Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 02:22 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think Warsaw, Poland is more similar to Austin.
what I mean by the Austin of europe is because austin is constantly telling the world how weird and cool it is, but when you go its just full of hipsters and snobby yuppies with nothing special... same with berlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 02:26 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Berlin has low wages and a not very good economy. It's also practically in Poland. I would think very carefully.

If you want to move to Germany, why not move somewhere with a better economy, more jobs, and not so isolated? Somewhere like Munich, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Cologne or Hamburg?

Old 02-28-2015, 02:27 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Well, maybe you and your friends were the cool people at the time.
And NYC during the 80's was starting to get better in parts. It was a much better decade than the 70's.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:05 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Berlin has low wages and a not very good economy. It's also practically in Poland. I would think very carefully.

If you want to move to Germany, why not move somewhere with a better economy, more jobs, and not so isolated? Somewhere like Munich, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Cologne or Hamburg?
That's a good point, I hadn't really considered other German cities. I just know a few guys who went to Berlin and they seem like they are doing pretty well according to their Facebook posts. That said, I didn't find Frankfurt and Cologne very memorable when I visited them. Munich I'd like to visit again, though.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:10 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
What did you want to talk about on this thread, OP? What are you looking for? A city with something to offer your type of crowd, or a city full of dull grunts? And why did you bring up Berlin? If you're looking for an interesting place to live in Germany, My vote is with Munich. Friendly people, scenery to write home about. Hard to go wrong there.
Good question. I should probably figure out what I'm looking for. Basically I like large cities but I feel priced out of places like NYC and London. I am in a smaller US city now (Minneapolis) and I find it miserable. It's doubly tough because everyone here seems to think it is so great. Berlin was on the radar because I know a few guys there, and I believe it would be easy for me to find a job there. I don't know anyone in Munich anymore, but I have been there in the past and thought it was a pretty good vibe at the time.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:22 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Well, maybe you and your friends were the cool people at the time.
Not really. We were all ages, but into the jazz and salsa scene. NYC really beat Seattle, where my friends were coming from, for being a happening place, lots of good entertainment.

I mentioned this back on page 1, but I vote for Munich. They've got tech jobs there, too.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:27 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,930,081 times
Berlin has far lower costs of living than Chicago, Minneapolis or other large Western European cities. That makes it special in addition to its atmosphere. I have always found the 'plenty of software jobs' argument deceptive, for example in Austin or Silicon Valley, better have a job lined up before moving anywhere.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:02 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
Now i know why many people say Berlin has alot of hipsters and is alot of fun...great video on the different restaurants around the city...nice lively nightlife!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d11pn7HT9HE

Old 03-31-2015, 08:55 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
So, OP, have you decided anything yet?

haha, the "practically in Poland" comment made me laugh. As if that's a bad thing. But Munich definitely is more centrally-located. Easy to vacation in Austria, Slovenia, Italy, just hop on a bus or train!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe