Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bordeaux vs Lyon vs Milan vs Venice vs Ljubljana vs Zagreb vs Bucharest
Bordeaux 7 29.17%
Lyon 11 45.83%
Milan 4 16.67%
Venice 4 16.67%
Ljubljana 5 20.83%
Zagreb 2 8.33%
Bucharest 2 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 08:01 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,285,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I vote for bucharest!!! Bucharest is the most underrated place in Europe

Milan is a hole on the ground with nothing to do other than look at fashionistas pass by and stare at the duomo

venice is RIDDEN with tourists which makes it a huge cliche

bordeaux (another french town with a big cathedral to look at yaawwn)

Lyon is a nice gastronomical city, its a nice small alternative to paris

Ljubljana is a beautiful little city, but it's too small to compete with these cities which are much bigger

Zagreb, is ok but Croatia's best place is not its capital city, it's its coastline!
Of the 8 cities listed, BUCHAREST does seem to be the most interesting to me. It's the largest capital city on the list, which would also include the smaller capital cities of Zagreb and Ljubljana. Bucharest seems like it would have the most going on overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 08:02 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,846,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Also, Belgrade is missing... it's one of my favourite cities in Europe...
belgrade is very cool, sofia too

Old 02-27-2015, 08:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,285,511 times
Quote:
belgrade is very cool, sofia too
What makes them cool?

Never been, but would like to visit both of them.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:13 AM

7,502 posts, read 6,319,294 times
Belgrade is like a central european city with southern and eastern (turkish) influences and it feels like it used to be the communist paradise, there is a big park right in the center, it really feels like a big city with plenty of people and things to do, the location is superb just above the danube river...

I was there in mid-summer and it was super hot, everyone started to go out in the evening, around 6 pm, and the streets were crowded even at midnight, but it never felt opressive or disorganized, actually quite the contrary...

Also: amazing food. Just a bit heavy in 35c weather, like most central european food.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:24 AM

65 posts, read 99,320 times
Belgrade skip my mind.. It s at 44,50..so it should be included in that list

As well as tourin.

And you all could sujest me other European cities at that latitude.

Then we could ask mods to modify this post ..to include in the pool all the missing cities

Old 02-27-2015, 08:32 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,763,181 times
Quote:
I vote for bucharest!!! Bucharest is the most underrated place in Europe

Milan is a hole on the ground with nothing to do other than look at fashionistas pass by and stare at the duomo

venice is RIDDEN with tourists which makes it a huge cliche

bordeaux (another french town with a big cathedral to look at yaawwn)

Lyon is a nice gastronomical city, its a nice small alternative to paris

Ljubljana is a beautiful little city, but it's too small to compete with these cities which are much bigger

Zagreb, is ok but Croatia's best place is not its capital city, it's its coastline!
what you are saying is Aquitaine is wonderful but Bordeaux is boring? Is Lyon and surrounding areas interesting to visit?

I agree that Milan is pretty sterile and Venice while nice and unique, feels like Disneyland, which makes the traveling experience a lot less interesting - too touristy.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,880,583 times
Ljubljana gets my vote, I like it better than the rest, pretty nice little city actually, I would not mind having an extended stay there.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:58 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,824,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybearlover View Post
The hinterland is more boring than Milan. Sleeping towns. Nothing else.

I was in busto arsizio.. And people..don't stay up late like us..at 9 o clock they are already in pjamas..this is true at least for the northern part of Lombardy.. Actually climate and solar irradiance is again the reason...
We go to social circles..to dine out even between the week..they seems to don't have many social aggregations
The hinterland is the most boring place in Italy, they are a cultural and social wasteland, i was talking about neighbourhoods just outside the city center, such as the Navigli, which are awesome at night, the area surrounding Corso Como and Brera. I've heard the area around Chinatown isn't that bad too, never been there though.

Tourists think that Milan is boring because they stick to the area directly surrounding the Duomo which admittedly isn't that fun.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:15 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,470,143 times
Lyon is cool. It's laid back but there's a lot of stuff to do. It's got a lot of tourists but doesn't seem touristy. I think of it of more like a cool place you go to hang out for a summer vs. a "must see" travel destination, though.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:21 PM

181 posts, read 232,571 times
Of the 7 cities mentioned, Bordeaux is probably the best to live, the one with the best quality of life, and best weather. It's also very near the ocean, so you can spend all your week-ends by the beach (which many Bordelais in fact do).

Bordeaux is also the city that currently booms the most out of the 7 mentioned. Its population is currently growing at +1.5% per year, and its job market is also growing a lot, with 25,000 jobs added in the Bordeaux metropolitan area between 2008 and 2013, despite the global crisis!

With the opening of the Tours-Bordeaux high speed line in 2017, Bordeaux will be also only 2 hours from central Paris by high-speed TGV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe