Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2014, 06:51 PM

990 posts, read 1,943,989 times

Advertisements

I feel this is worth posting here as well. Shows how similar some of the North Germanic languages are (the standard variants of the 3 major ones), but also how very different some others are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxQotL1cTB8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 11:19 AM

123 posts, read 185,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
German Low Saxon and Dutch Low Saxon are mutually intelligble (for the most part). But Dutch Low Saxon is not mutually intelligible to Standard Dutch. I should know as I grew up in the region where Low Saxon is spoken (eastern Gelderland) and when I say something in Low Saxon to my friends in Limburg (where I live now) the reaction is pretty much ... ... ...
So true, when I hear someone in Achterhoeks or Twents it's so easy for me but when I hear someone in Limburgish it's complete gibberish. For friends from Rotterdam Gronings is also complete abacadabra But as you said, everyone in NL uses standard Dutch too, so it is just a cultural richness to have standard Dutch and dialects everywhere.

German Lower Saxon:

For me, this is 100% understandable without even knowing or studying Plattdeutsch for 1 second. Dialect continuum.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:20 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erka View Post
For me, this is 100% understandable without even knowing or studying Plattdeutsch for 1 second. Dialect continuum.
Wow. Not even remotely understandable. Except some short phrases like "Pass auf jetzt!". Even Swiss German is clearer. Unfortunately, most Germans seem to have dropped their dialect/regional language completely...

Old 11-18-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Wow. Not even remotely understandable. Except some short phrases like "Pass auf jetzt!". Even Swiss German is clearer. Unfortunately, most Germans seem to have dropped their dialect/regional language completely...
Aren't at least dialects/regional languages like Bavarian, Swabian and Franconian still widely spoken?

Old 11-18-2014, 01:58 PM

This sounds like the type of mutual intelliigibility that exists between distinct Scandinavian dialects. Someone from Härjedalen, Sweden speaking their regional dialect will mostly not be intelligible to other people in Sweden, but people from neighboring Trønderlag (where Trondheim is located) across the Norwegian border will understand them fully. And likewise, people from Trønderlag will not be understood by other Norwegians if they insist on speaking their regional Trøndish dialect.

Of course, Härjedalians can speak Standard Swedish perfectly, and likewise Trønders can speak Bokmål, so there won't be any problem for other people to communicate with them.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Aren't at least dialects/regional languages like Bavarian, Swabian and Franconian still widely spoken?
Well, it's getting less and less common. Bavarian is pretty much dead in Munich already, even in the Bavarian countryside the younger generation doesn't know how to properly speak the dialect. Same situation in other German cities (Cologne, Hamburg, ...).

Some people speak "Standard German" with a slight regional accent (rolling R in Bavaria, or Eastern German intonation), but that's nothing like the original dialects.

Funnily enough, something similar is noticeable in Austria: Upper Austrians, Lower Austrians, Salzburgians, Styrians and people from Burgenland increasingly use Viennese instead of their regional dialect (e.g. håb instead of hån (eng.: have; ger: habe) in Upper Austria).

Old 11-18-2014, 01:59 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times
Quote:
German Lower Saxon:

I understand most of it as well. It's a bit different than Dutch Lower Saxon but definitely close enough to be mutually intelligible. I can assure you that anyone from the south or west of the Netherlands would have no clue what the guy is rambling about though

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
That's why I said earlier not to confuse these border dialects with the standard language that the rest of the country speaks because they're almost a different language of their own.

We have the same issue in parts of the Netherlands. In the east where I'm from, hardly anyone under the age of 30 speaks Low Saxon. It's seen as "uncivilized" and not cool. Older people on the other hand speak almost exclusively in dialect.

In Limburg on the other hand, the regional dialect is widely spoken by young and old and people seem proud of it. Even the street names are often in Dutch and Limburgish.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
That's why I said earlier not to confuse these border dialects with the standard language that the rest of the country speaks because they're almost a different language of their own.
Actually, I always thought that it's considered a language on its own

Old 11-18-2014, 02:20 PM

What seems to be a major difference here is that the standard variants of the 3 major North Germanic languages are way, way more mutually intelligible to eachothers than Standard German and Standard Dutch are to eachothers.

Someone here said he as a German speaker won't be able to read a newspaper article in Dutch. But thats not how it is here, I can read a newspaper article in Danish or Norwegian without a problem, infact there is a couple of Danish tabloids I check daily online. The written standards of the 3 major North Germanic languages are even closer than the spoken standards. But still can't read anything written in Icelandic, maybe recognize a few words here and there and maybe a couple of sentences, but not more.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:20 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,147 times
Quote:
But as you said, everyone in NL uses standard Dutch too
Do people from Flemish Belgium use standard Dutch? I mean for instance during a job interview or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe