Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 07:56 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,376,175 times

Advertisements

Large European cities seem to have decent public transport, especially London and Paris. Why then, does such a small proportion of commuters use it? (I saw somewhere that around 7% of Paris commuters take public transit, don't know what the exact rates are for other cities. But I'm guessing it's similar.)

Auto traffic is a big issue in city centres. London has a congestion fee, Paris tried to restrict auto use during the smog problem a few months ago, Rome has similar problems... why the resistance to using public transportation when it's so readily available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 08:05 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,621,571 times
26.3% of London commuters drove to work, while 48.3% used public transport (bus, rail, tram). #

So, with regards to London, you are wrong.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:34 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,376,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
26.3% of London commuters drove to work, while 48.3% used public transport (bus, rail, tram). #

So, with regards to London, you are wrong.
That's better than Paris.

If petrol's so expensive though, plus the congestion fee... why isn't it more like Tokyo yet?

Old 06-07-2014, 09:03 PM

510 posts, read 610,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Large European cities seem to have decent public transport, especially London and Paris. Why then, does such a small proportion of commuters use it? (I saw somewhere that around 7% of Paris commuters take public transit, don't know what the exact rates are for other cities. But I'm guessing it's similar.)

Auto traffic is a big issue in city centres. London has a congestion fee, Paris tried to restrict auto use during the smog problem a few months ago, Rome has similar problems... why the resistance to using public transportation when it's so readily available?
I don't know where you got these numbers, but a quick google search shows Paris has the 7th or 8th busiest/most used metro system in the world, with more than 4.5 million daily riders, so your numbers seem really low. Paris would need to have about 65 million commuters for those 4.5 million daily riders to only equal 7% (65 million is the population of the entire country, and while Paris is big, it is not that big :-) )

I used to live in Lyon, France and the metro was always crowded during rush hour and pretty crowded outside rush hour times. I would say only about 50% of my friends had cars and only about 50% of those with cars used them for their daily commute.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,852,501 times
Quote:
Large European cities seem to have decent public transport, especially London and Paris.
Decent? I would say outstanding.

Quote:
Why then, does such a small proportion of commuters use it? (I saw somewhere that around 7% of Paris commuters take public transit, don't know what the exact rates are for other cities. But I'm guessing it's similar.)
Because it is not a small proportion, it is a large proportion; have you ever lived and worked over there?

Quote:
There is no resistance at all, it is that for many people, public transportation is not convenient for them, so they drive to where they need to go. Also, public trans can be rather expensive, so this is factored into daily commuting costs and make it more beneficial to not take public trans. When I lived and worked in London, I had free parking downtown while I would have to pay out of pocket for the Tube (I did not have to go downtown all of the time, only a couple of days out of the week), it was much cheaper for me to drive to work and quicker (though I prefer to take mass transit).

Old 06-07-2014, 10:53 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,543,183 times
I was just in a city of ~300,000 in Germany, Bochum, and even it has a UBahn. There is no stigma or shame in using a bus or a train seemingly everywhere throughout Europe, and most people take advantage of it. The systems in larger cities are extremely extensive beyond belief, so I'm not sure how you got those numbers.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,847,659 times
Quote:
You're referring to this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Another link [via Minato Ku] for France:

Insee - Territoire - Une illustration des usages du recensement : les dplacements domicile-travail

Outside of ÃŽle de France, only 7.5% of workers commute by public transit. 80% drive to work. ÃŽle de France (Paris region) has completely different numbers.
It says outside Île de France, which is neither the Paris metropolitan region, or the administrative région as well. It's like saying "why does only 7% of Minnesotans use the NY public transport?".

Within the Paris metropolitan region, according to that link, 43.9% of work commuting is done by public transport, 7.8% by foot, 4.6% by two-wheeled transport and 43.7% by car.

In our capital region, 43% of commuting is made by public transport, despite being 10 times smaller than London or Paris. According a survey 77% of the people who answered were content or happy with the public transport and 60% wanted to curtail growth of commuting by car. Also, using public transport instead of cars in the Helsinki region is on the rise among both genders and in all age groups except for over 65 year-olds. (Which I can understand.)

Old 06-08-2014, 04:44 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,075,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
That is all London. Those going to the centre is probably around 95%.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I was just in a city of ~300,000 in Germany, Bochum, and even it has a UBahn. There is no stigma or shame in using a bus or a train seemingly everywhere throughout Europe, and most people take advantage of it. The systems in larger cities are extremely extensive beyond belief, so I'm not sure how you got those numbers.
I loath buses as the ride is choppy, except bendy buses. Underground metros and trams are superb. Many cities in Germany and even in Manchester in England have tram-trains that run on streets and normal rail tracks. You can get off a commuter train and change platforms onto a tram-train and run off into the streets. Trams are a nice in-fill, the metros are the answer.

Last edited by John-UK; 06-08-2014 at 04:58 AM..

Old 06-08-2014, 04:53 AM

Metro networks, having them underground in the centres, are essential in all cities. Large roads and cars must be discouraged. Many highways in urban areas can be made into linear parks, canals, etc. Quality of life and vibrancy must be encouraged. Vibrancy comes with density. Density means cars have to be excluded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe