Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 07:20 PM

207 posts, read 496,947 times

Advertisements

I have been reading up and watching the news from both sides. I have been watching RT, Fox News and CNN and I have been reading Pravda.ru and Yahoo News and things seem to be really heating up lately between both the United States, the EU and Russia lately!

I was born in the early 90s, 3 years after the fall of the Soviet Union and as such, I never witnessed the Cold War. But it seems like that the world isn't heading for a Cold War II, from what I can tell, both the West and the East are heading toward WWIII and I am really frightened of that. I hope this crises ends soon and peacefully on top of that.

As for my main questions:

So far over in Russia, Putin has an 80% approval rating, does that mean 80% of Russian citizens currently hate or dislike Americans now??? Do most Russians of the younger generations I.E. Russians born in the mid-late 80s and 90s hate Americans now? I hope not, I don't want to go through another cold war like how my parents did.

Also, do most Russians in the United States currently hate Americans as well? I hope that's not the case either.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:16 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post
So far over in Russia, Putin has an 80% approval rating, does that mean 80% of Russian citizens currently hate or dislike Americans now??? Do most Russians of the younger generations I.E. Russians born in the mid-late 80s and 90s hate Americans now? I hope not, I don't want to go through another cold war like how my parents did.

Also, do most Russians in the United States currently hate Americans as well? I hope that's not the case either.
No, most Russians don't hate or dislike Americans. Hardcore conservatives and members of the old Communist Party aren't well-disposed towards Americans.

Why would Russians in the US hate Americans? They came here to get away from Russia. They do tend to be a bit annoyed at Americans' ignorance towards Russia, though.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 PM

207 posts, read 496,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, most Russians don't hate or dislike Americans. Hardcore conservatives and members of the old Communist Party aren't well-disposed towards Americans.

Why would Russians in the US hate Americans? They came here to get away from Russia. They do tend to be a bit annoyed at Americans' ignorance towards Russia, though.
Thank you so much for clearing things up!

However, I do have a few more questions with that being said.

When you said that the hardcore conservatives are the ones that aren't too fond of Americans, are you referring to the older generations I.E, the Russians that grew up during the Soviet Era? Also, would it be safe for a young American like me to travel to Russia this Winter? (Reason why I said this winter is because I can't go on vacation this summer, too busy...)

Old 05-09-2014, 10:23 PM

204 posts, read 316,808 times
Quote:

When you said that the hardcore conservatives are the ones that aren't too fond of Americans, are you referring to the older generations I.E, the Russians that grew up during the Soviet Era? Also, would it be safe for a young American like me to travel to Russia this Winter? (Reason why I said this winter is because I can't go on vacation this summer, too busy...)
Compared to the rest of the globe, USA is hardcore Liberal. So it's only natural for hardcore conservatives on this globe to oppose them.

It's safe for you to travel, especially if you are White. But do you realize how horrid the winter weather is in Russia? Very few Americans can handle such conditions.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:06 AM

2 posts, read 14,581 times
I am from Russia. Many Russians hate some of your politicians, whose hands stained with blood.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:31 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
I have been reading up and watching the news from both sides. I have been watching RT, Fox News and CNN and I have been reading Pravda.ru and Yahoo News and things seem to be really heating up lately between both the United States, the EU and Russia lately!

I was born in the early 90s, 3 years after the fall of the Soviet Union and as such, I never witnessed the Cold War. But it seems like that the world isn't heading for a Cold War II, from what I can tell, both the West and the East are heading toward WWIII and I am really frightened of that. I hope this crises ends soon and peacefully on top of that.

As for my main questions:

Russians do not like the policy that the United States carried out, because they believe that this policy a lot of lies and double standards. This negative image often transferred to the country (the name, flag, etc.). But I do not think that Russian have negative to ordinary Americans. I think that you can ask about this Tim Kirby, he lives and works in Russia.

Tim Kerbi
https://twitter.com/TimKirbyRussia

Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Also, would it be safe for a young American like me to travel to Russia this Winter? (Reason why I said this winter is because I can't go on vacation this summer, too busy...)
It is safe, but if you do not know Russian language, then you can get into some predicaments situations.

I think you'd better find someone in Russia who can accompany you on excursions and who can show Russia Russian eyes. I think this will be more interesting than the Red square and souvenirs of nesting dolls with hats-ushanka.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:09 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:

Oh good grief! Of course it would be safe! Did you think you'd get mugged, or surrounded by a hostile crowd and beat up? The only potentially "unsafe" part of your travel plans is the "winter" part. Be sure to take a very warm jacket, and buy a fur hat when you get there (they're cheap). Remember, it was the winter that nailed Napoleon, and helped drive Hitler's army back out.

Yes, SOME Soviet-era types, but only a small minority of them. Also, Putin has organized a youth group that's very pro-Russia and anti-American or anti-Western. And there are a smattering of such people in other age groups as well.

Some Russian citizens have sort of a strange love-hate relationship with the US. They dream of seeing America, but they still cling to the anti-US propaganda, in part out of a necessity to combat a sense of inferiority vis-a-vis the West, and feel pride in their country. Russians' feelings about Russia vs. the West can be psychologically complex. Though that's mostly among people raised in the Soviet era.

Anyway, most Russians are fascinated by Americans.It's interesting. Canada is chopped liver, by comparison. It's all about the US, even though Canada is is many ways a more enlightened society.

These are generalizations. I hope nobody jumps on me about this.

So, OP, where in Russia are you planning to go in winter?

Old 05-10-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some Russian citizens have sort of a strange love-hate relationship with the US. They dream of seeing America, but they still cling to the anti-US propaganda, in part out of a necessity to combat a sense of inferiority vis-a-vis the West, and feel pride in their country.
He-he. This's true. As with everything else.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:40 PM

803 posts, read 1,667,614 times
Quote:
Also, would it be safe for a young American like me to travel to Russia this Winter? (Reason why I said this winter is because I can't go on vacation this summer, too busy...)
You should be fine but there are some things to take into consideration. The Department of State has a good website for that... read the "Safety and Security" section in the link below:

Russia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe