Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
they are momma's boys like italian men

you know, live with momma until he's 45.... get a serious job at 38, marry have kids at 50
I don't know of a single Spaniard that lives with their moms at even 35 years old. That is what is called, a stereotype. You know, similar to the stereotype that most Colombian men are drug dealers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:54 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
I'm in Spain currently for a vacation while looking for possible investments in Spain. Although the Spanish only make about 60% of what Americans make (according to the source I looked at), most everything is cheaper here. So lower health costs are significant, restaurants and bars are cheaper, with excellent public transportation you don't have to have a car and rents are cheaper. For the 24% that are unemployed, I doubt they are spending much when they go out.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:00 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm in Spain currently for a vacation while looking for possible investments in Spain. Although the Spanish only make about 60% of what Americans make (according to the source I looked at), most everything is cheaper here. So lower health costs are significant, restaurants and bars are cheaper, with excellent public transportation you don't have to have a car and rents are cheaper. For the 24% that are unemployed, I doubt they are spending much when they go out.
And those 24% unemployed, probably a good chunk are being paid under the table according to many sources, so it's not like 100% of the 24% are without any income.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:44 AM

33 posts, read 36,650 times
I don't think that Spain is cheaper than the US at all. Bars and restaurants cheaper....no way!!!
In the US, good healthy food in a "mamas and papas" restaurant is more expensive than in Spain, but franchises are much cheaper than in Spain. In other words, junk food, TV dinners and food eaten by poor people is cheaper in the US.

You never know what people make, since luckily there are many sources not under the radar of Mr. Montoro, the IRS minister that looks like Nosferatu.

Spain is the country with the highest growth in western Europe, last previsions,3 percent.

Unemployment is TECHNICAL. Too many doctors, too many lawyers..and the country needs people with trades, skilled programmers, etc.

The unemployment rate is not for real, I would place it at 10.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And those 24% unemployed, probably a good chunk are being paid under the table according to many sources, so it's not like 100% of the 24% are without any income.

With that unemployment, there would be another civil war!!! Now we are at Easter, and all hotels and rural houses are packed with Spanish tourists, the Spanish tourists returned after a couple of years out, just like the storks, and tourism is increasing.

How can anybody say that Spain is cheaper, when in the US you can buy a house for well under 500.000 euros? and gas...and foodstuffs.

Utilities are a laugh in the US..etc, etc, etc.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:02 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofamet View Post
I don't think that Spain is cheaper than the US at all. Bars and restaurants cheaper....no way!!!
In the US, good healthy food in a "mamas and papas" restaurant is more expensive than in Spain, but franchises are much cheaper than in Spain. In other words, junk food, TV dinners and food eaten by poor people is cheaper in the US.

You never know what people make, since luckily there are many sources not under the radar of Mr. Montoro, the IRS minister that looks like Nosferatu.

Spain is the country with the highest growth in western Europe, last previsions,3 percent.

Unemployment is TECHNICAL. Too many doctors, too many lawyers..and the country needs people with trades, skilled programmers, etc.

The unemployment rate is not for real, I would place it at 10.
Last night, I went to a nice restaurant here in Spain (Mirabella), had a nice dinner for 2 including a bottle of nice Spanish wine and counting all cost, it was 50 Euros or $54 with current currency conversion. Where I live in Washington state, that would be twice as much. The same has been true every meal here is much less expensive than where I live in Washington.

Burger King, McDonald, maybe that's more expensive, I never eat there in the USA or Spain. My spouse got a dinner at BK the other night including chicken sandwich, fries and a large beer and I guess it was about 8 Euros....have no idea what that cost in the USA but I know they don't sell beer at BK in USA.

As for the real unemployment rate, well it's probably well under that 24% number as many have said, many work under unofficial non taxed situations.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:35 AM

502 posts, read 655,419 times
some stats talk about 10-15% real unemployment.

also consider that social welfare in spain is very good compared to the US. and also consider that family network support is also very good compared to the US.

When I go to the USA there are 2 things that break my heart:

- the amount of homeless people
- the amount of elderly people (even in their 70s!) working in blue-collar jobs, like supermarkets or cleanning (I guess to get their medical insurance)

you don't get to see that in spain, even with a higher unemployment rate.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Last night, I went to a nice restaurant here in Spain (Mirabella), had a nice dinner for 2 including a bottle of nice Spanish wine and counting all cost, it was 50 Euros or $54 with current currency conversion. Where I live in Washington state, that would be twice as much. The same has been true every meal here is much less expensive than where I live in Washington.

Burger King, McDonald, maybe that's more expensive, I never eat there in the USA or Spain. My spouse got a dinner at BK the other night including chicken sandwich, fries and a large beer and I guess it was about 8 Euros....have no idea what that cost in the USA but I know they don't sell beer at BK in USA.

As for the real unemployment rate, well it's probably well under that 24% number as many have said, many work under unofficial non taxed situations.

I guess that you meant to say Marbella, 50 is cheap and I guess you did not ask any our of the ordinary. You are mentioning the state of Washington, but the US is a very large country.

A nice restaurant in Marbella could run for 200 euros to 1000 euros or more. Not a "menu" or tapas bar, but a somewhat nice restaurant.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:52 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,293,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancrace Mortimerius View Post
Fried foods? Only in the south, Andalusia. The south "fries", the center "bakes" and the north "cooks".
Food in Spain is way healtheir than in northern European countries or "butter" countries.
that's another stereotype ha ha

I'm a French living in (northern) Italy and several time people have looked at me in disgust when i mentioned I liked butter. Then I tasted Italian Butter and realized it had no taste

The best thing in the world is spreading butter on bread, but in Italy it is impossible because in the north the bread is pratically inedible, and in the south, where bread is really good, butter is unheard of.

That said, I find fried food to be almost worse in terms of health and fat than (good) butter, actually in southern italy I found that many people were pretty fat, and the food is considered to be of southern Spanish influence.

So yeah, oil is great, but don't overfry it or you will get even fatter than in butter-y Bretagne !

Old 06-05-2015, 10:17 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Do more Spaniards eat their meals at tapas bars than restaurants? Tapas bars are less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe