Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 05:03 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,654 times

Advertisements

I have encountered a stereotypical type of European who grows up admiring the US and immigrates here

These people are not poor, do not have economic reasons to leave their countries but they do it anyways

My stepfather is a good example. Grew up in Bayern, solid German middle class family but left Germany about 20 years ago and became an US citizen.

I had an university professor from Iceland. I have no idea why an Icelandic person would trade Reykjavyk for a small town in Central Iowa but some do.

I have a Dutch friend who dreams about immigrating here. I have visited him there and his life in the Netherlands is pretty darn good. He has everything he needs but the NL gets a little boring.

The US does a great job at selling BS to other places through movies, TV shows and what not, so I think some Europeans grow up with those fascinating images of Cadillac convertibles, Route 66 and Western landscapes haha.

I can see how that may be attractive to someone who lives in a country the size of an US state.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:09 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I have encountered a stereotypical type of European who grows up admiring the US and immigrates here

These people are not poor, do not have economic reasons to leave their countries but they do it anyways

My stepfather is a good example. Grew up in Bayern, solid German middle class family but left Germany about 20 years ago and became an US citizen.

I had an university professor from Iceland. I have no idea why an Icelandic person would trade Reykjavyk for a small town in Central Iowa but some do.

I have a Dutch friend who dreams about immigrating here. I have visited him there and his life in the Netherlands is pretty darn good. He has everything he needs but the NL gets a little boring.

The US does a great job at selling BS to other places through movies, TV shows and what not, so I think some Europeans grow up with those fascinating images of Cadillac convertibles, Route 66 and Western landscapes haha.

I can see how that may be attractive to someone who lives in a country the size of an US state.
Yes, they buy the BS in movies, etc. It seems exotic. Anything different seems exotic.

I've heard the NL are boring anyway.

I've lived in a big variety of places - 4 states, and two other countries outside the US. I know where I feel at home. And I'm staying right where I am.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:13 AM

I prefer this view out my window rather than see other houses. The sky isn't always this blue, but it's pretty even when it's not.

Do Europeans envy the American lifestyle?-6.jpg

Do Europeans envy the American lifestyle?-7.jpg

Old 07-13-2014, 05:17 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Quote:
I can't find Fazer Blue here in Iowa. So I usually drive to Minneapolis, Minnesota where they have a strong Swedish/Finnish community. I can find just about any Finnish/Swedish product in Minneapolis

There is a Finnish candy called Hedelmä Aakkoset, that diamond shaped candy with alphabet letters, I really like that stuff but can't find it here

So back to the original thread: Do Europeans envy the American lifestyle? If I was Finnish, I probably wouldnt. Not paradise on Earth but a great country.
Sirkus Aakkoset are the best ones, half liquorice and half fruit.

Finland certainly is a pretty great country, I've been quite happy to make it my home, definitely wouldn't move to the US.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:19 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I prefer this view out my window rather than see other houses. The sky isn't always this blue, but it's pretty even when it's not.

Attachment 132765

Attachment 132766
Now that's a nice view!
I see houses out of my window but also lots of trees so its not so bad.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Now that's a nice view!
I see houses out of my window but also lots of trees so its not so bad.
Thanks, I like it. We have a forest behind us (no houses) and mountains in the other direction down the loch. These are take from my porch. It's actually about a mile to the other side. Get in a boat and go down the water you'll eventually get to the Atlantic.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I wouldn't envy it either? What is there to envy anyways?

I never really understood that part. Life is more or less the same anywhere. More or less. What attributes I like in Europe (urban density), I can find in parts of the U.S., and vice versa for whatever attributes a European might like in the U.S.
I totally agree and feel the same about "the European lifestyle" (whatever that's supposed to be - just like "the American lifestyle" it differs so dramatically for each individual it's ridiculous to even make such generalizations). After living in Europe and visiting so many countries so many times, I realize that no matter where I am, I'm the same person and my locale doesn't determine my happiness. I can expand my horizons, learn new things, miss old things, build my own daily routine, but at the end of the day, my happiness and contentment depend on my own character.

Just like where I live in the US, of course I have my preferences, ESPECIALLY when it comes to proximity to family, economic stability, and weather. I'd say those three things are the biggest factors I consider when determining where to live. Once those boxes are ticked, I start narrowing things down - type of home I prefer and affordability, type of neighborhood, taxes, amenities, schools, etc.

So there you have it - and I guess that's why I'm so happy right where I'm at! And like I've said before, I sincerely hope that everyone on this thread feels the exact same way. Jealousy isn't called the ugly green monster for nothing. And in my experience, when someone starts criticizing and tearing down other people and their choices, it's often a sign of deep seated personal insecurities or unhappiness. I've never understood that compulsion in people - it's like the only way they can build themselves up is to tear others down. "Well, look how much YOU suck - guess that means I'm superior!" Silly, sad little mindset.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:47 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Ariete. Do you live in Turku? The pictures look like Turku but it could be another Finnish city.

I found Turku very interesting, not super exciting but I liked it. I remember arriving in Turku by ferry and walking from the port all the way to Downtown. Very quiet place on Sunday morning.

One think I found interesting about Turku is people just leave their bicycles in the street unlocked- that would never fly here in the USA lol.
Yes, it is Turku. There's not that much to see here in a touristry sense, but should be more taken as a relaxing city sense. Walk or bike in the parks and the riverfront, eat in some nice restaurants that are cheaper than in Helsinki, take a trip to the archipelago and so on.

The bike thing is something I don't understand. Some indeed leave them unlocked at least if they're just popping in to fetch some cigs or something. I would never leave my bike unlocked here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Eye candy? Clusters of Soviet-style apartment blocks? Are you serious? The tile-roof buildings are nice. I like all the old-town photos you've posted in the past. But most of these photos here look like you were trying to be sarcastic about "eye candy". Sorry.
Nah, I wasn't meaning architectural eye candy, but the lush green forestry surroundings around the city and the wide open sky. I think that was what Kathryn was looking for.

The problem with those 60's projects is that they tend to be much bigger and higher than older developments, and so forth obscures them. That's a problem with pictures taken above street level.

Indeed there's some hideous looking projects here, but some nice places as well. The projects sadly obscure scenes like this. Saint Petersburg style:

Spoiler

And we got this as well:

Old 07-13-2014, 06:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, it is Turku. There's not that much to see here in a touristry sense, but should be more taken as a relaxing city sense. Walk or bike in the parks and the riverfront, eat in some nice restaurants that are cheaper than in Helsinki, take a trip to the archipelago and so on.

The bike thing is something I don't understand. Some indeed leave them unlocked at least if they're just popping in to fetch some cigs or something. I would never leave my bike unlocked here.

Nah, I wasn't meaning architectural eye candy, but the lush green forestry surroundings around the city and the wide open sky. I think that was what Kathryn was looking for.

The problem with those 60's projects is that they tend to be much bigger and higher than older developments, and so forth obscures them. That's a problem with pictures taken above street level.

Indeed there's some hideous looking projects here, but some nice places as well. The projects sadly obscure scenes like this. Saint Petersburg style:

Spoiler

And we got this as well:

I think your town and the setting is beautiful - but like you, I appreciate lots of wide open sky. I like a feeling of space and light and fresh air - that goes a long, long way with me.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I didn't dislike those modern apartment buildings, but thought many were on the bland side. For all those buildings, they did a good job at squeezing in greenery. Perhaps easier to do with a small city.

Quote:

Spoiler

And we got this as well:

The first one is nice, but all that brick on the ground appears a bit blank. And what is that metal thing sticking up in the middle of the plaza? Eww! 2nd view is pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe