Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2020, 08:23 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
From what I have read about it it wasn't attempted genocide. It was ethnic cleansing with little care for the fate of the victims due to prejudice and inability of the authorities to care for them. Bad organization, enmity and all those human indecencies we all like to sweep under the carpet.

Armenians have a right to be pissed off about it.
It’s similar to what happened to the Japanese during WWII except instead of of being wound up and thrown into internment camps, the Turks came and slaughtered them. From what I’ve read the Armenians were a real 5th column threat, but still that was really extreme and was legitimate ethnic cleansing/genocide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 09:18 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I’m well aware of Azeri ancient origin, in contemporary issues that fact is almost irrelevant, the culture has been completely changed, they don’t associate them selves with Iranic people anymore.
Except for that Southern part of Azerbaijan is still part of Iran and Azeri language is the second most spoken in Iran.
I don't know yet whether this can be a factor in a bigger game or not.

Quote:
Similar to how most Turks are not very different from the ancient Anatolians/Greeks that proceeded the Turkish invasion, but the people there had their culture exterminated and forgotten.
It's "exterminated and forgotten" precisely because the Anatolians/Greeks were overtaken by an alien ( unrelated) nation, with different religion/culture, that killed the original one, and as the result of the genetic mixture between Greeks/Anatolians and nomadic Asians the modern Turkish nation was born.

Quote:
Or how a good chunk of Russians in the north are of Uralic decent, but their culture has also been forgotten and now they just think of themselves as nothing more than your typical Russian. Language is a very strong influence on culture, or rather it’s a byproduct of it, sort of a chicken and the egg question.
Huh?
Of course not.
People of "Uralic group" - i.e. Khanty, Mansi and such still retain their identity that is separate from ethnic Russians, in spite of the language.

Did you even watch that video by Deutche Welle I posted earlier?

I think it makes it very clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfuDZEQjro8&t=958s

Quote:
Now as far as Iran and the Nagorno-Karabakh question goes, from my understanding Iran has close relations with Armenia,
Not sure about that one, since Armenia is NOT a muslim country, but it appears that Iran is taking Armenia's side in the conflict, (which might change down the line.)

Quote:
so Turkey and Iran could very well find themselves on opposing sides on this issue, wouldn’t be surprised if this issue erupted that Iran would take this opportunity to try and absorb Turkish Kurdistan (who are Iranic people), or carve a client state out.
Don't know about that one either, since Moscow didn't say its final word.

And it looks like Russians want to keep Turkey out of it, leaving this conflict strictly between the two - Azerbaijan and Armenia, as it was before.

Old 10-01-2020, 03:13 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
@Erasure, well I guess I use the term “Uralic” to broadly, I should’ve been more precise and say Finnic, for example Ingria which is modern day Leningrad Oblast, as well as other ancient Finnic people such as the Chuds, and yes Russia still has many Finnic minority groups, but historically speaking most of them got assimilated into Slavic culture early on, like Kieven Rus times.

And yes Azeris still live in Iran too, but they are still a distinct culture similar to how Tatars, even though well integrated, are still a distinct culture in Russia.

And about Turks, yes they migrated in from Asia, but if you look at their faces now, there is very little Asian feature on them compared to say Kazakhs, and look almost indistinguishable from modern Greeks, that’s because the Anatolians out numbered the Turks so although the culture got forcefully converted the original Turkish blood got washed out so to speak.

Old 10-01-2020, 08:37 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
It’s similar to what happened to the Japanese during WWII except instead of of being wound up and thrown into internment camps, the Turks came and slaughtered them. From what I’ve read the Armenians were a real 5th column threat, but still that was really extreme and was legitimate ethnic cleansing/genocide.
Yeah, it was a terrible episode. I think I'm being too picky with terms. Trying to be too exact in definition of the terms. There's no denying it was a heinous act from the start.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
@Erasure, well I guess I use the term “Uralic” to broadly, I should’ve been more precise and say Finnic, for example Ingria which is modern day Leningrad Oblast, as well as other ancient Finnic people such as the Chuds, and yes Russia still has many Finnic minority groups, but historically speaking most of them got assimilated into Slavic culture early on, like Kieven Rus times.

And yes Azeris still live in Iran too, but they are still a distinct culture similar to how Tatars, even though well integrated, are still a distinct culture in Russia.

And about Turks, yes they migrated in from Asia, but if you look at their faces now, there is very little Asian feature on them compared to say Kazakhs, and look almost indistinguishable from modern Greeks, that’s because the Anatolians out numbered the Turks so although the culture got forcefully converted the original Turkish blood got washed out so to speak.

Grega, Tatars are unrelated to Russians, plus they are muslims, while Russians are not.

Azeris in Iran ( although different somewhat - it looks like they were their own thing from ancient times to begin with,) were related to Persians and they are Shia muslims as the rest of Iranians ( unlike Turks who are Sunnis.)

This whole "close ties to Turkey" thing is more recent development indeed.
Now I remember that Zhirinovsky the Lunatic mentioned during his yesterday's ranting that back in the 90ies, during the fall of the Soviet Union Americans said to Soviet ( or rather post-Soviet government) that Russia should leave Caucasus and Turkey will take over.

And that's what happened for the most part, in case of Azerbaijan in particular.

Other than that, this girl could have been my relative ( on that side of a family, coz she has a very similar look) - and she is definitely not Turkish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWFDdtBrXYo&t=1177s

Meanwhile, the "escalation" is turning into full-blown war, and it looks like Turkey is into it.
Looks like some Pandora box is open, unexpectedly so.

More later..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9wEDKHDBG8

Old 10-01-2020, 01:21 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Troubles in Transcaucasia

https://indianpunchline.com/the-time...ucasia-part-1/

Israel, US are backing Azerbaijan invasion, hoping to divide Turkey and Iran.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Troubles in Transcaucasia

https://indianpunchline.com/the-time...ucasia-part-1/

Israel, US are backing Azerbaijan invasion, hoping to divide Turkey and Iran.

... and Armenians ( starting with Mrs Kenya West Kim Kardashian I imagine,) are protesting en mass in Los Angeles...
They have big diaspora there.

In two days Brussels is going to discuss the developing situation in N.G.
With other words - fun-fun-fun)))

Old 10-01-2020, 02:50 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
You have it backwards. Modern Greeks are hellenized Turks (and slavs). That's why they "look" Turkic. Turk's aren't mongols so they never had east "Asian" features.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:52 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

Don't know about that one either, since Moscow didn't say its final word.

And it looks like Russians want to keep Turkey out of it, leaving this conflict strictly between the two - Azerbaijan and Armenia, as it was before.
LOL, that's comedy right there. Nobody cares what Moscow thinks or says in Azerbaijan. It's Turkey that calls the shots. First in Syria, next in Libya and now here. As long as the fighting doesn't take place inside of it's ally Armenia (it's not) then Russia has no say over the matter.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:54 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-r...-idUKKBN26M5ZR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe