Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM

9 posts, read 28,048 times

Advertisements

What European nations (Not included Eastern Europe) have the cheapest consumer of goods and those with lowest sales tax? It seems like everything in Western and Northern Europe is so much more expensive than the United States and even Canada! Now I'm talking about gas, restaurant food, clothing, shoes, electronics, cars, etc.

In New Jersey where I live we pay 7% (3.5% in few cities) sales tax on most goods we purchase (Although 0% tax on shoes, clothing, grocery food, pharmacy products, books/magazines and few other things). In some states there is no sales tax at all on any purchase, while others charges on certain items only. Does any of that exist anywhere in Europe?

Last edited by MashAllah Shatir; 04-24-2014 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 PM

326 posts, read 471,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashAllah Shatir View Post
What European nations (Not included Eastern Europe) have the cheapest consumer of goods and those with lowest sales tax? It seems like everything in Western and Northern Europe is so much more expensive than the United States and even Canada! Now I'm talking about gas, restaurant food, clothing, shoes, electronics, cars, etc.
every country in Western Europe has a 20% VAT (thereabouts). Portugal is probably the cheapest from the Western Europe lots, its still very expensive though.. I reckon your best bet is Poland/Czech Republic/Hungary. they are not exactly Eastern Europe but are almost as cheap.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:39 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
Switzerland has an 8% sales tax. Despite having an aprrox. 20% sales tax, many things in western europe are much cheaper than in Switzerland or the US with their lower sales tax rates. If you were looking for a correlation between height of sales tax and price of an article: there isn't any.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:12 AM

72 posts, read 138,129 times
Germany

Old 04-26-2014, 08:41 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashAllah Shatir View Post

In New Jersey where I live we pay 7% (3.5% in few cities) sales tax on most goods we purchase (Although 0% tax on shoes, clothing, grocery food, pharmacy products, books/magazines and few other things). In some states there is no sales tax at all on any purchase, while others charges on certain items only. Does any of that exist anywhere in Europe?
in ireland the sales tax ( VAT here ) is 21.5% on everything bar groceries and childrens shoes clothes etc , the vat rate on labour is 13.5% so if you get a plumber in to do a job and it costs 100 euro , you pay 113.50

cheapest shopping is probably germany but compared to the usa , considerably more expensive

Old 04-26-2014, 09:16 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Clothing in the USA is cheaper, but that cheap stuff lack on quality. You wash it few times and it fades, and start to fall apart. Better quality is more expensive.
Clothes in Europe are usually a better quality, but you can buy cheap junk too.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,200 times
Not really, clothing, quality or not, is cheaper in the US, no comparison whatsoever. That's is why so many Eiropeans travel to NY and Florida on shopping sprees.

Brands (European and not) are also much cheaper there.

The cheaper country in Europe, Bulgaria, the cheapest city, Sophia.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:44 AM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
^^^ Brands and labels - yes. But OP asked about "cheapest" shopping... NOT including Eastern Europe.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:05 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Not really, clothing, quality or not, is cheaper in the US, no comparison whatsoever. That's is why so many Eiropeans travel to NY and Florida on shopping sprees.

Brands (European and not) are also much cheaper there.
Not really, only jeans (Levi's, Lee) are much cheaper in the US. For the rest I can find equally priced clothes here in Europe. The same with shoes. And like someone mentioned above, European clothes seem better quality to me too. H&M, which has stores both in Europe and the US also has approx. the same prices everywhere. We were really disappointed in the US H&M prices. Don't forget European prices include sales tax, whereas US prices don't.

As for Europeans going shopping for clothes in the US, I believe that is actually true but it is more because the urban legend of 'everything being cheaper in the US' persists for some reason.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 PM

334 posts, read 438,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Not really, only jeans (Levi's, Lee) are much cheaper in the US. For the rest I can find equally priced clothes here in Europe. The same with shoes. And like someone mentioned above, European clothes seem better quality to me too. H&M, which has stores both in Europe and the US also has approx. the same prices everywhere. We were really disappointed in the US H&M prices. Don't forget European prices include sales tax, whereas US prices don't.

As for Europeans going shopping for clothes in the US, I believe that is actually true but it is more because the urban legend of 'everything being cheaper in the US' persists for some reason.
What city did you visit in the US? It's a huge country bigger than Europe. In some states, there is no sale tax at all; while other states charges no tax on shoes and clothes. Sales tax vary between 0 - 10% in the US.

H&M is cheap worldwide, but it is still slightly cheaper in America than in Europe. There are lots of great deals and coupons being common here than in Europe. Do you have Century 21, Marshalls, Kohl's and TJ Maxx in your country offering cheap clothes and often brand name! I bought a polo shirt for $9 and shoes $25, in Europe they would cost 10 x more minimum. My cousins and friends from Europe go crazy shopping when visiting America LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe