Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:52 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foulball View Post
While that may be the PC thing to say, in practice, that isn't true. Many will discount Asian men, for example.
No worries, I'm already on the Sale rack!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 11:15 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
I fell in love with Natalia......

Taras Bulba (1962) - IMDb

Old 05-13-2014, 11:35 AM

207 posts, read 498,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Who said anything about a bride?

This was your quote:

That being said, all that I want to know is if Russian girls like American guys or not. I might want to hook up with one of them while I am there!

To hook up with a girl is to have casual, anonymous sex with one. The red light district would be perfect for that. It costs money though. I was told 50 euro is the standard for just a blow job. Not sure what a full out round of intercourse would cost.
You're right, I should have rephrased what I said.

What I meant by hooking up with a girl in Russia was that I plan to get a girlfriend who is from Russia! I hope this clears things up!

Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Op
Shouldn't you be asking Russian girls instead of the American populous?
You're right...

Old 05-13-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, it's not about what nationality is trendy at the moment. It's about the guy, himself. Does he have a good job that would allow him to support a family? Is he well-educated? Can he carry on a good conversation? (You'll learn about the art of conversation while you're there. You'll see if you can keep up, or not.) Is he good-hearted? Polite, well-mannered? Fun? Is he informed about Russian history, so he can understand the significance of our historic places as he visits them? Does he have an appreciation for art? Music? Theater? Literature? Or is he just all about how great America is? (BO-ring, and rude!)

The degree to which some of those are important will vary depending on age and level of education of the women. But still, in Russia, even factory workers are into literature and opera. Can you handle it?

Oh, and I forgot to mention, it's not just about the guy. Do you really think you'd be able to entice a Russian to move to Eureka, CA? Better think about that one.

EDIT: Oh, this is just about a hook-up? Flash money around, and you'll do fine. They won't care if you're American, German, or Finnish, as long as you can buy them a good time for a night. The restaurants aren't cheap.
NO, this is not a hook-up. I should have rephrased what I said. Also, just for the record, I am very well educated and I and very well informed about the Russian culture and I know everything there is to know about Russian history, from the days of Kieven Rus's, the Novgorod Republic, Duchy of Muscovy under Ivan the Terrible all the way to the Esablishment of the Imperial Russian Empire to the fall of it's successor state, the USSR!

And no, I am not all about America, I am a very polite and kind and good hearted person. In fact, a lot of my friends that I hand out with say that I am too nice, in which I don't know why that would be a bad thing but oh well.

Finally, I should mention that I am only living in Eureka temporarily, for one year to be exact, I will be moving to Sonoma, California very soon as I am transferring to Sonoma State University, and I know that I will be able to entice a Russian girl to move there. Sonoma is a great city with a rich history! (Used to be the capital of the California Republic!!)

So there you have it!

Last edited by Aethalstad; 05-13-2014 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: Added some extra info

Old 05-13-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
You do understand that "Russian Women" are not a single entity, just as you do not represent "American Men", right?

Right?
OMG you're right. I really shouldn't lump everyone together. Every person regardless of nationality is different and had a unique personality. My bad.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:05 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post
NO, this is not a hook-up. I should have rephrased what I said. Also, just for the record, I am very well educated and I and very well informed about the Russian culture and I know everything there is to know about Russian history, from the days of Kieven Rus's, the Novgorod Republic, Duchy of Muscovy under Ivan the Terrible all the way to the Esablishment of the Imperial Russian Empire to the fall of it's successor state, the USSR!

And no, I am not all about America, I am a very polite and kind and good hearted person. In fact, a lot of my friends that I hand out with say that I am too nice, in which I don't know why that would be a bad thing but oh well.

Finally, I should mention that I am only living in Eureka temporarily, for one year to be exact, I will be moving to Sonoma, California very soon as I am transferring to Sonoma State University, and I know that I will be able to entice a Russian girl to move there. Sonoma is a great city with a rich history! (Used to be the capital of the California Republic!!)

So there you have it!
You sound like you're in good shape. And yes, I know about Sonoma. Several ancestors of mine married into General Vallejo's family. He had a good supply of daughters.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:06 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Being a foreigner is both a novelty and a barrier. If you don't speak the local language, are not conversant in the culture and manners, are only visiting briefly, and aren't hosted by knowledgeable locals, then making any romantic connection – anywhere in the world – will be challenging and fraught with risk. Russian women aren't opposed to American men, or enamored of them, any more than with any other nationality. The impoverished and desperate days of the early 1990s are gone. It is no longer the case – if it ever was! – that attractive and accomplished young women are craving visas abroad and US citizenship.

Look around, have fun, go to the standard venues (bars, clubs, whatever). If you feel adventurous, introduce yourself and offer to buy some drinks. Act as if you were in New York City, Chicago, LA. Big-city culture varies comparatively little from place to place. New York City has more in common with Moscow or St. Petersburg than with the American rural Midwest or rural deep South. Don't expect any easy victories, outlandish scenes or material for telling extravagant stories when you return. Just be observant, casual and polite. One supposes that the same advice holds worldwide; and chances for success are essentially identical worldwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
in Russia, even factory workers are into literature and opera.
This is changing rapidly, and decidedly for the worse. Russian society might be doing OK materially, but is culturally adrift.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:10 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethalstad View Post

So there you have it!
That is good man, it's good that you know about the culture and history before going there. You'll probably be just fine finding someone... but why the heck are you starting threads asking questions like that?

Old 05-13-2014, 12:30 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
OP, Ohio-peasant has a point. If you knew Russian, you'd have a wider selection, obviously. But the point is that being limited to English, you may be limiting yourself to women hoping to cash in, in some way. As someone else pointed out, the bad old days are mostly over, but still.... You'd have a much better experience if you were conversational in Russian. Though that's easier said than done.

St. Petersburg is beautiful! But you knew that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe