Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 06:50 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,955,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
In name but the map states otherwise.
Being Baltic and Nordic isn't just to do with geography. It's cultural as well.

Now stop trying to prove Finland is a Baltic nation because it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 07:05 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Are you blind?
No, I looked at the map.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
No, I looked at the map.
So let me guess, Iceland isn't a Nordic state either...

Old 11-03-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
You missed my point. Adopting English as an official language of some sort, and openly using it in official circles projects an image of wanting to be a part of the "big world".

BTW, a barmaid at the local pub started last week. She is Latvian, born there, as has only been in England for 2 weeks. Her English is near perfect. She is coloured, obviously with a black father. She said most young people want to and speak English in Latvia. They look west and want to be a part of it, despite Russia next to them. Sort of like the Finns.
I spoke to her last night. Her father was from Sudan and mother from Latvia. She does not have negro features, although dark skin and that figures as her father is Nubian. They met while in university in Russia. She was born in Libya, but her mother wanted to return to Latvia when she was a few months old.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rams_Lord View Post
So let me guess, Iceland isn't a Nordic state either...
It clearly is not a Baltic one. By UN definition the UK is Nordic country. Nordic just means northern.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:16 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,382,397 times
Quote:
Please leave London. You need to.
Why should I leave London?

Old 11-03-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
It clearly is not a Baltic one. By UN definition the UK is Nordic country. Nordic just means northern.
Your missing the point again, being a Nordic country also is to do with culture. Not just geography.

By UN definition, the UK is part of Northern Europe. Not Nordic Europe.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:17 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
No, I looked at the map.
Yeah, and Finland clearly is blue on that map. You're the one that drew that pathetic stupid thin red line then claim otherwise.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:24 AM

990 posts, read 1,944,152 times
Quote:
No it doesn't

Nordic countries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The Nordic countries are a geographical and cultural region in Northern Europe and the North Atlantic. It consists of five countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden) as well as their autonomous regions (the Åland Islands, the Faroe Islands and Greenland). The Nordic countries have much in common in their way of life, history, language and social structure. Politically, Nordic countries do not form a separate entity, but they co-operate in the Nordic Council.
What you are looking for is Northern Europe, which coincidentally does include all Nordic countries and territories (except Greenland cause thats not in Europe)

Northern Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Not to be confused with Nordic countries.

Northern Europe is the northern part or region of Europe. Geographically, northern Europe is usually taken to consist of Iceland, the Faroe Islands, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, the British Isles (United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man). Greenland (which is part of the Kingdom of Denmark) is geographically located in North America and is sometimes included in the northern Europe grouping or the Nordic countries, though rarely Scandinavia proper. Some northern parts of Russia are also in the northern part of Europe.

Northern European Countries according to the UN:

Denmark
Estonia
Finland
Iceland
Latvia
Lithuania
Faroe Islands
Sweden
Norway
United Kingdom
Ireland

Old 11-03-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Yeah, and Finland clearly is blue on that map. You're the one that drew that pathetic stupid thin red line then claim otherwise.
The line was drawn by Putin, not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe