid claim to the land but never bred with the Britons ( hence their low dna).

Old 04-12-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
The athletes look totally different, the Dutch guy looks European, more like David Ginola ( forget hair colour). I have met many Dutch; look at Denis Bergkamp a very teutonic look, like Lothar Matthaus, Peter Schmicheal. The British do have a look( Alex Ferguson ) that can only be found in the American South.( Some Danes and Norwegians could just pass as Brits) In parts of London now, indigenous Brits do recognise each other immediately ( and Irish, of course) as there are so many nationalities from all over Europe and the world. It`s not racist, as most Brits look pasty and unfit, but there is that look, more so in a Global world.
The Dutch, British, Germans, French are all Europeans. So for saying that the British and Irish don't look "European' is only pure foolishness. However, we can say that Europeans have differences and similarities.

This Irish athlete below

is just as European-looking as the Dutch athlete.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:46 PM

The so-called "Germanic look" if we can call it that, is found in all the countries of Europe where Germanic people settled massively. This includes Britain and yes Germanic warriors did interbreed with the Brittonic people progressively while conquering all of Britain, this is already proven by DNA studies. England was named after them. Anglo-Saxon genes are found in Wales too brought by the English invaders later. Though the "Germanic look" is stereotypically blond, blue-eyed, it is definitely not always so. What does Lothar Matthaus or Willy Vander Kuijlen have in common with D.Bergkamp or Schmeichel?

Lothar Matthaus (Germany)

Willy Vander Kuijlen (Netherlands)

As in Dennis Bergkamp (Netherlands)

Floris Evers (Netherlands)

or Peter Schmeichel (Denmark)

Last edited by saxonwold; 04-12-2016 at 04:58 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Amaro, tut, tut, tut, Welsh = BRITISH, the original BRITISH ( England is a PART of Britain) Merlin was probably Welsh. The English share ( nearly) the same DNA as the Welsh, Scottish but are British. Half of Northern Ireland have English/Scottish blood. Half of Liverpool has Southern Irish blood. Britain is tribal but England ( love it), is not Britain. Britain was here before the Romans, Jesus and the Scots ( who came from Northern Ireland and defeated a Pictish British King) . England is an invented name by Germanic warriors who laid claim to the land but never bred with the Britons ( hence their low dna).
"Germanic DNA" ( from the Angles, Saxons, Jutes), within England varies per regions anywhere between 25% to 50%, according to recent studies released in December 2015. It is more common in the eastern English groups than in those of the west or north. So you cannot say their DNA is low. Put in mind, that apart from the Ancient Brittonic people, the people to have the strongest genetic impact on the British people genetically are the Anglo-Saxons, confirmed by POBI studies.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post
english look completely different from continental europeans both in physical appearance and mentality.
English nation is mostly product of ancient brythonic and gaelic tribes with a dash of everything else, not the other way around. You are just the typical american young boy who never been to europe and read too much tabloids... I live and work among several european nationalities on a daily... and believe me the English are nothing like Dutch people, nor they are close to anyone in the continent... only the Irish resemble them in appearance and(on a lesser extent).mentality.
Nonsense! Both Scotland and especially Ireland are as blue-eyed as Denmark which is more blue or lighter-eyed than the Dutch as a whole. The only difference is that the Danes have a higher frequency of blonde-haired people than the Scottish and Irish who would have more brown hair. In fact no country in the world can surpass Ireland in the combination of people with pale or freckled skin, blue eyes and brown hair.

Old 04-15-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post

What one thinks and what is true, are two different things. Wales is part of what is Great Britain. They are British, in fact "so British". Of all the British populations (English, Welsh and Scots), Welsh are actually the closest genetically to the pre-Roman era inhabitants of Britain according to DNA studies and are predominantly Celtic but Germanic admixture.

Some of Wales athletes (They look quite European to me).

Old 04-15-2016, 09:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Most countries on the European fringe have some traits that pop up enough to distinguish the population, in general, from the genetic melting pot of central Europe, but any one Brit, Pole, Swede, or Sicilian cannot be definitively identified as such in a vacuum.

As the saying goes, 'You can tell ten Greeks from ten Swedes easier than telling one Greek from one Swede.'

That said I would bet my dear mother's life that the athlete pictured in post #85 was from an island northwest of Belgium. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe