Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 01:54 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
They are not invented.

The names he mentioned like Weinstein, Lencastre, among others are due to Nobility.

Those names are from a higher class status, usually what you call, blue blood or nobility/royal blood.

England and Portugal is one of the oldest if not oldest indeed, alliance treaty in the word going back to 1200s I believe.

Between royalty and nobility, in order to enforce the ties between both countries, it was common for noble men/women to marry their counterparts from England and vice versa.

However, just a little curious fact, Lancaster is not an English name it actually derives from Portugal and is because of the english queen Philipa Lencastre (portuguese princess) that married the english king.

But yeah the fact of the names, of some being or looking foreign/english is due to that.
I am not so sure about that origin of Lencastre. I assume it comes from Lancaster, which in turn has this origin:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancas...ashire#History
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 01:56 PM

560 posts, read 599,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That girl does not look Portuguese. I can't rule out that she is, but she does not look typical of Portuguese children.
And no, I don't really see that hair color with children here, either, even if you refer to that as blonde, which it is not in my view. Not to mention the eyes.

Yes, people's hair tends gets darker with age, which makes the difference between children's and adults' hair color in this country even more absurd.
I was blond as a child myself, now my hair is dark, with lots of silver and white, that is
Well thats to you then... I have 30 years of empirical evidence and knowing the culture. I have went myself to 10 schools myself ... I know people from other schools and I can say about 30ish% of kids would look like that.

Looks like a normal portuguese kid. And yes she is portuguese. Shes related to me actually.

Last edited by Lusitano_; 12-29-2016 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-29-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
That name is not English. It's French and I actually know him. And he comes from old french nobility (not him per se, but his family ancestors).

His family still owns a very large "Solar" (Palace/Lord building)
Granger seems to be both English and French, coming from the same Latin word granicarius.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granger_(name)

Old 12-29-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I am not so sure about that origin of Lencastre. I assume it comes from Lancaster, which in turn has this origin:
I might stand corrected there then. The story was the opposite I told. She married to John I the king of Portugal. She was the daughter of 1st Duke of Lancaster and brought the name here during the alliance. I was under the impression she was portuguese and married the english king

I mixed the story there

Old 12-29-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Granger seems to be both English and French, coming from the same Latin word granicarius.
Well, his is French. If you see him on the street and call him Granger with english pronounciation he'll kick you in the teeth!

Its Gran dje (no idea how to make the sound on a keyboard).

The same with my name I hate when people here in the US pronounce it english. My name is not a Tennis court! (Bettencourt my surname)

Old 12-29-2016, 02:03 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:

A large court from that region followed Phillipa of Lancaster in 1387 she was the daughter of John of Gaunt the Duke of Lancaster when she wed King John I of Portugal. They are entwined into the Portuguese nobility. You probably know by now the country is still run by the descendants of the nobility.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Mello Breyner, Lencastre, Weinstein, Bustorff, Ricciardi, Hansen, Sturken, Arnaut or Arnaud, Burnay, Champalimaud, Saragga etc are all names in portuguese just to name a few. These names are also connected to higher class/higher status. Theres plenty more names that could sound weird to you but are portuguese indeed. Im sure if I go to my Facebook friend list I will find plenty more...

But if you start dissecting everything then there is no real portuguese name since portugal was founded mostly from French knights I believe. At least nobility.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Well thats to you then... I have 30 years of empirical evidence and knowing the culture. I have went myself to 10 schools myself ... I know people from other schools and I can say about 30ish% of kids would look like that.

Looks like a normal portuguese kid. And yes she is portuguese
Sorry, she does not look like a normal Portuguese kid at all. Maybe she does in Porto or Braga, but not in most of the country. I have never lived north of Aveiro, though.

For instance a photo from a school library in Coimbra:
https://profbibliotocas.files.wordpr...la_janicas.jpg

Or this school in Santarém:
http://www.oribatejo.pt/wp-content/u...1491045976.jpg

Old 12-29-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Well, his is French. If you see him on the street and call him Granger with english pronounciation he'll kick you in the teeth!

Its Gran dje (no idea how to make the sound on a keyboard).

The same with my name I hate when people here in the US pronounce it english. My name is not a Tennis court! (Bettencourt my surname)
I remember talking to a friend here years ago and, I don't even remember the context, but I said the name Bettencourt pronounced in English and he asked me a couple of times before he understood what I meant

Old 12-29-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Mello Breyner, Lencastre, Weinstein, Bustorff, Ricciardi, Hansen, Sturken, Arnaut or Arnaud, Burnay, Champalimaud, Saragga etc are all names in portuguese just to name a few. These names are also connected to higher class/higher status. Theres plenty more names that could sound weird to you but are portuguese indeed. Im sure if I go to my Facebook friend list I will find plenty more...

But if you start dissecting everything then there is no real portuguese name since portugal was founded mostly from French knights I believe. At least nobility.
What remains are the masses of Lopes, Rodrigues, Oliveira, Simões, etc.
The names you listed above are all rare names, although I have heard most of them. But they are a drop in the ocean compared to real Portuguese names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe