Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,495,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Most Americans think Putin has done a good job in Russia...as do I. Russia is in a tough situation in many ways. Not many could handle the leadership reigns.
Some like him for all the wrong reasons. People who come from more conservative backgrounds cling on to the notion of stronger religious values. To them Putin exemplifies a moral purity that has more or less disappeared from Western nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Agreed. Look at all the ink spilled in the west because of this guy too. All the sanctions, the negative rhetoric and propaganda that Russians know about to boot can you not see why Russians tend to support him? It's like the western media and politicians are utterly clueless. They know he's served them well and they're not so willing to give him up just yet for their own reasons.

All the crap just makes the Russians dig deeper trenches ffs.
The reason he's so popular in Russia is because he was able to stabilize the economy when it was going downhill. Part of it can be attributed to luck, as his first term took place at a time when our prices were at an all time high.

I don't like him for the same reasons DKM gave beforehand. He's an autocrat playing with people's emotions, while grabbing power. In order to achieve this, he's looking at ways to undermine his opponents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 11:35 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times

http://www.interfax.ru/ftproot/textp...1100ht_Rus.jpg

Old 02-26-2018, 07:28 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Agreed. Look at all the ink spilled in the west because of this guy too. All the sanctions, the negative rhetoric and propaganda that Russians know about to boot can you not see why Russians tend to support him? It's like the western media and politicians are utterly clueless. They know he's served them well and they're not so willing to give him up just yet for their own reasons.

All the crap just makes the Russians dig deeper trenches ffs.
My impression is that a lot of ordinary Americans, perhaps naive, wanted better relations with Russia, but more powerful people are firmly convinced that good relations with Russia are not good for their businesses.

And that's what this is all about.

So the ordinary people have to deal with the cards that are dealt to them. And so we live on knife's edge.

Good Luck!

Old 02-26-2018, 11:07 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Putin paid off the NHL to remove the competition for Russian olympic hockey

Old 02-26-2018, 11:12 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,021,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Putin paid off the NHL to remove the competition for Russian olympic hockey
And you know, the puck was made of compressed Meldonium

Old 02-26-2018, 11:42 AM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Most Americans think Putin has done a good job in Russia...as do I. Russia is in a tough situation in many ways. Not many could handle the leadership reigns.
This statement that most Americans like Putin or think he's doing a good job is definitely one of the oddest things I've heard in a while. I know his propaganda has penetrated the alt right news circles but this is about 10% of americans at most...

Old 02-26-2018, 11:44 AM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
My impression is that a lot of ordinary Americans, perhaps naive, wanted better relations with Russia, but more powerful people are firmly convinced that good relations with Russia are not good for their businesses.

And that's what this is all about.

So the ordinary people have to deal with the cards that are dealt to them. And so we live on knife's edge.

Good Luck!
That isn't at all what this is about. This isn't about power or competition, the bad relations are because of Russia's destabilizing actions against democracy, the same thing the USSR was doing during the cold war.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
That isn't at all what this is about. This isn't about power or competition, the bad relations are because of Russia's destabilizing actions against democracy, the same thing the USSR was doing during the cold war.
I see nothing in the Constitution about this so-called "democracy". Where does he live? Name, address, phone number.

I do see powerful men across the global competing with each other on a daily basis for the past 10,000 years and longer, much longer.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:55 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I see nothing in the Constitution about this so-called "democracy". Where does he live? Name, address, phone number.

I do see powerful men across the global competing with each other on a daily basis for the past 10,000 years and longer, much longer.
Being on friendly terms is Putin-speak for dropping sanctions and opposition to what Putin does. The sanctions have nothing to do with anybody (much less "powerful people") making money. The sanctions are driven by ideals. Much like the ban on Russia in the Olympics which is driven by the ideal that states should be dissuaded from helping their athletes cheat. I see the pattern here, Russia trying to pretend the sanctions aren't for the reasons they are for and that people in the west actually want to the sanctions to end. Sanctions aren't about competing they are about punishing illegal destabilizing activity.

They won't end until Russian soldiers (without insignia) leave eastern Ukraine. I see a lot of activities to try to change this without correcting the action that caused the sanctions, but it won't change the outcome. In fact, Putin's meddling in our elections secured this outcome which i'm certain is the opposite of what he wanted. Invading Ukraine didn't help Ukraine stay in Russia's orbit. Cheating at the Olympics did not raise Russia's prestige in the sporting world. Supporting murderous autocracies doesn't give them global standing. Etc etc.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
The sanctions are driven by ideals.
They still have good pot in Humboldt County? Oh wait, it's legal now statewide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe