Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 04:14 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times

Advertisements

Speaking from experience: people in small towns in the German speaking Alpine region may be more friendly to tourists (since that's what they make their money with), but are even more brutal and exclusive to foreigners in daily life. Foreigners include people from actual foreign countries and people just living in the village 10km down the road. It's not racism, but those are small communities where everybody knows each other.

OP may be in for an unpleasant surprise when he's stuck in a small ass town with just a couple of "Wirtshäuser" where the locals hang around. Especially when he keeps refusing to learn the language. Better to stay in the expat bubble of Zürich than to be completely alone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 07:37 AM

319 posts, read 395,067 times
Basically almost anywhere in Spain. Even in touristy cities such as Barcelona and Madrid the people are very friendly. They just like to socialize. You have to speak the language though, or at least have a slight understanding of it.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:56 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
Basically almost anywhere in Spain. Even in touristy cities such as Barcelona and Madrid the people are very friendly. They just like to socialize. You have to speak the language though, or at least have a slight understanding of it.
Yeah, Spaniards in general seem a lot more likely to talk your ear off (if you get off on a friendly foot) than any other groups I've been around in Europe. They're the funnest people, but it can be exhausting if you're an introvert.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:09 AM

228 posts, read 367,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
Yes but he said he doesn't want Southern Europe.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:12 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISTJ View Post
While Germans are a little friendlier and more open than the Swiss, most are still difficult to make friends with. The Swiss are basically just uber Germans magnified. Any traits Germans have, you can magnify by 10 for the Swiss.

I think in general most Europeans are like this, but the Swiss take it to a whole other level. I've done a lot of travel in Europe and can say the Swiss are definitely the most reclusive and hardest to make friends with.
The German Swiss say that they're slow to make friends, but once they accept you as a friend, you're friends for life, and they're very loyal. In some ways this is better than the superficial kind of friendship you find in some parts of the world.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Yep, try many years. Been living here 2 years now and despite my efforts of joining social/activity groups etc, it just seems they aren't interested.

All foreigners say the same thing. Knew of a guy who lived here 10 years and couldn't make a single friend.

Switzerland is a lonely place for a foreigner.
There must be a good expat scene in Zurich. That might be your best bet for friends.

The smaller towns in southern Germany can be friendly, but you need to speak German for the friendliness to happen. Do you speak German, OP? If not, I'm sure that's part of your problem.

Old 09-27-2014, 12:01 PM

2,651 posts, read 3,406,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The German Swiss say that they're slow to make friends, but once they accept you as a friend, you're friends for life, and they're very loyal. In some ways this is better than the superficial kind of friendship you find in some parts of the world.
Exactly, that's why the Germans are the best kind of the people when it comes to a decent companion.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
Exactly, that's why the Germans are the best kind of the people when it comes to a decent companion.
It would be great to have a circle of friends like that. Worth the wait, IMO.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:15 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,081,132 times
Quote:
Originally from Australia and now living in Zurich.

The only thing I hate about Zurich (and Switzerland in General) is the people. They are extremely reserved, xenophobic, racist, and impossible to make friends with.

Thinking of moving back to Australia but also wondering if there are any cities in Europe where the people are friendly, open, welcoming, and easy to make friends with. This does not include UK, so I'm just talking about continental Europe.

I'd prefer cities in a colder climate, as Southern Europe tends to get too hot in summer.
hey, are you orginally from Brisbane?

Old 09-28-2014, 12:07 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They probably don't want to be friends with just about everyone. Most Europeans and especially Germans/Swiss are very selective. They have to KNOW a person for a long time, before they consider to be friends.
I think, Germans like to have a sense of purpose before initiating a conversation. Saying "Hi, how are you", or "What's up" to a total stranger is pretty foreign to them, and they don't rush over to become instant friends with someone.
nothing wrong with that at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe