Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2019, 09:31 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

I looked up the claim of inventing the first artificial heart device. Wiki says, that the first one to actually be implanted in a person was invented by an American, and they also mention a Dutch cardiologist. They say various models were invented prior to that, but none had actually been put to use inside a patient.

Quote:
An artificial heart is a device that replaces the heart. Artificial hearts are typically used to bridge the time to heart transplantation, or to permanently replace the heart in case heart transplantation is impossible. Although other similar inventions preceded it from the late 1940s, the first artificial heart to be successfully implanted in a human was the Jarvik-7 in 1982, designed by a team including Willem Johan Kolff and Robert Jarvik.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Russia to develop the arctic and at the St Petersburg Forum Putin let it be known investors are welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtQnrhQ4Qz0&app=desktop

I think Putin and his people are doing the right thing, laying the groundwork for a properous nation and self sufficiency.
Self-sufficiency, as the planet goes down in flames. Greater self-sufficiency is a noble goal, and more economic development should have been given priority long ago, but Putin ignores, hides, and denies the evidence of global warming, in order to be free to proceed full speed ahead with industrial development, mining, etc. Most Russians have no idea there have been huge forest fires in the Baikal region, and that the Amur region is also prone to fires.

And the Arctic regions are the most sensitive to climate change, and have shown the most extreme temperature fluctuations of any geographic region, but when you control the media, you're able to sweep that under the carpet.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:28 AM

1,348 posts, read 625,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Self-sufficiency, as the planet goes down in flames. Greater self-sufficiency is a noble goal, and more economic development should have been given priority long ago, but Putin ignores, hides, and denies the evidence of global warming, in order to be free to proceed full speed ahead with industrial development, mining, etc. Most Russians have no idea there have been huge forest fires in the Baikal region, and that the Amur region is also prone to fires.

And the Arctic regions are the most sensitive to climate change, and have shown the most extreme temperature fluctuations of any geographic region, but when you control the media, you're able to sweep that under the carpet.

You don't right. Forests in Far-East regions burn every summer and when it's happens says in each news release about it. And this is not the effect of climate warming. It's just arsons.

https://www.1tv.ru/news/2019-04-18/3...nymi_pozharami

Old 04-18-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
You don't right. Forests in Far-East regions burn every summer and when it's happens says in each news release about it. And this is not the effect of climate warming. It's just arsons.

https://www.1tv.ru/news/2019-04-18/3...nymi_pozharami
"Just" arsons? I doubt there are repeated cases of arson, or careless handling of campfires. Are campfires even allowed in a zapovednik? Carelessness, as in not fully extinguishing a campfire, is not considered arson, btw. Arson is the deliberate setting of a fire to intentionally cause damage.

There's a cyclical climatic phenomenon, that causes fires in Australia and the Far East, and unusually heavy rains and flooding on the other side of the Pacific (California, etc.). This used to occur roughly every 7 years, but is happening more frequently, now. This was the case in the RFE/Amur in 1998, for example, and in the US in Autumn/Winter 2015/16. So that seems to coincide with the 2016 fires in the Amur region. I used to go to the Amur and Baikal area every summer, and there were no fires, except very rarely, as I explained.

There have been fires in Irkutskii oblast' and Mongolia, that weren't the result of arson, either. But at least these things are being reported. Perhaps the article or video I saw online was wrong about that, then.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:56 AM

NASA photo of multiple forest fires near Baikal in May 2014.
https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard...baikal-russia/

Quote:
Lake Baikal, which is usually still frozen over at this time of year, can clearly be seen in the image. At this time, though, the lake has lost all of its ice coverage already even though snow still surrounds it. Temperatures in this region have skyrocketed in the past few weeks to the 70s prompting outbreaks of fires. Temperatures are usually cooler until late July/early August when the bulk of the wildfires in this area normally erupt. Careless handling with fire and withered dry grass fires on the croplands reportedly were the main reasons for the fires.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:38 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
^

At this point I am much more concerned by the Chinese cutting the forest in the Russian Far East and Siberia.
Courtesy of the Putin-Medvedev tandem and their program of "the territories set aside for the rapid economic development."

( But then, again, the "Chinese tiger" was brought to life by American greedy corporations, and now China uniting with Russia is unforeseen but quite logical outcome of it all.)

Old 04-18-2019, 07:04 PM

427 posts, read 245,913 times
I'm researching becoming a student in Russia and then getting a TRP, but I'm very confused on how this works.

First, you have to get a student visa. Okay, that's fine. The student visa is valid for 90 days and can be renewed with permission from the educational institution (?).

To get a TRP, it says you have to be there at least 6 months, and then it takes 6 months to issue it. Let's say your program is less than a year long, what do you do in the meantime between the program ending and you waiting for a TRP?

Also, I keep reading about quotas, and I'm not sure I'm understanding what they mean. Is it like a lottery, or is it literally just first come, first serve. If you're the first one there, and you have all required documents, will you get one, or do they add you to the list?

Also, none of the information I'm finding is very clear: I do have to go to one of the third party visa locations, or a consulate location in the U.S, correct? I believe that's what I'm seeing.

On second thought, these are questions for Russians. Why would you know anything about the last question on getting visas in the US...:P

Last edited by CuriousAboutRussia; 04-18-2019 at 07:28 PM..

Old 04-18-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
I'm researching becoming a student in Russia and then getting a TRP, but I'm very confused on how this works.

First, you have to get a student visa. Okay, that's fine. The student visa is valid for 90 days and can be renewed with permission from the educational institution (?).

To get a TRP, it says you have to be there at least 6 months, and then it takes 6 months to issue it. Let's say your program is less than a year long, what do you do in the meantime between the program ending and you waiting for a TRP?
. You're out of luck. You have to leave the country, which means you lose your eligibility. There are programs that are a full academic year long, though; or there used to be. Look into one of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia;
Also, I keep reading about quotas, and I'm not sure I'm understanding what they mean. Is it like a lottery, or is it literally just first come, first serve. If you're the first one there, and you have all required documents, will you get one, or do they add you to the list?

Also, none of the information I'm finding is very clear: I do have to go to one of the third party visa locations, or a consulate location in the U.S, correct? I believe that's what I'm seeing.

On second thought, these are questions for Russians. Why would you know anything about the last question on getting visas in the US...:P
Where do you live? Where's the nearest Russian consulate to you? You should go there and ask.

It might not be a bad idea for you to go on a short study program there first, to see if you even like the country and living conditions. Test the waters first, so to speak. Right now, you're getting ready to make a big commitment, without ever having set foot in the country.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:44 PM

427 posts, read 245,913 times
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
. You're out of luck. You have to leave the country, which means you lose your eligibility. There are programs that are a full academic year long, though; or there used to be. Look into one of those.
Where do you live? Where's the nearest Russian consulate to you? You should go there and ask.

It might not be a bad idea for you to go on a short study program there first, to see if you even like the country and living conditions. Test the waters first, so to speak. Right now, you're getting ready to make a big commitment, without ever having set foot in the country.
Hence why I'm looking at language study programs! I live in Missouri, so the nearest location that you can get a visa in is Texas. I'll email them. Didn't think of that, DOH.

I reckon I could sign up for a half year long program and if I like the first half year, continue with another half year. I could always take a second year of university if I had to.

Also, the decision has not been made yet. I just like figuring out details well in advance.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAboutRussia View Post
Thanks

Hence why I'm looking at language study programs! I live in Missouri, so the nearest location that you can get a visa in is Texas. I'll email them. Didn't think of that, DOH.

I reckon I could sign up for a half year long program and if I like the first half year, continue with another half year. I could always take a second year of university if I had to.

Also, the decision has not been made yet. I just like figuring out details well in advance.
Yeah, that should make quite an impression:

Quote:
"Esteemed Consular Staff,

I'm inquiring about the process for getting a ___ visa. It's my hope to emigrate to Russia. I have Russian heritage, and dream of living in the country of my ancestors! I have modest steady income, which I could have transferred to a bank account in Russia on a monthly basis; I don't expect to need a job. I am currently studying Russian, and plan to enroll in a language study course in Russia, as a first step.

I have some questions about the process of applying for a ______. visa. I hope you could help me understand the process.

[continued]

I would appreciate any clarification you could provide.

Respectfully,

______________. "
I''d love to be a fly on the wall, to watch their reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe