Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:18 AM

401 posts, read 534,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
That seems unlikely since the overall violent crime rate in the USA is 2x that of the worst European country (UK) and 5x that of most countries in Europe. In the bad neighborhoods in the USA the crime rates are more like 15x that of anywhere in Europe. More people have been killed by gunfire in Chicago than in Afghanistan.
Is that a fact? On what do you base this on? 1930`s Chicago gang wars?

How do you explain this:

Violent Crime in the US Has Declined Rapidly. What Happened?

or this:

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Daily Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 08:32 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingen View Post
Daily Mail isn't a good source to say Britain is more violent than South Africa or the USA is RIDICULOUS. You only have to open your eyes to see that.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:42 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,269 times
Quote:
You seriously wanna say the US is less violent then Europe? Haha, well you'd have to come up with a better source then that before I believe that lol.
You really believe this? I consider this the same kind of "reliable source" as the one that said half of France is ruled by Sharia law and has muslim no go zones

Old 04-15-2015, 10:02 AM

401 posts, read 534,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
You seriously wanna say the US is less violent then Europe? Haha, well you'd have to come up with a better source then that before I believe that lol.
You really believe this? I consider this the same kind of "reliable source" as the one that said half of France is ruled by Sharia law and has muslim no go zones
Depends on the crime. Some areas in Europe are overrepresented in certain types of crime. Say Sweden with rape. (why is this?) Murder is higher is the US than in most of Europe.

But robbery, assault and burglary is more frequent per 100 000 population in the UK than the US. (why is this?)

http://www.civitas.org.uk/crime/crim...ecdjan2012.pdf

Or don`t you want to believe those numbers either?

Of course it is very common to generalize that the US is a way much more dangerous place than Europe.

Again, it is hard to compare Detroit with Paris.

Point is: the crime rate in the US is on a decline...probably because they are locking up the criminals.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:00 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
Europe has absolutely *no* idea how to handle integrating minorities. While there are ethnic neighborhoods and ghettos in the US, they've got NOTHING on how it is in Europe.

Immigration is at an early stage here so i think it's too soon to judge, with time things will improve, many are integrating well but that doesn't seem to hold true for everyone. On average they tend to commit more crimes than locals but that can be explained by their social position, in fact most of them are still part of the lower classes and haven't had enough time to move up the social scale.

Could you explain why you think so? Have you even been to Europe, if so how can you judge the situation here?

Quote:
Some areas in Europe are overrepresented in certain types of crime. Say Sweden with rape. (why is this?)
Rape is perceived and defined very differently in Sweden than it is elsewhere, the definition of a certain type of crime is very different in each country that's why it's difficult to compare anything except murder which is the same everywhere.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Immigration is at an early stage here so i think it's too soon to judge, with time things will improve, many are integrating well but that doesn't seem to hold true for everyone. On average they tend to commit more crimes than locals but that can be explained by their social position, in fact most of them are still part of the lower classes and haven't had enough time to move up the social scale.

Could you explain why you think so? Have you even been to Europe, if so how can you judge the situation here?
Their ''social disposition'' is the main reason why they commit more crime NOT because they're not Italian.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:11 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Their ''social disposition'' is the main reason why they commit more crime NOT because they're not Italian.
That's what i said, i never blamed anyone for their culture or nationality, luckily we are managing to avoid the phenomenon of ethnic ghettos.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
That's what i said, i never blamed anyone for their culture or nationality, luckily we are managing to avoid the phenomenon of ethnic ghettos.
Yeah I know I said it for all the racists and xenophobes out there.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:00 AM

138 posts, read 130,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Unfortunately, racism I's alive and well everywhere.
It is also VERY hard to be a white person in this day and age with all the stick and hassle we get. I always feel like I am walking on egg shells and that I owe black people something.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesickness View Post
It is also VERY hard to be a white person in this day and age with all the stick and hassle we get. I always feel like I am walking on egg shells and that I owe black people something.
You should be Black and see how hard White people get it in this day and age. LOL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe