Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:57 PM

46 posts, read 61,668 times

Advertisements

I work at a summer camp in the summer time and I love it. This year we had tons of people from the UK come over here to work as part of a program called Camp America. I've Googled programs like that for Americas but all I can find are some in Australia. Just wondering, are summer camps even a thing in Europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 08:48 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
They are in Russia. I don't know about the rest of Europe.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:56 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,331,625 times
I don´t know how common it is in Sweden today, but it used to be very common.
But if they were american style...?

Old 08-23-2014, 04:09 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,600 times
We have the "colonie estive". In practice we have old building at the seaside or on the mountain in which children are sent for one or two weeks during the summer to play together, have excursions and so on. Usually those places are near some village or little city, and not in the center of nowhere. This kind of activities was really popular during the fascism and then has lost progressively his popularity. During last years summer camps (with new and more catching names) are returning quite popular, principally because a lot of parents have to work during their children summer holiday, and so they need someone to control them.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:19 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
There are camps organised by the Austrian scouting organization, by the Catholic "Jungschar" organization (basically the same as scouts) and by various sports clubs (football, tennis, rowing, sailing, ...).

I guess the latter two are quite different to American camps.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:00 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,621 times
We've got like 100.000 of them in Spain, parents pay whatever amount to get rid of their pets at least during a month or two. All kinds of camps, the most famous ones are computer camps, English camps, Archeology camp, Restoration camp (they restore a castle, an old mill, etc). nature camp (they botter critters living peaceifully). Many are public funded.

A good way to restore old architecture for town halls..

Rich/middle class parents send their kids to Canada, Colorado, etc.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
There are camps organised by the Austrian scouting organization, by the Catholic "Jungschar" organization (basically the same as scouts) and by various sports clubs (football, tennis, rowing, sailing, ...).

I guess the latter two are quite different to American camps.
We have rowing and sailing camps here in the US.

Also, when I was a kid/teen and went to summer camp, rowing was always a part of it. My favorite part, in fact.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:36 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We have rowing and sailing camps here in the US.

Also, when I was a kid/teen and went to summer camp, rowing was always a part of it. My favorite part, in fact.
Well, I'm not that familiar with American sports camps, but I guess ours are different in the way that you have to be a member of the sports club that's organising the camp. It's more like a summer training session abroad or somewhere else in the country.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Well, I'm not that familiar with American sports camps, but I guess ours are different in the way that you have to be a member of the sports club that's organising the camp. It's more like a summer training session abroad or somewhere else in the country.
They have those here as well, though that's not the type I went to as a teen. I just went to a "generalized" sort of summer camp that offered a wide range of sports to choose from, and you focused on one or two during your time there (I generally chose rowing and archery but they also offered baseball, hiking, horseback riding, etc). But there are areas which have specific clubs and kids can go there for one specific sport or activity as you describe.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Summer camps in the Nordics might be a thing of the past. On the other hand it's a great idea though. Gives the parents/parent more elbow room on their vacation and a chance to catch up and relax without the kids in tow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe