Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 08:44 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times

Advertisements

Work is progressing.

https://i.ibb.co/svQGbxq/photo-2020-03-24-17-41-47.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 08:48 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Putin announcing that everything from any source is "objective information".....does anyone see the irony in that?

I'm guessing, that life is going on as usual in Russia, because shutting down businesses and offices, and telling people to stay home would be to chaotic. Could someone fill us in on what the coping strategy is, if any? Has domestic travel been curtailed? In a country were so many are dependent on crowded public transit, controlling the spread of a virus like this would be almost impossible.

In Moscow, many employees switched to a remote mode of operation. It is unlikely to contain the virus, but the main task is to prevent overloading hospitals.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:31 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
It was not about just "being slobs" - there was a different reason that brought this virus.

No they did not.
I suspect they were in denial, and that's why they tried to silence the few, who sounded the alarm.
And that's why millions of people were still able to leave the town where the infection was already spreading. BEFORE the authorities realized that what they were trying to hush, was indeed a disaster of big proportions and not something "minor" as they would hope.
I don't think they were in denial, I think it was the normal response of a system due to lack of solid information. Decisions made in haste are usually wrong. When I walk up to a heatpump or a payloader with a problem I don't just start replacing parts. I start gathering information, observing and listening to things. I may have a few words on a piece of paper like it makes a noise or it has no power and can't lift yadda yadda. The problem can be a dozen different things, including the person who called.

I looked at the timeline and it seems to me that they followed a very methodical pattern. Gather information, take precautions, make a plan of action then act. Each one of these steps has many smaller steps inside of them, it takes time to go from arriving at the scene to walking away and everything is working correctly.
I know for a fact that the 2 worst things that can be done in this situation is to step out of the methodology and allow people who think they know what's going on into the process.
It's pretty obvious to me that by CONTROLLING information they were trying to prevent chaos, the dissolution of the methodology which would have made the situation much worse. And if you had had a full on panic in Wuhan it would have been much worse. Much worse.

But of course, no good deed goes unpunished.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:52 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Cute. Very cute. Thank you, Maksim. Humor in difficult times is a good thing. A sort of tonic.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
In Moscow, many employees switched to a remote mode of operation. It is unlikely to contain the virus, but the main task is to prevent overloading hospitals.
Are university classes and schools still open? The staff in universities and schools can't work remotely, because their whole purpose is to serve the students and keep the institution running. So what happens to them? What happens to all the restaurant workers and (non-grocery) shop staff? Are museums still open?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-24-2020 at 10:17 AM..

Old 03-24-2020, 01:25 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Cute. Very cute. Thank you, Maksim. Humor in difficult times is a good thing. A sort of tonic.

What was funny about that pic, am I missing something there?

Old 03-24-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
What was funny about that pic, am I missing something there?
lol

Old 03-24-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
lol

OK, then probably Maxim will explain to me what the joke was all about...

Old 03-24-2020, 01:33 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
I think it's about everybody trying to look like everything is going well by standing around a map and looking important when in fact it's a debacle. I've seen pics like that from both German and Soviet wartime propaganda.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Putin announcing that everything from any source is "objective information".....does anyone see the irony in that?

I'm guessing, that life is going on as usual in Russia, because shutting down businesses and offices, and telling people to stay home would be to chaotic. Could someone fill us in on what the coping strategy is, if any? Has domestic travel been curtailed? In a country where so many are dependent on crowded public transit, controlling the spread of a virus like this would be almost impossible.

No, I don't see anything ironic about it at this point to be honest.
They ( Putin and Co) are not interested in the slightest in the spread of this virus ( it will hit the economy too hard,) so they definitely keep on monitoring the situation and take the clues from all kind of sources I bet.

As far as the "crowded public transport" goes - the biggest concern is Moscow ( as in case with New York,) being a major international hub AND major metro ( subway) user.
Yet another question of course are big cities in Siberia, BUT given the time frame, when the outbreak took place in China, THAT part of Russia, ( being closest to China) should have full-blown outbreak by now.
But from what I know, it does not.
Which brings me back to the square one.
I suspect that this particular virus has something to do with the genetic make-up of people, not just "different strands" of the disease.

Last edited by erasure; 03-24-2020 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe