Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 15,490 times

Advertisements

I've got a job offer in Vienna and the salary indication is 2300 euros gross a month. I've got no clue what I'd earn after taxes, nor do I know if that would be enough to live off. It's just myself, so I don't have to support a family. Is it a good salary? Average? Way too low to house and feed myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
2300€ a month is a very poor salary. If I understood correctly you will take home less than 23k€ a year, which is very poor for Vienna, and below the average wage in Austria. You'll have to rent a small dump in the suburbs for 500-600€ a month.

Hell no. You'll live, but that salary is some serious crap.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:02 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
https://www.bmf.gv.at/steuern/selbst...euertarif.html
It depends on what your needs and wants are.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:25 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,029 times
2300*0,65=1495€; That's roughly what you'd earn after taxes and social security contributions. Not that much, it's what a recent university graduate would earn. In which field do you intend to work?

You could definitely get by with this and have a decent life. Partying and all. Depends on what you are expecting, though. An apartment in the first district? Nope. But you could definitely find a studio in districts 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 (which are more interesting than the 1st one anyway) for around €500-€600.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
You could definitely get by with this and have a decent life. Partying and all. Depends on what you are expecting, though. An apartment in the first district? Nope. But you could definitely find a studio in districts 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 (which are more interesting than the 1st one anyway) for around €500-€600.
Look at that, Vienna isn't that expensive after all. Rents seem to be much cheaper than in Helsinki, more like the level in Turku, though utilities cost the double. Well, anyway, I wouldn't move abroad to for less than the nationwide average wage.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Look at that, Vienna isn't that expensive after all. Rents seem to be much cheaper than in Helsinki, more like the level in Turku, though utilities cost the double. Well, anyway, I wouldn't move abroad to for less than the nationwide average wage.
Well, it can get quite pricey, if you want to live a life in the centre of the city with a bigger and better apartment. When you want to leave your life as a student behind, so to speak.

Those 500-600€ would mean a 30-40m2 studio in a pretty old building. Those old buildings can be quite nice, and are usually freshly renovated, but often lack things like an elevator Perfect for a student, but you know...
A 100m2 flat in district 7, where I live at the moment, with elevator and a new kitchen is pretty much unaffordable.

There are good deals in district 2 along the newly built subway line U2, though. Maybe that's worth to look into. Life in the "suburbs" wouldn't be my cup of tea, though.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 15,490 times
I am a recent university graduate, so that's not too bad then. It's a starting researcher position. I'm not expecting a top of the line appartment, but my own bathroom and kitchen would be a must, apart from a bedroom and living room. And then I'd like to have enough money left over to eat But if 2300 gross a month is a normal salary for a recent graduate, I think that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 AM

Who would need a 100m2 apartment? Does your surname begin with 'von' or something? We were 3 in a 75m2 apartment close to Central Helsinki and man it was crowded.

Elevators are overrated. 3 of 4 of the last houses I've lived in lacked one.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM9 View Post
I am a recent university graduate, so that's not too bad then. It's a starting researcher position. I'm not expecting a top of the line appartment, but my own bathroom and kitchen would be a must, apart from a bedroom and living room. And then I'd like to have enough money left over to eat But if 2300 gross a month is a normal salary for a recent graduate, I think that shouldn't be a problem.
It really depends on your needs then But yeah, you'll definitely find something for that money. There are still more than enough people who only earn around €1000 (after taxes) a month...

That's a fairly popular site for apartments:
Immobilien - derStandard.at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete
Does your surname begin with 'von' or something?
The "von" in names got prohibited after WW1 here in Austria. And before that my ancestors were busy nailing shoes together Personally, I live in a cozy 14m2 dorm room

Old 06-19-2015, 02:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,673 times
On a similar sort of topic, my company will be holding a project in Austria and I'm trying to figure out a daily rate that would be a little above average, fair but competitive, the work is mostly driving with a bit of admin, any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe