Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:58 AM

401 posts, read 535,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
I agree that Sweden's role was shameful in WWII, but so was many, many other countries at the time. I am not downplaying on this, I am saying that history should stay in the history books. If not, then should French and British people resent modern Germans for WWII? Should Americans resent modern British people for the war in 1812? Should modern South African Boers resent modern British people for the Boer War? There is no logical or good reason to resent modern people for things done when they weren't even born.

And the claim that Swedes today would view Norwegians as low lifes, is absolute BS. I do not think there is much serious resentment towards eachothers in either country, except by a few backwards invidivuals.
I totally agree. Also as I mentioned Hitler pressured Sweden into decisions. I would imagine Stockholm was afraid what that lunatic might do next. Also, Norwegians should not forget that Sweden acted as the main transit country for all refugees, both Jews and resistance.

However, for the future in Norways case when it comes to defense againts various barechested hillbillys on horsebacks...Norway should not depend on military support from either Sweden nor EU. NATO is the only entity with capacity and will to defend its members.

It might soon be due time for Sweden to consider membership....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 10:55 AM

363 posts, read 480,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
And where is Citizens of Bergen in Norway? No other city in European history during peacetime have had so much crime, murder, arsons and violence like Bergen during the Hanseatic period. It was Citizens of Bergen and Scottish People VS. the germans. It was like a 100+ year long Balkan war.
I forgot to mention that the germans back then had alliance With some sort of "catholic army" blessed by the pope or something like that. The catholics probably worked as some sort of Mafia "problem solvers" I dont remember all the details about the germans in Bergen because it is so long ago since I read about them. But Anarchy it was, something like 15 - 20 murders each day, and that was With a population of 100 000 which Bergen had back then. To compare it With todays world, the closest thing must probably be the drug wars in some of the cities in South America.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:21 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,273,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
If England is in Germanic Europe where is Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland? ''Celto-Germanic Europe''?
All the British isles are of english-derived culture nowodays since quite a lot of centuries. "Celtic" culture is a minority culture in allthose places. Those places are not more "celtic" more than the USA not an amerindian nation. All those "neo-celtic" stuff is only a romantic invention of the 19th century that spread with the only political goal of distanciate with England. If by "celtic" some people mean a sort of ethnic/racial concept (which for me means nothing) then southern Germany could be considered "celto-germanic" (original celts came from Austria/souhtern Germany) if you whish but certainly not the British isles...

Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 AM

363 posts, read 480,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjua View Post
But what about all the Spanish, portuguese and italian settlers in Bergen city back in the old days, were they also part of the germanic tribe !?!
Some history about the latins in Bergen city:

The latins came to Bergen after the Anarchy period, when the city had became much more civilized. The italians had a trading route called "Northern light route" that covered all the coast of Norway, Bergen was just one of many habours for them. This was during 17th Century if I remember correctly.

During the 18th Century the spaniards and portuguese dominated the bacalhao export from Bergen to South America. The scots could not compete With the spaniards and portuguese, so the scots exported in much smaller scale from smaller towns further North in Norway: Bacalhau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-24-2014, 04:05 AM

48 posts, read 69,530 times
Extension of the map:
The seven worlds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe