Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 12:55 PM

363 posts, read 481,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Really?
Why not Norwegians then?
Good question... It can be compared With how germans before ww2 saw various nations as low lifes, only that many swedes still today have this view on Norway and probably also on other nations.

Till recently it was Typicall swedish mentality to pretend that they didnt understand Norwegian when a Norwegian person talked to a swede.

Last edited by Tjua; 11-20-2014 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 01:44 PM

990 posts, read 1,948,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
Good question... It can be compared With how germans before ww2 saw various nations as low lifes, only that many swedes still today have this view on Norway and probably also on other nations.

Till recently it was Typicall swedish mentality to pretend that they didnt understand Norwegian when a Norwegian person talked to a swede.
What a bunch of BS. Swedes does not have this view of Norway and other countries. If you ask a Swede what country they feel the most related to, the most common answer is Norway. I have lived in Sweden my entire life and I have never encountered or heard about any anti-Norwegian sentiment here, but rather the opposite that we feel related and close to our neighbors Norway, Denmark and Finland.

But I also understand that this is your own personal views, and not the view by Norwegians as whole. Normal Norwegians does not go around calling Swedes for nazis and Danes for fat and lazy idiots like you do, unless its part of some joke.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-20-2014 at 01:57 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
But what about all the Spanish, portuguese and italian settlers in Bergen city back in the old days, were they also part of the germanic tribe !?!
No, I am talking about the original Germanic tribes of Norway and the rest of Scandinavia, far before the Viking age and far before Christianity existed, and far before there was a city called Bergen. We are talking about hundreds of years BC.

Norway is just as Germanic as Denmark and Sweden is, and it would only be foolish to deny this fact. Not only is it Germanic, but its also part of the original Proto-Germanic Europe that was Denmark, Sweden, Norway and the northernmost part of what today is Germany.

Why you want to distance Norway from other Germanic countries and even other Scandinavian countries, I don't know.

Old 11-20-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
OK then, not many, but atleast some norwegians see swedes as germans. Swedes and germans have many of the same qualities.
Yes, we have certain German influences from the Hanseatic era, but so do you. And whats so bad about having a few similarities to Germany? Do you have anything against Germans or what? As for similarities, we are not more similar to Germany than Norway is. And only backwards people judge and look down on modern countries for history and old wars.

If I were thinking like that, then I as a Blekinger should be against modern Swedes for things they did to Blekingers in the past and be against modern Danes for not defending us enough when the Swedes attacked us, but like most people I let history stay in the history books.

There is a very few backwards outcasts though like the grocery store owner who refused to accept Swedish 500 kronor bills as payment cause it has King Carl XI on it (who massacred Blekingers and Scanians for hundreds of years ago), but thankfully normal people are not like that.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-20-2014 at 02:21 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 03:00 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,891,130 times
There's not a nation in the Baltic and North Sea that don't have any Hanseatic influences.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:01 AM

7,502 posts, read 6,323,353 times
this map is important in the story of broad generalizations.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:35 AM

401 posts, read 536,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
What a bunch of BS. Swedes does not have this view of Norway and other countries. If you ask a Swede what country they feel the most related to, the most common answer is Norway. I have lived in Sweden my entire life and I have never encountered or heard about any anti-Norwegian sentiment here, but rather the opposite that we feel related and close to our neighbors Norway, Denmark and Finland.

But I also understand that this is your own personal views, and not the view by Norwegians as whole. Normal Norwegians does not go around calling Swedes for nazis and Danes for fat and lazy idiots like you do, unless its part of some joke.
To call this BS is premature. Tjua has correctly stated how Norwegians observe Swedes. Of course Norwegians and Swedes are close, like brothers. But that still entitles Norwegians and Swedes to have opinions of eachother.

A lot of recentment towards Swedes in Norway can be found, and a lot of it still stems from WW2. Actually the Norwegian prime minister during the war said there where two things he would do when after the Germans where thrown out. He would raise the Norwegian flag and punch the Swedish prime minister in the face!!

The major reason Hitler occupied Norway was the Swedish iron-ore transport out of Narvik. Churchill firmly believed that this supply of iron-ore was of great importance for the German Third-Reich.

Only a Swede can downplay the role WW2 had on Norway. It set back that country many decades. IMO, the concequences can still be felt.

But Sweden was also threatened by Hitler during WW2, so the Swedes were somewhat in a predicament in order to stay neutral, although many Norwegians felt they went too far in that aspect.

Also, most of Norways military in 1940 consisted of old forts directed towards what? Yes, correct Sweden.
Various unsuccessful military campaigns thruout history by the Swedes caused this, and also somewhat the Swedish kings behaviour in 1905.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:44 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,085,646 times
Norwegians, at least some time ago, blamed Swedes for their invasion, and now, with their economic boom, they complain about Swedish immigration.

Just old feuds such as the one existing between Germans and all their neighbours, Spain and Portugal, Italy and Austria, France and the world, etc.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:53 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,362,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
Italy and Austria
Nah. Italians are cool. No feuds whatsoever. Even though they essentially upheld an apartheid regime against Austrians till the early 70s Remarkable considering that Germans never really did anything against us and we still kinda hold a grudge against them.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
To call this BS is premature. Tjua has correctly stated how Norwegians observe Swedes. Of course Norwegians and Swedes are close, like brothers. But that still entitles Norwegians and Swedes to have opinions of eachother.

A lot of recentment towards Swedes in Norway can be found, and a lot of it still stems from WW2. Actually the Norwegian prime minister during the war said there where two things he would do when after the Germans where thrown out. He would raise the Norwegian flag and punch the Swedish prime minister in the face!!

The major reason Hitler occupied Norway was the Swedish iron-ore transport out of Narvik. Churchill firmly believed that this supply of iron-ore was of great importance for the German Third-Reich.

Only a Swede can downplay the role WW2 had on Norway. It set back that country many decades. IMO, the concequences can still be felt.

But Sweden was also threatened by Hitler during WW2, so the Swedes were somewhat in a predicament in order to stay neutral, although many Norwegians felt they went too far in that aspect.

Also, most of Norways military in 1940 consisted of old forts directed towards what? Yes, correct Sweden.
Various unsuccessful military campaigns thruout history by the Swedes caused this, and also somewhat the Swedish kings behaviour in 1905.
I agree that Sweden's role was shameful in WWII, but so was many, many other countries at the time. I am not downplaying on this, I am saying that history should stay in the history books. If not, then should French and British people resent modern Germans for WWII? Should Americans resent modern British people for the war in 1812? Should modern South African Boers resent modern British people for the Boer War? There is no logical or good reason to resent modern people for things done when they weren't even born.

And the claim that Swedes today would view Norwegians as low lifes, is absolute BS. I do not think there is much serious resentment towards eachothers in either country, except by a few backwards invidivuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe