Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 06:58 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Gorreto, population: 105, was always small, but now the tiny village, nestled in a river valley in northern Italy, is on the brink of extinction.

Most of the remaining residents are over 60 and the primary school attended by Mayor Sergio Capelli, 72, closed about 30 years ago - a stark example of the nationwide demographic decline as Italians live longer and have fewer babies.

Pristine but desolate, the Italian villages facing extinction | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 01:14 PM

169 posts, read 294,157 times
Yes but there are already DOZENS of small towns in Italy that are Città Fantasme or ghost towns as either all the inhabitants had moved out or died off. Last summer I took (with a friend) a drive into the interior of Molise and we went to see half a dozen hill top towns and I tell you most of them had maybe a few hundred elderly residents left and it was clear that whenever the last of them dies off the city would effectively be deserted. This is because all the young people had moved away in search of a job/better life. For instance, if you ask anyone in these tiny hill top towns where did everyone go they will tell you Termoli, a beautiful seaside town in Molise that has stores, malls, movie theaters, basically all that a modern city has to offer.
Molise is beautiful and I tell you (like any other rural parts in Italy) when you drive through these towns it is like going back in time. Also, as an American I asked my Italian friend "why did they build a city here on this hill in what seems like the middle of nowhere?" The response is years ago villages were built high up to offer it's citizens protection as well as a heads up if invaders came. Also Italy was an agricultural country so the land itself was a persons source of income. Being born in America our cities got populated or grew up around a source of income which was usually factory, mining, finance (like many cities on the East Coast) etc. but never because the land offered protection. So that was extremely interesting.
Anyway click below for a list of towns in Italy that are deserted. Notice they have them in EVERY region!
Città fantasma in Italia - Wikipedia (it is in italian so use google to translate)

Old 03-06-2014, 05:06 PM

217 posts, read 277,413 times
This topic reminds me of a movie that i really recommend

Histórias que só existem quando lembradas (trailer) - YouTube

Old 03-06-2014, 06:56 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Those isolated areas are being abandoned not due so much to population decline, but because young people these days aren't very interested in farming, sheepherding, cheesemaking, and producing traditional crafts. Life has moved on. Somehow, Romania and the Balkan countries have managed to keep the traditional life going. We'll see how long it lasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe