Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:34 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,855,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habibi_Love View Post
Gas prices are $1.20/L in CAN... How much in Sweden?

We always drive down to NY, PA & NJ for shopping twice a year... No sales tax and lots of shopping places.
I guess we should continue doing the same
$2.20/L...

The public transport is excellent in Stockholm and the subway (and train) goes trough Solna, so you'll be probably relying on public transport pretty much.

You can go shopping in Estonia, if the price of clothing is too much in Sweden for your taste. And buy your booze at the same time.

Last edited by Ariete; 11-21-2013 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:02 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,366,921 times
Quote:
Thank you all... Hopefully I will like it.

Gas prices are $1.20/L in CAN... How much in Sweden?

We always drive down to NY, PA & NJ for shopping twice a year... No sales tax and lots of shopping places.
I guess we should continue doing the same
You can find everything you need in Solna Centrum, and if you don´t find it there midtown Stockholm is 10 minutes away with subway, bus or commuter train. A car is unnecessary and a hassle.
There is also free buses every weekday from the central stations to IKEA which also has other large stores nearby.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
A car is unnecessary and a hassle.
I agree. I'm not saying this in an insulting way, but many Americans have difficulties perceiving that a car isn't a must have thing in most European cities, but is often a more difficult and time-consuming method of travel.

Stockholm is not a simple grid plan city with wide avenues. Most streets are narrow with one lane in both directions (or one-way) and parking is extremely difficult to find (believe me). You will be sitting in traffic lights triple the time than using the subway.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:41 AM

990 posts, read 1,946,430 times
I live in a small Swedish town and not even I need a car. You can get pretty much everywhere with the awesome Swedish and European railway system. Let's say I want to go to Copenhagen (Denmark), then I just jump on a train here in Sölvesborg and I'm in Denmark 2 hours later for only 20 euro. Or if I want to go to Stockholm for that matter, there is trains for that as well that takes 5 hours or so (Stockholm is alot more far away from me than Copenhagen). And if I want to go to Germany, Poland or even Lithuania there is nearby ferries for that.

Public transport (buses, trains, subway and ferries) is a whole lot more common and convenient in Europe than in North America.

From Stockholm there is direct trains to big cities like Copenhagen (Denmark), Oslo (Norway) and Gothenburg (Sweden). Stockholm also has direct ferries to Finland, Estonia and Latvia.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:43 AM

19 posts, read 40,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
You can find everything you need in Solna Centrum, and if you don´t find it there midtown Stockholm is 10 minutes away with subway, bus or commuter train. A car is unnecessary and a hassle.
There is also free buses every weekday from the central stations to IKEA which also has other large stores nearby.
I do not like public transportation... Very annoying and not convenient as car especially with kids.
I will look into Solna Centrum... Hopefully they have great stores.

I had no idea Stockholm city only has around 800,000 people.. I thought it had much more.
Kind of small for my taste but not a big deal. Montreal has almost 1.8 M in city and close to 4 M in metro...

Is traffic bad in the city and Solna?

Old 11-21-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
I live in a small Swedish town and not even I need a car.

From Stockholm there is direct trains to big cities like Copenhagen (Denmark), Oslo (Norway) and Gothenburg (Sweden). Stockholm also has direct ferries to Finland, Estonia and Latvia.
I love driving and hate taking public transportation when going for shopping.

How much does it cost to visit those capital cities from Stockholm? Would be interesting to visit for weekend.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:

How much does it cost to visit those capital cities from Stockholm? Would be interesting to visit for weekend.
The cruise ships to Helsinki and Tallinn are very inexpensive. You can get a cabin for 4 persons back and forth for less than $200. The five-hour train to Copenhagen is around $300 (2k SEK) for 4 persons one way. To Oslo it's around $200, but might take 8 hours, so I think flying is easier.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:25 AM

990 posts, read 1,946,430 times
Quote:

Stockholm-Olso: 480 kronor ($75 CAD)
Stockholm-Copenhagen: 527 kronor ($82 CAD)
Stockholm-Gothenburg: 341 kronor ($53 CAD)

(Gothenburg is not a capital, but the second biggest city in Sweden)

That's some typical prices for those routes with train, just checked sj.se, the website where you can buy tickets from SJ, the government owned passenger train operator in Sweden.

Some days it's a little bit cheaper than those, and some days it's a little bit more expensive, but it's around those prices. And for those under 19 it's of course little bit cheaper. Long distance trains like that are also very comfortable where you can buy food aboard, and very comfortable chairs. From Stockholm to Copenhagen takes 6 hours, and to Copenhagen it usually takes 5 hours.

And you dont even need to show a passport when crossing the borders to Denmark and Norway, due to the Nordic Passport Union that allows free and open travel that makes it feel like you are just going from one province to another.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-21-2013 at 09:34 AM..

Old 11-21-2013, 10:42 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,115,007 times
The public transportation systems in these places are really good and much better than ours. (Especially the intercity rail.)

That said we often hear that it is virtually impossible to navigate these countries (especially the cities) by car but I would disagree. Only the historic very central areas (usually quite small) of most cities is difficult for motorists, and even the inner areas of cities are not so bad. You just have to be prepared to pay for parking. But living in Montreal you are used to this in the central old part of the city as well.

I say this as someone who has navigated much of continental Europe by car with kids in tow over the past few years, including part of this past summer.

And this was in much "tighter" countries (I mean denser) than Sweden BTW.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Stockholm-Olso: 480 kronor ($75 CAD)
Stockholm-Copenhagen: 527 kronor ($82 CAD)
Stockholm-Gothenburg: 341 kronor ($53 CAD)

(Gothenburg is not a capital, but the second biggest city in Sweden)

That's some typical prices for those routes with train, just checked sj.se, the website where you can buy tickets from SJ, the government owned passenger train operator in Sweden.

Some days it's a little bit cheaper than those, and some days it's a little bit more expensive, but it's around those prices. And for those under 19 it's of course little bit cheaper. Long distance trains like that are also very comfortable where you can buy food aboard, and very comfortable chairs. From Stockholm to Copenhagen takes 6 hours, and to Copenhagen it usually takes 5 hours.

And you dont even need to show a passport when crossing the borders to Denmark and Norway, due to the Nordic Passport Union that allows free and open travel that makes it feel like you are just going from one province to another.
Great... Thanks!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe