Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 10:38 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,891,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Actually, it was a Portuguese neighbor who first told me the Portuguese have low self-esteem and that the loud and extroverted way is only a mask to hide that. That was like a few months after I first arrived in Portugal, i.e. long before I had the insight to arrive at such a conclusion myself. But with time I have come to agree with him.
That's also why the Portuguese crave for compliments, often all but asking foreigners for compliments, which is embarrassing in my view.
That is interesting I don't deny you are meeting people with those traits but those aren't the Portuguese I know. I have family and friends in Lisbon, Porto and the Azores islands as well as in the diaspora in the USA, Canada and France those traits aren't typical of the people I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 10:38 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Don't all women around the globe dye their hair in blonde?
Luckily not, my Indian friend for instance is proud of her black hair and her culture as a whole. Indians don't dye their hair blonde.
Nor do the Chinese.
Which already covers almost 1/2 of mankind

Old 12-29-2016, 10:39 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
Lmao no not by mengele's mansion. No I live in America but I've noticed that blue eye contacts seem to be all the rage over here and around most of the world. (Japan has a huge obsession with colored contacts) I have seen a few Southern Europeans with blue eye contacts but I don't know why some people have to do that. I think everyone looks good in their own way but sometimes people get brainwashed and influenced by the media to look a certain way.
Southern Europeans are very handsome. Northern, central and Eastern Europeans are very handsome as well but it's a good thing that everyone has their own unique look. If everyone looked the same that would be boring.

Edit: I must add that I know there are Southern Europeans who have blue eyes not everyone will have brown eyes but I did know a few people who actually used contacts that's why I was surprised.

You are wrong, you have never been in Europe and I guess you must be Ginger.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:48 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,224 times
Quote:
Well, Portugal is not Spain, the Portuguese have lower self-esteem. I don't know Spanish tv, but here there are definitely too many blonde and blue-eyed people on Portuguese tv. I think there is a certain caste of people, dating back to foreigners, one can also see it from the names of some of those actors and actresses, like Wallenstein, Lancastre, Kelly, etc.

I don't think it is a fashion. Fashions come and go, but the obsession with blond seems to be a permanent thing.
And it does not say good things about the taste of those women who dye their hair blonde, because they obviously seem to think they look better that way, which is hardly ever the case.

It insults my eyes to have to see a Miss Piggy like this on Portuguese tv, frankly.
http://dioguinho.pt/wp-content/uploa...herm-2_LSC.jpg

Fortunately, things are gradually changing, though, thanks to popular actresses like Rita Pereira, Sara Matos, Ana Sofia Martins etc.

I remember that Portuguese had a great admiration for everything English, which sounded very strange to Spanish. Those foreign names could be invented..some cases here..as it sounded more snobbish.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:59 AM

426 posts, read 351,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
You are wrong, you have never been in Europe and I guess you must be Ginger.
Don't make me laugh you are comic gold. How do you know I've never been in Europe? I go every year, I was in europe 4 times this year and I used to live in Germany for a while plus I still have strong family ties over there. Why do people assume that Americans are completely ignorant about the rest of the world? The world doesn't revolve around America you know so. I love traveling, I always have but yes sadly there are some Americans who never left the country and don't know much about the rest of the world.

Where are you from?

Last edited by Yourgermanicanish; 12-29-2016 at 11:39 AM..

Old 12-29-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I remember that Portuguese had a great admiration for everything English, which sounded very strange to Spanish. Those foreign names could be invented..some cases here..as it sounded more snobbish.
That's correct. There is an old alliance with Britain, one of the oldest alliances between two countries in the world.

Just checked on those names, Lencastre seems to go back to Alencastre from Madeira, and from there to Britain.
José Wallenstein has German and Azorean ancestors.
Breyner is another odd name that several actors share. And some of them are not even related to each other. Matilde Breyner for instance is related to old noble families from Mafra and the Azores. Nicolau Breyner is related to another noble family.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:17 AM
F18

542 posts, read 529,123 times
Quote:
Sorry but that's not true. Most Portuguese people know very little about England except the fact that they have been Portugal's ally for a very long time (700 years I think) and that they helped to keep our independence.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:23 AM
AFP

Quote:
That's correct. There is an old alliance with Britain, one of the oldest alliances between two countries in the world.

Just checked on those names, Lencastre seems to go back to Alencastre from Madeira, and from there to Britain.
José Wallenstein has German and Azorean ancestors.
Breyner is another odd name that several actors share. And some of them are not even related to each other. Matilde Breyner for instance is related to old noble families from Mafra and the Azores. Nicolau Breyner is related to another noble family.
There isn't anything unusual about the way these people look I can go to any village in the tiny Azores islands and find people that look like this.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
There isn't anything unusual about the way these people look I can go to any village in the tiny Azores islands and find people that look like this.
The Azores as such are not typical of Portugal, anyway

Remembered another actor, Pedro Granger, there are also several British names in his family history:
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_...r#Vida_pessoal

Old 12-29-2016, 11:44 AM
AFP

Quote:
The Azores as such are not typical of Portugal, anyway

Remembered another actor, Pedro Granger, there are also several British names in his family history:
https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_...r#Vida_pessoal
Well you posted pics of people you thought looked foreign but to me the look like average typical people a bit on the lighter side but nothing unusual.

It isn't too unusual for people to be descended from nobility or have some ancestors from other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe