Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2015, 05:50 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Userfinn, hey Userfinn, can you answer a question for me?
The fishes from Finland... Do they swim with their Finn fins?
Yes they do it all the time, when doing it but never when dont do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 07:11 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,061 times
Thank you, Userfinn. Your answer has helped me grow as a person.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Thank you, Userfinn. Your answer has helped me grow as a person.
Happy that you found my answer helpful, it was based on serious science an research of many years !

Old 12-01-2015, 06:12 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
For example, here is an aerial photo of the university I study at. This looks exactly like the aerial shot of half of any Finnish city I've ever bothered to get a visual of.

http://www.laurentianamps.ca/images/LAURENTIAN.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserFinn View Post
Lapland is nice but if coming here at summer time, have a visit on this areas too:
-Archipelago of Turku (or archipelago of southern coast)
-Lake Saimaa, specially city of Lappeenranta.
Yes, of course. I like the sea so I will hang around the Southern coast for quite some time, I'd imagine. On top of that I'd like to see Tampere, which sounds like a cool alternative kind of place, right up my alley. Lappeenranta has been on my mind already, as well as the area around Jyvaskyla and Oulu, for doing some type of camping experience.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
For example, here is an aerial photo of the university I study at. This looks exactly like the aerial shot of half of any Finnish city I've ever bothered to get a visual of.

http://www.laurentianamps.ca/images/LAURENTIAN.jpg

Yes, of course. I like the sea so I will hang around the Southern coast for quite some time, I'd imagine. On top of that I'd like to see Tampere, which sounds like a cool alternative kind of place, right up my alley. Lappeenranta has been on my mind already, as well as the area around Jyvaskyla and Oulu, for doing some type of camping experience.
Yes it looks and if not knowing, could think that picture is from Finland.
Tampere is quite compact and nice city and worth to check, my former girlfriend was from there and so I have visit there hundred of times.

If your plan is visit also at St.Petersburg, border is quite close the city of Lappeenranta and I am not sure but believe that there is also regular bus connection between Lappeenranta and St.Petersburg.
Also some buses from Helsinki is going via Lappeeranta but example this is going directly to St Petersburg.
St. Petersburg - Helsinki | Lux Express
Flying is easy and fast way but if want to see more and no hurry, then buss is recommended (and cheap too)

If plan is also visit at Jyväskylä, have a look also at same trip these cities:
-Imatra
-Savonlinna ( Via Punkaharju)
-Kuopio

Kuopio is funny place, it is the main nest of "savolaiset" (Kuopio is main city on the "Savo" region).
Very friendly peoples and great food but beware on there, they can drive you crazy...Happened to me on past, at late spring:
I was on my way to Kuopio Boat Show and had boat on trailer with me, because I was not sure about the location of boat show (No navigators on that time), I stopped in the side town of Kuopio and ask advice from old man who was walking sidewalk.

Me:Excuse me but do you know where is boat show, should be on this side of town?
Man: Well...can be here some were or then not.
Me: Yes it is some where here but like to how to drive there.
Man: Yes yes, I have heard about it and now I remember that opening day is tomorrow.
Me: Yes it is but do know address or can you show it from this map?
Man: Maybe, I am not sure...Nice boat you have, is that fishing boat?
Me: Yes, it is for fishing but can you please show from map the location of the Boat Show?
Man: I dont know if that is possible...How long show is open?
Me: three days only but need to have info, its difficult to drive and seek Boat Show with this long trailer.
Man: Yes I understand, I remember when I had trailer also.

Old woman with bicycle stops and ask what is issue here...

Me:Like to know best route to the boat show.
Woman: Oh...Boat show, how nice, summer is coming soon.
Me:Yes it is nice but do you know location of the boat show.
Woman: Maybe I know but not sure about it.
Me: ?
Man: How fast time is going, truly it is only around two months and then summer is here.
Me: Can you please check this map and point the location of boat show?
Man: Sorry but I am not from Kuopio, so I am not sure where it is, maybe on lake side?
Me: No it is not, its on fair center
Woman: I know the place, possible
Me: Can you tell me the address and maybe route how to drive there?
Woman: Yes
Me: Great
Woman: But only with bicycle, I know only bicycle roads.
Me: Well,I can not use bicycle roads with my truck and trailer.
Woman: Oh...I did not think that at all.

Second man is coming via walk side and stops and ask what meeting is here?

Me: Like to find how to drive to the boats show.
Second man: Oh yes, boat show...I have purpose to visit there !
First man: Maybe I should also
Woman: Boating is not my hobby so it is possible that dont visit there but who knows, maybe there is also some other things to see than boats.
Me: How about that location?
Second man: If you have a map, I can point it to you.
Me: Yes please, here is the map.
Second man: Its somewhere here ( Finger covers area size of around 3 x 3 km)
Me: This dont help me at all, I know that it is there but what is best route to drive there with this long combination?
Second man: Sorry but I dont know how to drive that kind of combination, have only small family car.
Me: Okay then...
First man: What kind of fishing is this boat for?
Me: Well...For rod fishing example.
Woman: I love fish soup.
Me: Yep, specially salomon soup is great.
First man: Salomon is good.
Second man: Specially smoked salomon is good.
Woman: I love it too.

Buss stops nearby (It seems to be end of the route and turning point because buss driver comes also to check what is the meaning of this meeting).

Buss driver: Hi guys and lady, what are you talking about here?
First man: We are talking about smoking salomon.
Buss driver: Yep, great fish but need to know how to smoke it.
Me: If you are driving city buss then you know route to the fair center?
Buss driver: Sorry but this buss is not going there.
Me: Yes I understand but...
First man: It seems that there is not too much passengers on these days
Buss driver: True, specially on holiday season is bad for business
Woman: I use so much my bicycle
Second man: And many peoples are using own cars on these days also

On woman more walks behind the buss and asks when buss will start again on its route and when get answer that after ten minutes, she like to know what we are talking about.

First man: Just talking that buses have less and less passengers every year.
Second woman: So true, I remember how there was much more passengers few years ago on this route
First woman: Too bad, buss service will be soon cut by city government
Second man: Sure it is possible that this will happen or then not
Me: Thanks concerning help but need to go now...
First woman: Hurry is not good for heart
First man: true, it is better to calm down now and then....

I spend around ten minutes to find out the route but no succes
When driving away, I saw from truck mirror that they were still talking, who knows how long and it was so funny when I realized that they were totally strangers for each others.
Finally I found the way by my self but this episode was good lesson (Again) that if on Savo-region peoples have time ( and they will find time ) to discuss, nothing stops them to take stranger in to the endless discussion, concerning all subjects between heaven and earth.

So, Kuopio (Savo region) is must place to visit, you hate or you love it....I love it when understood the name of the game.

There is some differences between peoples in Finland, example Helsinki region is place where peoples are friendly but keeps some distance to strangers (Comes more friendly after knowing person better).
Peoples on South-Carelia (Lappeenranta region) are some what like peoples in Kuopio region, very friendly right away but dont have so much public discuss meetings on streets

Last edited by UserFinn; 12-02-2015 at 07:16 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 01:36 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Use Onnibus for getting around. Cheaper and better than Matkahuolto or the train.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Use Onnibus for getting around. Cheaper and better than Matkahuolto or the train.
Mostly so but on these days also VR (train) and Express bus have good offers, example around 100 km with 5 € (Depending on route and time of travel).

Old 10-07-2016, 07:23 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
What a coincidence, just when the deputy secretary of defence Robert Work is in Helsinki:

Two Russian planes suspected of breaching Finnish airspace | Yle Uutiset | yle.fi

"The Border Guard is investigating two instances of suspected breaches of Finnish airspace by Russian fighter jets south of Porvoo. Defence Minister Jussi Niinistö said that two such breaches in one day are exceptional, especially as the planes involved were fighter jets. Airspace violations by Russia in recent years have been mostly cargo planes."

https://twitter.com/Puolustusvoimat/...59087525330944

Old 10-07-2016, 09:12 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,411 times
All Finland must do is play this through every window. It is terrible enough to keep Russians out.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What a coincidence, just when the deputy secretary of defence Robert Work is in Helsinki:

Two Russian planes suspected of breaching Finnish airspace | Yle Uutiset | yle.fi

"The Border Guard is investigating two instances of suspected breaches of Finnish airspace by Russian fighter jets south of Porvoo. Defence Minister Jussi Niinistö said that two such breaches in one day are exceptional, especially as the planes involved were fighter jets. Airspace violations by Russia in recent years have been mostly cargo planes."

https://twitter.com/Puolustusvoimat/...59087525330944
Just an russian tourist.
East-Ukraine and Crimea have also lot of russian tourists with tanks etc, so with same logic this must be charter flight from Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe