Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 04:41 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,488 times

Advertisements

I've made several trips to Rome and I've always seen Black people in Italy often walk by themselves, most of the time never speaking to the locals. Even on public transport they often sat away from the Italians/or the Italians sat away from them.
However, I did see Ethiopians/Eritreans talking to the locals and they were treated much better than the other Black's.

Is this a matter of history? Or is this something only I happened to see coincidentally?

Discuss..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 04:51 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,802 times
In Milan there is an entire district populated by Ethiopians and Eritreans with shops and restaurant.
To me it seemed they went along with ethnic Italians quite well.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:55 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
I've made several trips to Rome and I've always seen Black people in Italy often walk by themselves, most of the time never speaking to the locals. Even on public transport they often sat away from the Italians/or the Italians sat away from them.
However, I did see Ethiopians/Eritreans talking to the locals and they were treated much better than the other Black's.

Is this a matter of history? Or is this something only I happened to see coincidentally?

Discuss..
I hate to wade into racist discussions, of which this the European forum is full of, but there is some controversy as to whether Ethiopians/Eritreans are or should be classified as black or negroid (sub-Sahara Africa).

I do know that the people of what we today refer to as Ethiopia/Eritrea were meaningful participants in the ancient Mediterranean cultures, including Egypt and Rome, Judaism and Christianity.

And, of course, as you know, the modern period colonial history, for better and for worse.

Concerning your observation and query, then, perhaps the reason is some sort of cultural affinity.

I can also tell you that, to my ear, some of the best Christian chanting is by Ethiopian monks, beats all of Gregorian and most Byzantine chanting with a stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
In Milan there is an entire district populated by Ethiopians and Eritreans with shops and restaurant.
I remember once eating in an Eritrean restaurant in Milan. We ate with our hands, which seemed exotic since in Italy touching food with hands is usually taboo, even pizza.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
That's surprising, that's a bit like the Washington DC district with a load of Ethiopian and Eritrean shops. Even here in Stockholm there's good amount of Ethiopians. Around 13,500 in Sweden that are immigrants from Ethiopia, but even here, they get along very well with us compared to other races.
What's this area called in Milan?

Old 08-02-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I hate to wade into racist discussions, of which this the European forum is full of, but there is some controversy as to whether Ethiopians/Eritreans are or should be classified as black or negroid (sub-Sahara Africa).

I do know that the people of what we today refer to as Ethiopia/Eritrea were meaningful participants in the ancient Mediterranean cultures, including Egypt and Rome, Judaism and Christianity.

And, of course, as you know, the modern period colonial history, for better and for worse.

Concerning your observation and query, then, perhaps the reason is some sort of cultural affinity.

I can also tell you that, to my ear, some of the best Christian chanting is by Ethiopian monks, beats all of Gregorian and most Byzantine chanting with a stick.
I agree with you on this. I have Ethiopian friends here in Stockholm and they do not consider themselves 'Black', especially the women. If you ask them if they're Black or white, the common answer is Ethiopian But that is up to them. It's because of how many people have described the term black, normally dark skin, wide nose, big lips etc. Ethiopians definitely do not fall under this apart from the Southerners there which are considerably darker, though they are not the ones which immigrate to Europe.

Here is something interesting I found and the tests are still going on Ethiopian DNA studies and sundries. | Mathilda's Anthropology Blog. Notice on the caption for figure 0.01 it says "Notably, 62% of the Ethiopians fall in the first cluster, which encompasses the majority of the Jews, Norwegians and Armenians, indicating that placement of these individuals in a ‘Black’ cluster would be an inaccurate reflection of the genetic structure. Only 24% of the Ethiopians are placed in the cluster with the Bantu and most of the Afro-Caribbeans.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I remember once eating in an Eritrean restaurant in Milan. We ate with our hands, which seemed exotic since in Italy touching food with hands is usually taboo, even pizza.
I've eaten in many of their restaurants, including Kilimanjaro in Rome, what excellent food they have

Old 08-02-2014, 06:12 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
The black race doesn't not exist there's only one race here and that's the human race blah blah blah..They are also racist bunch of people that think "bantus" are apes much like how well everyelse see us but considering we share the same continent with them you'd think different. AGAIN BLACK AS NO SCIENTIFIC BEARING AND MEANS NOTHING JUST LIKE WHITE. Call "black people" by their ethnic group.

And anyway something off about them horn of Africans I'm a bit wary of them.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:21 AM

Any Italians on this site that could discuss this?

Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
That's surprising, that's a bit like the Washington DC district with a load of Ethiopian and Eritrean shops. Even here in Stockholm there's good amount of Ethiopians. Around 13,500 in Sweden that are immigrants from Ethiopia, but even here, they get along very well with us compared to other races.
What's this area called in Milan?
I don't know precisely how it's called but it is a square between public park "Indro Montanelli" and Stazione Centrale (corso Buenos Aires, via Lecco,via P. Castaldi etc).

Old 08-02-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I don't know precisely how it's called but it is a square between public park "Indro Montanelli" and Stazione Centrale (corso Buenos Aires, via Lecco,via P. Castaldi etc).
Right , what are people's attitudes towards them compared to other Black people?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:23 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,958 times
Because they have been in Italy during generations, since the colonial wars of Mussolini and Comte Ciano, plus, they are Christian....plus, genetically (I don't think that much people know) they are not blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe