Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 09:40 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
Yeah that is sad. I think they look great with their natural hair color. It makes me sad to see how obsessed people get with dyeing their hair color even going as fair as using blue eye contacts. It makes my blood boil though when people tell me how come you don't have blonde hair you are half german. They expect me to look like Heidi klum or something lol. She's a pretty women but I have to constantly tell people that not everyone is gonna look like her.
Same thing when I hear about why don't I have blue eyes. I don't know why people obsess about that. I think blue eyes are nice but I think green and brown eyes look great as well.

Were do you live, in Paraguay, near Mengele's mansion? Oklahoma? Are you Ginger's neighbour? Nobody uses cloured eye contact lenses except if they are actors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 09:50 AM

426 posts, read 351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Were do you live, in Paraguay, near Mengele's mansion? Oklahoma? Are you Ginger's neighbour? Nobody uses eye contact lenses except if they are actors.
Lmao no not by mengele's mansion. No I live in America but I've noticed that blue eye contacts seem to be all the rage over here and around most of the world. (Japan has a huge obsession with colored contacts) I have seen a few Southern Europeans with blue eye contacts but I don't know why some people have to do that. I think everyone looks good in their own way but sometimes people get brainwashed and influenced by the media to look a certain way.
Southern Europeans are very handsome. Northern, central and Eastern Europeans are very handsome as well but it's a good thing that everyone has their own unique look. If everyone looked the same that would be boring.

Edit: I must add that I know there are Southern Europeans who have blue eyes not everyone will have brown eyes but I did know a few people who actually used contacts that's why I was surprised.

Last edited by Yourgermanicanish; 12-29-2016 at 10:29 AM..

Old 12-29-2016, 09:58 AM

560 posts, read 599,013 times
Actually, Portugal is a mix. To say there are not so many blondes and blue/green eyes in Portugal that is not true.

The North of Portugal, especially Tras Montes, Minho etc the main trait is actually very blonde and blue/green eyes. So much so, that even when you see someone very white - less of an olive tone type of skin - and very blonde and light eyes people say in a teasing way that you're probably from Tras Montes.

There are lots of natural blondes or light brown haired people in Portugal.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:06 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Just a fashion, not low self-esteem. Women go to the hairdresser and ask.
Roman women also loved blonde hair and Germanics were below apes.
In fact, blonde hair was the only profitable import from Germania.
Many blond and blue-eyed actors? Not in Spain.
Just the reverse, blonde and blue eyed women are somewhat relegated.
This is Spain's hottest actor, although he's Cuban. He looks quite typical.
He plays the role of Serrano Sunyer, that was shorter, a good old friend of Addie.
Spain always had actors that looked very "cazurros", country yokels during the "desarrollismo" and "democracy". Look at Almodovar et al, they all lok gypsies.
Well, Portugal is not Spain, the Portuguese have lower self-esteem. I don't know Spanish tv, but here there are definitely too many blonde and blue-eyed people on Portuguese tv. I think there is a certain caste of people, dating back to foreigners, one can also see it from the names of some of those actors and actresses, like Wallenstein, Lancastre, Kelly, etc.

I don't think it is a fashion. Fashions come and go, but the obsession with blond seems to be a permanent thing.
And it does not say good things about the taste of those women who dye their hair blonde, because they obviously seem to think they look better that way, which is hardly ever the case.

It insults my eyes to have to see a Miss Piggy like this on Portuguese tv, frankly.
http://dioguinho.pt/wp-content/uploa...herm-2_LSC.jpg

Fortunately, things are gradually changing, though, thanks to popular actresses like Rita Pereira, Sara Matos, Ana Sofia Martins etc.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitano_ View Post
Actually, Portugal is a mix. To say there are not so many blondes and blue/green eyes in Portugal that is not true.

The North of Portugal, especially Tras Montes, Minho etc the main trait is actually very blonde and blue/green eyes. So much so, that even when you see someone very white - less of an olive tone type of skin - and very blonde and light eyes people say in a teasing way that you're probably from Tras Montes.

There are lots of natural blondes or light brown haired people in Portugal.
Not in most parts of the country. As I said, go past school yards in Lisbon, Setúbal etc. and you will see that the vast majority of people are black-haired, hardly any blonde kids.

And you can see it on blonde people's heads as well because often you can see black hair having grown back before the next dying.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:18 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, Portugal is not Spain, the Portuguese have lower self-esteem. I don't know Spanish tv, but here there are definitely too many blonde and blue-eyed people on Portuguese tv. I think there is a certain caste of people, dating back to foreigners, one can also see it from the names of some of those actors and actresses, like Wallenstein, Lancastre, Kelly, etc.

I don't think it is a fashion. Fashions come and go, but the obsession with blond seems to be a permanent thing.
And it does not say good things about the taste of those women who dye their hair blonde, because they obviously seem to think they look better that way, which is hardly ever the case.

It insults my eyes to have to see a Miss Piggy like this on Portuguese tv, frankly.

Fortunately, things are gradually changing, though, thanks to popular actresses like Rita Pereira, Sara Matos, Ana Sofia Martins etc.
You keep repeating this and use as examples that women dye their hair and you see quite a few actors and actresses that look Nordic and that's it's you impression. I don't think that is what it is the Portuguese have always had a taste for what is foreign and some do think that what is foreign is better but I think you exaggerate on this particular topic.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
You keep repeating this and use as examples that women dye their hair and you see quite a few actors and actresses that look Nordic and that's it's you impression. I don't think that is what it is the Portuguese have always had a taste for what is foreign and some do think that what is foreign is better but I think you exaggerate on this particular topic.
Actually, it was a Portuguese neighbor who first told me the Portuguese have low self-esteem and that the loud and extroverted way is only a mask to hide that. That was like a few months after I first arrived in Portugal, i.e. long before I had the insight to arrive at such a conclusion myself. But with time I have come to agree with him.
That's also why the Portuguese crave for compliments, often all but asking foreigners for compliments, which is embarrassing in my view.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:30 AM

749 posts, read 855,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
This is a bit off topic but why do I hear that stereotype often that Portuguese women are hairy or unnatractive? I feel bad that people label them in such a way. I don't think that is the case. I haven't met many in my life time but the few I've met have been very pretty so it's kind of sad when people come up with these kind of stereotypes about them. I've seen worse looking people in America and in the U.K. They have their a** hanging out, wearing socks with sandals, big gold chains, walking around drunk while falling over puking everywhere, then trying to hit on people lol but that doesn't mean that all Americans and British people will look like that. Every country in the world will have attractive and unattractive people. There isn't a single country out there that will only have unnatractive people.
It's a stereotype. In the US french women are known for keeping their armpits hairy and being terrorized by showers.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:33 AM

749 posts, read 855,543 times
Quote:

Don't all women around the globe dye their hair in blonde?

Old 12-29-2016, 10:34 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,015 times
Quote:

I have a theory that is not related to hair or eye colour.
Probably, when Salazar founded Portuguese Television, he chose some big shot to create a overstaffed contraption, just like in Spain.
Probably...and I'm guessing, there were all inbreds from some town near Braga, northern Portugal, former Suevia...s they all had the same face, blonde, high cheekbones, etc.
Just a theory taking into perspective Television Española founded in 1956.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe