Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2015, 09:50 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,567,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Using concrete facts, we can come to the conclusion that life in Western Europe is objectively better than in Eastern Europe. That's all there is to it.
Conclusion is a personal decision, not something you take for others.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with Western superiority.
Then stop coming with things everybody knows, like life expectancy, and let the discussion follow its course or come with things others don't know.

Quote:
This talk of 'cultural richness' is not subjective, and not relevant to quality of life.
The more educated a person, the more interested is for the cultural aspects of a society.

Quote:
Rural Romanian life is not 'heaven' for anyone.
For hikers and other kind of tourists certainly is. For people living there could be, if they change their mind. Myself, I lived around an year in rural-like conditions, working at agricultural crops, taking care of farm animals etc. It was heaven.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:37 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
US and Western Europe are relatively equal in respect to what they offer. One (US) is bad because of lifeless natural environment (with all those visually splendid landscapes) and culture, the other because of overpopulation and pollution (and in the case of NE because of cold). Eastern Europe on the other hand, is considerably better than both US and WE: healthy natural environment and food, friendlier people.
"Lifeless natural environment"? Tell that to my friend, who has mountain lions strolling through his property, as if they owned the place.

Bears, mountain lions, lynx, deer of various sorts, wolves here and there, buffalo, not to mention birds: herons, egrets, hawks, owls, a few condors in California, turkeys, various types of eagles, hares, possums, raccoons, etc.

Old 03-20-2015, 11:38 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,617,072 times
"The more educated a person, the more interested is for the cultural aspects of a society."

So it stands to reason that Western Europeans will be more interested in cultural aspects of society - and they probably value their own culture more highly than Eastern Europe's. Not to imply that Eastern European culture is lesser, but certainly not better either.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:05 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,567,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Lifeless natural environment"? Tell that to my friend, who has mountain lions strolling through his property, as if they owned the place.

Bears, mountain lions, lynx, deer of various sorts, wolves here and there, buffalo, not to mention birds: herons, egrets, hawks, owls, a few condors in California, turkeys, various types of eagles, hares, possums, raccoons, etc.
I was refering to the quality of air, soil, water, vegetation. Compare it with the ones from Russia, because Romania is not much different in this respect. Is planet's chernozem belt, the most fertile soil which has as consequences the best quality of water, vegetation and air. In Romania even more because of the mountainous relief, Danubian alluvia and warmer climate.

Quote:
"The more educated a person, the more interested is for the cultural aspects of a society."

So it stands to reason that Western Europeans will be more interested in cultural aspects of society - and they probably value their own culture more highly than Eastern Europe's. Not to imply that Eastern European culture is lesser, but certainly not better either.
Not sure what are trying to say (not clear phrase). Idea is: in areas of EE, particularly in Romania, the folk and medieval culture have been formed on the ground of an extremely diverse cultural heritage, started from Neolithic, because of ther geographic position at the crossroads of Asian - Europe and north - south routes of migration and because of the proximity of many ancient civilisations. And also, because of late and only partial urbanisation, traditional lifestyle survives to these days, as well as ancestral customs etc.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:32 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,395,517 times
Statistics don't tell us the full picture its possible that Rural Romania is heaven to some people to live in its not based on facts but opinions.

I wouldn't mind living in Rural Romania living off the land not worrying about stupid things that disconnect us from our Human-ness.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:53 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,891,950 times
Quote:
Balkans are the oldest part of Europe. Civilisation appeared in neolithic in Near East and Balkans were the first colonised by Anatolian agricultors. Some of the greatest human discoveries didn't occur in Near East but in Balkans and Romania, and from here were spread into Near East: the proto-writing, the metallurgy and the wheel. Read about Vinca - Turdas and Cucuteni on Wikipedia.

Older culture means more valuable and interesting cultural heritage.

Also, Eastern Europe, Balkans especially, have always been the most culturally diverse part of Europe, having seen the migration and and settlement and suffering the influences of endless number of nations and cultures through their history. From middle age to modern times, no other country in Europe had the ethnic and religious diversity of Romania. Because of this, the arhitecture and folk culture in various zones in Romania have the higher diversity in Europe.
In all honesty, you are saying that the average Romanian feel in his everyday life the discovery of metallurgy and proto-writing?
Are you seriously saying that Romania, an interesting country, has more history/culture/heritage (call it as you prefer) than, let's say, Italy or France?
I mean, sure Romania has an interesting history and it saw countless invasions and settlements, but to say that Romania has more history than Italy is like saying that Italians are more organised and efficient than Germans.
Within 50 km from my hometown I have: Roman ruins, 5 medieval castles, prehistoric huts, dinosaurs' footprints, WWI museums and cemeteries, war museum, modern art museum, science museum, WWI fortresses, WWI trenches, medieval houses, XII century church, Venetian historic centre.
All of this for a marginal valley in Northern Italy which counts less than 150,000 inhabitants.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:21 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,939,072 times
Quote:
Natural enviroment and cultural heritage is more important (healthier for body and mind) than purchasing power.
You come without any argument or explanation about your claim which makes discussion with you impossible and classify you as a troll.

You initially posted a photo which you deleted:
The US has regions like this too, like Mississippi. I doubt poor people there are better off than in Romania. It is kindoff ironic that communism and capitalism both resulted in largely the same end effect.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,323,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato&onion View Post
In Europe, kids learn several languages whereas in America it's only English. People seem more educated and worldly. You can take a train for an hour and you land in another country. There is so much beauty and amazing food and culture in Europe. It is less wasteful, public transportation is all over, healthcare is free. I feel like America has zero appeal when compared to Europe. These are just a few....I currently live in America and sometimes I think about relocating, but I don't want to have to learn a language at my age (27), plus immigration would be another hoop. I immigrated when I was 9 years old from the middle east. As a woman I am glad to be in America versus where I came from, but I can't help but wonder how much better life would be if I was living in Europe.
Maybe your view stems from the fact that you live in Michigan so perhaps your world view is not as complete as it could be. I love the state of Michigan, I have family there and have spent many summers immersed in the culture there but I would not say that it is representative of a well rounded perspective on the U.S. in its entirety...hardly. It is just a small slice of American culture, a very small sliver from my point of view.

There are excellent aspects of living in Europe as well as the U.S., "pick your poison" as they say.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:55 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,359,612 times
Quote:
So, despite people in Western Europe living longer, being healthier, having access to better jobs, having more opportunities, having better educational & healthcare facilities, earning more, using better infrastructure, electing individuals into governments that aren't corrupt, unorganised or ineffective and, perhaps most importantly, having higher levels of self-reported happiness
These are all your subjective opinions, not objective facts.

How do Europeans "have more opportunities"? The economy is much worse, pay is much lower, taxes are much higher.

How do Europeans "have better educational & healthcare facilities"? I think it's generally agreed that the U.S., by a longshot, has the best universities and hospitals on earth.

How does Europe have "governments that aren't corrupt"? What does this even mean? You think there's no corruption in Europe? If anything, it's probably worse in countries like Spain and Italy.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:03 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,145,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
These are all your subjective opinions, not objective facts.

How do Europeans "have more opportunities"? The economy is much worse, pay is much lower, taxes are much higher.

How do Europeans "have better educational & healthcare facilities"? I think it's generally agreed that the U.S., by a longshot, has the best universities and hospitals on earth.

How does Europe have "governments that aren't corrupt"? What does this even mean? You think there's no corruption in Europe? If anything, it's probably worse in countries like Spain and Italy.
that was about Western vs Eastern Europe and it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe