Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 12:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
And that looks like a presby church.
New England protestanism was traditionally Congregationalist, which I'd guess is somewhat related to Presbyterianism.

Quote:
In Northern Ireland they actually do - well the presby ones anyway.
They actually do what?

Anyhow, the pattern here seems to be the more rural, usually smaller churches tend to be wood and the more urban ones stone or brick regardless of denomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 12:37 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Ugh nevermind i'm too tired to explain. It's pretty obvious what i'm talking about but anyway.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Did you mean you can tell easily if a church is Presby or Catholic by outside appearance in Northern Ireland?

Old 10-27-2013, 01:05 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,026,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
I can confirm that very, very many buildings where I live, including the apartment block where I live, is made out of red brick, like in England and Wales. The church in Sölvesborg, which is the oldest building in town, is from the end of the 1200's, and is made of red brick.

(yes, the photo is mine)
Nice. Do you take a lot of photographs? Do you live anywhere near Lund? I chat to someone online from there. It looks insanely beautiful.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Did you mean you can tell easily if a church is Presby or Catholic by outside appearance in Northern Ireland?
Yes

Old 10-27-2013, 04:10 PM

990 posts, read 1,944,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
Nice. Do you take a lot of photographs? Do you live anywhere near Lund? I chat to someone online from there. It looks insanely beautiful.
I live in Sölvesborg, which is about 1 and a half hour from Lund, and about 2 hours from Copenhagen. From Lund you can reach Kristianstad, Ystad, Helsingborg, Hässleholm, Kristianstad, Malmö, Copenhagen and Helsingør within an hour with train, bus or car.

Here is some pics I took today of my town, that I find similar to England:

Apartment blocks:

Old shoe factory, used as a warehouse:

Some old factory at the harbour, used as a warehouse:

Some streets in the suburbs:

Factory, in use:

Main street through the town:

The train station:

Could anyone be able to tell that these photos were not taken in England, besides obvious things like road signs and cars driving on the right?

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 10-27-2013 at 04:31 PM..

Old 10-27-2013, 04:43 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Could anyone be able to tell that these photos were not taken in England, besides obvious things like road signs and cars driving on the right?
It's obvious they aren't from England from the first picture already. That is a typical Nordic house with mirroring apartments and one single stairway in the center, a so called punkthus. Have tons of those here.

The second and third pictures show also clearly that it's from the Nordic countries. Which means the common parking lot. You see those often here, where there's a lot of space to waste. In England the parking space is an individual one for every apartment on the front yard, or the parking is on the streetside. One reason is also that many of the buildings in the UK are much older, meaning that during construction nobody even thought about parking lots. In the Nordic countries the vast majority of housing are built during the time when the society was already motorized.

Most of those detached houses are also zoned in a typical Nordic fashion. Some houses here and there face completely different directions, when in Britain the houses almost always face directly to the street.
Also, in most cases in Britain you couldn't dream of having a front and back yard of that size. The average width of a side street is also a lot larger than in the UK.
You could also add that British suburbs are apparently built on the same time on a larger scale, meaning that individual houses look similar, when in the Nordics where the suburbs are rarely started and finished on the same time, neighboring houses can look completely different from each other. (As they do in your pictures.)
And you will never see a house that have wood even as decoration in the UK, if I'm correct.

I'm sorry, but I think you're trying too hard to show Sweden as something that it isn't. Could those pictures be from Finland, Poland or Northern Germany? Yes. From England - never.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:47 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
They have some similarities to England, but you can tell they are not from England, and I could not mistake them as being in England. The last one is the most English-looking.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
I live in Sölvesborg, which is about 1 and a half hour from Lund, and about 2 hours from Copenhagen. From Lund you can reach Kristianstad, Ystad, Helsingborg, Hässleholm, Kristianstad, Malmö, Copenhagen and Helsingør within an hour with train, bus or car.

Here is some pics I took today of my town, that I find similar to England:

Apartment blocks:

Old shoe factory, used as a warehouse:

Some old factory at the harbour, used as a warehouse:

Some streets in the suburbs:

Factory, in use:

Main street through the town:

The train station:

We don't have those rooves.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:20 PM

The suburban houses don't look British. Btw, Scandinavian suburbs looked the most American (at least eastern US) to me than any others in Europe. More wooded homes, somewhat larger lots, and the greenery around them seems less manicured and more wild; an "in the forest look". Suggesting some of the in between space was just left to grew wild and has native vegetation.

Still, I wouldn't mistake a Scandinavian suburb for an American one. The brick shoe factory and the following brick factory could be from Massachusetts. But as Ariete says, brick industrial buildings of that style are common throughout the rest of the world. Still, they seem less common in the rest of the US (industrialized later?) outside the Northeast. If you really like old brick factories, here's Lowell, Massachusetts. Textiles. Lots of textiles. Similar style found in other cities all the Merrimack River (Nashua, Lawrence, Haverhill, Manchester):

City that won't die - Lowell, Mass. (Downtown/Mill Complexes) - SkyscraperPage Forum

outside downtown, the residential architecture is mostly wood unlike most of europe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe