Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 04:28 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
We get our clothes from Asia. Our coffee and tropical fruits from Brazil. Oranges from Israel.
And massive amounts of Vegetables (I bought Green beans that were grown in Kenya) and Fruits from Africa not to mention minerals used in our gadgets.

Quote:

And what proper pay? €10 an hour? Well, if we give them $1 a day, they get food for the day and live for the next. If you think we can apply Western labour standards in Africa, the most corrupted continent on Earth, you're delusional.
So Africans are not worthy enough of being paid a decent wage? Who knows what they would do with the extra money. Maybe be able to afford to go into town to buy food instead of struggling.

But of course it seems they don't matter so yeah let them suffer they're use to it.

Quote:
Africa has some rare materials we can use, otherwise we have no need of that continent. It's Black Panther stuff to think that Europe keeps raping Africa and keeping the black man down. It is not so. It's the racist black man who commits genocide and rapes his own country, his neighbours and continent. Hutu or Tutsi?

And believe me, I'm quite familiar with African history. It is you who is young and ignorant.
Its not Black Panther stuff you are in no position to talk about this stuff anyway nothing about Finland is connected to Africa - you feel no connection you may of learnt the history in University (which I find odd because you say the most ridiculous things about the continent) but that doesn't mean you are an expert.

If Multinational companies (which are EUROPEAN companies btw) using slave labour, not paying any taxes, giving employers minimal pay, poor working conditions etc (research about the Chocolate industry its awful) isn't ''raping a continent'' I don't know what is. Not to mention this out of date perception / one sided view of Africa the West puts across..

http://www.foodispower.org/slavery-chocolate/

How about Colonial Tax?
http://www.worldbulletin.net/haber/1...rce-for-africa

Quote:
And believe me, I'm quite familiar with African history. It is you who is young and ignorant.
You are clearly not because you wouldn't of said Africa was a mess before Europeans came along its the typical ''without Europeans [insert assumption here]'' mentality.

Yeah maybe I am a bit ignorant but you are too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 04:33 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Here's a true story from Uganda. A couple of years ago the Finnish Government donated some 20 agricultural tractors to a few tribes to enhance their agricultural output. Well, what happened? The tribal leaders with friends used the tractors for transport (naturally only men allowed), so they could visit neighbouring villages to gossip and drink booze. Meanwhile, the women worked the fields by hand just like they did before the tractors. There ended our aid to those tribes.

And this is not something I just made up.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:34 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,261,452 times
Ariete why do you always say "some" when describing numbers lol? You just say the number and leave it there.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:39 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
They need a government that suits them the first step is to reorganise Africa, they need to do that themselves.

Southeast Nigeria wanted to separate from the rest of the Country in the 60s I think who knows how that would of went out if it was successful.

What he's saying is fact the world is interconnected where do you think you get your clothes and exotic fruits from? Tell Western Multinational companies to give proper pay to the farmers planting our food or to the factory workers who are practically slaves. This isn't just Africa but Asia and Latin America too.

When Europeans first came to Africa they traded with big powerful empires but no you are the one that thinks Black people were just swinging from tree to tree.

Stop spouting ignorance and get over your assumptions of Africa and African history.
Africa had most certainly powerful empires throughout its history (since Ancient Egypt), but this doesn't deny that overall the progress of science, culture and civilisation was much behind Europe in all means.
If one compares the amount of inventions done by Europeans, well there's no comparison with no other continent (or if you prefer, you can consider the US as something different than an offshoot of Europe).
Does this mean I'm a racist white? No, I don't reckon any Black/Asian/Amerindian/x ethnicity inferior to me, I'm merely stating historical facts.
As there's no mystery that human civilisation was born in Africa or that Africa had large empires (Songhai, Dahomey, Mali etc), this doesn't deny that when Imperialism began (second half of XIX century), Africa was by far much poorer than Europe and far less advanced.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Here's a true story from Uganda. A couple of years ago the Finnish Government donated some 20 agricultural tractors to a few tribes to enhance their agricultural output. Well, what happened? The tribal leaders with friends used the tractors for transport (naturally only men allowed), so they could visit neighbouring villages to gossip and drink booze. Meanwhile, the women worked the fields by hand just like they did before the tractors. There ended our aid to those tribes.

And this is not something I just made up.
Do you think that makes what I said meaningless? No it doesn't..

I'm not denying that Africans are corrupted and I have never and never will donate money because I believe the money goes straight to the wrong hands.

It seems when I talk about who's to ''blame'' you take it personally. Why? Your Country or people wasn't even a part of African colonisation.

The story with the tribes are stupid but equally there are many stories where the local people use the resources they get.

But they don't need charity they just need systems to change.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Africa had most certainly powerful empires throughout its history (since Ancient Egypt), but this doesn't deny that overall the progress of science, culture and civilisation was much behind Europe in all means.
If one compares the amount of inventions done by Europeans, well there's no comparison with no other continent (or if you prefer, you can consider the US as something different than an offshoot of Europe).
Does this mean I'm a racist white? No, I don't reckon any Black/Asian/Amerindian/x ethnicity inferior to me, I'm merely stating historical facts.
As there's no mystery that human civilisation was born in Africa or that Africa had large empires (Songhai, Dahomey, Mali etc), this doesn't deny that when Imperialism began (second half of XIX century), Africa was by far much poorer than Europe and far less advanced.
Of course it will seem that only Europeans invented ''stuff''

Have you heard of racism? Many things we use today are not European inventions historically Europeans would take credit or ''steal'' cultural practices from the indigenous populations. Because purely of racism and was a effective way to keep old ideas alive.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
So Africans are not worthy enough of being paid a decent wage? Who knows what they would do with the extra money. Maybe be able to afford to go into town to buy food instead of struggling.

But of course it seems they don't matter so yeah let them suffer they're use to it.

If Multinational companies (which are EUROPEAN companies btw) using slave labour, not paying any taxes, giving employers minimal pay, poor working conditions etc (research about the Chocolate industry its awful) isn't ''raping a continent'' I don't know what is. Not to mention this out of date perception / one sided view of Africa the West puts across..

Of course they are worthy... some day. We cannot just induce Western standard at the blink of an eye. It might be considered underaged child labour here, but there, what if the child wouldn't get the $2 a day? He/she would get $0, and die. As cynical it might sound, in the former the person still has an income. And that can be the dividing line between life and death.

Multinational companies (some of them) take full advantage of the unfair situation, but others don't. They pay their taxes and work ethically. We never hear their story, as it doesn't fit with the stereotype. And if they claim corruption, the dictator will ban that company.

I have no perception. I'm not brainwashed of Western media or a single source of information. History is my passion, and I will always look objectively on it.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Of course they are worthy... some day. We cannot just induce Western standard at the blink of an eye. It might be considered underaged child labour here, but there, what if the child wouldn't get the $2 a day? He/she would get $0, and die. As cynical it might sound, in the former the person still has an income. And that can be the dividing line between life and death.

Multinational companies (some of them) take full advantage of the unfair situation, but others don't. They pay their taxes and work ethically. We never hear their story, as it doesn't fit with the stereotype. And if they claim corruption, the dictator will ban that company.

I have no perception. I'm not brainwashed of Western media or a single source of information. History is my passion, and I will always look objectively on it.
I watched a documentary where Child Traffic workers were stealing Children from their homes and transporting them to Coastal Ghana to work on farms for Nestle - it was an undercover documentary and the local authorities were trying to tackle the situation. So child labour doesn't seem to be acceptable there at al, the Children looked scared and homesick not willing to work for less than a dollar. The Child Traffic workers were being paid by the Chocolate companies to do the dirty work.

These companies make massive profit yet they have to treat whole Countries with such disrespect? The Multinational companies make situations worse they add to the problem when they could help up-lift the working underclass no wonder people emigrant! I would!

Old 04-23-2015, 05:03 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,446 times
Quote:
Of course it will seem that only Europeans invented ''stuff''

Have you heard of racism? Many things we use today are not European inventions historically Europeans would take credit or ''steal'' cultural practices from the indigenous populations. Because purely of racism and was a effective way to keep old ideas alive.
I already asked you to post any "stolen" invention, one, and you dodged the question. Would you like to try again? Can you provide the name of one invention today attributed to Europeans and which was stolen?
Out of 118 elements of the periodic table, 12 were known since antiquity, out of the remaining 106, 85 were discovered by Europeans (and the remaining 21 by Americans).
This is just one example.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I watched a documentary where Child Traffic workers were stealing Children from their homes and transporting them to Coastal Ghana to work on farms for Nestle - it was an undercover documentary and the local authorities were trying to tackle the situation.
Nestlé operates unethically in Europe too. It's a corrupt company to the root. Not all companies are Nestlé, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe