Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 08:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
Spanish people like tacos and other spicy foods and Portuguese people like milder foods.
Huh???? You aren't confusing Spanish and Mexican, are you? Very few, if any, Spanish dishes have spices in them

[quote=F18;35727792]
He is the ultimate self-hating Latin American I've ever seen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 03:58 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan Shinde View Post
Both are very touristy and are close linguistically and culturally.Both had dictators doing well till the mid 70's and both are debt laden

The US is debt laden, not Spain.
As to dictators, I don't remember any.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:58 AM

560 posts, read 599,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Franco in Spain (where the royal family even had to flee, and they lived in Cascais, Portugal near Lisbon for like a decade or so) and Salazar in Portugal

Old 09-18-2014, 01:53 PM

564 posts, read 747,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
We get it, you're one of those Northern Europe obsessed Americans
I stand corrected, I was wrong, apparently Repubocrat is not not American, he's a Brazilian that emigrated to the US and become an ultra libertarian/conservative that has an extreme hatred of anything even remotely resembling liberalism.

There's also a certain subset of Brazilians that hate and blame Portugal for all of Brazil's woes and difficulties and it looks like he's one of those as he bashes Portugal any chance he gets.

Last edited by Winchupuata; 09-18-2014 at 02:04 PM..

Old 09-20-2014, 01:04 AM

121 posts, read 388,959 times
Quote:
List of countries by external debt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spain has a higher external debt as percentage of GDP than the US.

External debt = the total public and private debt owed to nonresidents repayable in internationally accepted currencies, goods, or services.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:33 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
I stand corrected, I was wrong, apparently Repubocrat is not not American, he's a Brazilian that emigrated to the US and become an ultra libertarian/conservative that has an extreme hatred of anything even remotely resembling liberalism.

There's also a certain subset of Brazilians that hate and blame Portugal for all of Brazil's woes and difficulties and it looks like he's one of those as he bashes Portugal any chance he gets.
I love the idea of this Brazilian masquerading as a gun-crazy redneck teabagger like a real-life Uncle Ruckus.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Franco in Spain (where the royal family even had to flee, and they lived in Cascais, Portugal near Lisbon for like a decade or so) and Salazar in Portugal

The royal family fled because leftists/republicants wanted to cut their neck in 1931. Franco was not a dictator.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:08 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,929 times
Quote:
External debt = Public debt+Private debt.
Public (government) debt makes up about 98% of total external debt, private debt is miniscule.
The US is NOT debt laden, Its debt is average in size compared to most countries in the world.
In fact:
Most developed countries run a high Public debt I.e. Japan running at over 226% of total GDP.
Most underdeveloped countries run a low Public debt I.e. Liberia running at about 3% of total GDP.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...cam&rank=46#es

The debt "crisis" is really a political manufactured scare tactic.

Last edited by cjester; 09-21-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 03:04 AM

According to the IMF, a number of countries face heavy debt burden, such as Buthan (an estimated 100% of GDP in 2014,) Eritrea (123%,) Grenada (112%,) Jamaica (139%,) Lebanon (136%,) Maldives (122%,) Singapore (101%,) Saint Kitts and Nevis (133%,) Sudan (115%,) and the United States (114%.) (Spain is 105, but the country is not in crisis anymore and Chinese don't control public debt).

I'm citing countries that according to the IMF, could face problems in the future. Not citing Japan, that traditionally always had a very high heavy debt.

Plus, "private debt" in the US is atrocious, trillions, plus held in not very friendly hand. Those countries can influence in the sovereignity of the US (and the western world) by flooding t bills.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:45 PM

492 posts, read 1,149,929 times
Quote:
According to the IMF, a number of countries face heavy debt burden, such as Buthan (an estimated 100% of GDP in 2014,) Eritrea (123%,) Grenada (112%,) Jamaica (139%,) Lebanon (136%,) Maldives (122%,) Singapore (101%,) Saint Kitts and Nevis (133%,) Sudan (115%,) and the United States (114%.) (Spain is 105, but the country is not in crisis anymore and Chinese don't control public debt).

I'm citing countries that according to the IMF, could face problems in the future. Not citing Japan, that traditionally always had a very high heavy debt.

Plus, "private debt" in the US is atrocious, trillions, plus held in not very friedly hnand Those countries can influence in the sovereignity of the US (and the western world) by flooding t bills.
Your post is too convoluted, It would take me forever trying to explain Economics to you.
First off: The IMF would be the last institution to get reference from, since they are too tied up with the banking system and wall street, the IMF looks out for their interests not the whole country's interests.
Secondly: Developed and highly industrialized countries like Japan and the US can handle high debt, as Japan has been doing for the last 20 years with NO problem.
Small and less developed countries can not handle high debt, since their industry and their human resources does not allow it. That's is why most of them run low debt.

Then you say: "private debt" in the US is atrocious, plus held in not very friendly hand.

Private debt is held by banks mainly. Private debt can be student loans, credit card loans, car loans, mortgage loans. I do agree that banks do not have friendly hands when you can not pay them. However they can always get a government bailout and do not have to pay it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe