Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:17 PM

17 posts, read 106,289 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I would like to learn what Pharmacy is like in Germany.
I would like to know in what cities pharmacists can have an easier time finding jobs, and
whether pharmacists can work in places other than drug stores (such as, hospitals, nursing homes or clinic),
pharmacists' typical salaries (whether it's enough to afford a living in a big city like Berlin or Munich),
and for a person with a PharmD degree in the US who wants to work in Germany, what barriers will I need to overcome (besides language), and whether I will have to re-learn some of the stuff that I learned in Pharmacy school,
etc. etc.
I'd like to know everything about it
Thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 06:08 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shohane View Post
Hi everyone,

I would like to learn what Pharmacy is like in Germany.
I would like to know in what cities pharmacists can have an easier time finding jobs, and
whether pharmacists can work in places other than drug stores (such as, hospitals, nursing homes or clinic),
pharmacists' typical salaries (whether it's enough to afford a living in a big city like Berlin or Munich),
and for a person with a PharmD degree in the US who wants to work in Germany, what barriers will I need to overcome (besides language), and whether I will have to re-learn some of the stuff that I learned in Pharmacy school,
etc. etc.
I'd like to know everything about it
Thanks for your time
A pharmacist normally owns the pharmacy himself/herself. But often times the pharmacist will hire another pharmacist, because there has to be a pharmacist on site at all times. Pharmacists work in a pharmacy. They are not nurses. A nurse needs a different education.

They can probably tell you what you would need to do in order to work as a pharmacist in Germany:

About ABDA - ABDA - Bundesvereinigung Deutscher Apothekerverbände

If you are hired to work in a pharmacy, you earn 3.174,00 Euro before taxes in the first year. Up to 3.800,00 after the 11th year. Pharmacy in a hospital between 3,500 - 7,000 and in the pharma industry 7-15.

Apotheker Gehalt - Was verdient ein Apotheker?

Old 04-23-2015, 07:22 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,616 times
I would imagine there's a German certification process....and strong working knowledge of German is mandatory...and learn German words for the drugs. Most Pharmacists in the USA make +$10,000/month. A family member is one in the USA....not a bad gig making $100k/year at age 24.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
If you are hired to work in a pharmacy, you earn 3.174,00 Euro before taxes in the first year. Up to 3.800,00 after the 11th year. Pharmacy in a hospital between 3,500 - 7,000 and in the pharma industry 7-15.
Thanks for your replies.

I am concerned about the pharmacy setting wage range: after tax, it'd probably be 20.000 euro per year. Can a person live on this salary in a big city like Berlin or Munich?

Old 04-25-2015, 05:25 PM

111 posts, read 133,462 times
Quote:
Thanks for your replies.

I am concerned about the pharmacy setting wage range: after tax, it'd probably be 20.000 euro per year. Can a person live on this salary in a big city like Berlin or Munich?
The 3,174 Euro, Glucorious mentioned, would lead to an annual net salary of about 25,000 Euro. Of course you can live with this salary in Berlin or Munich.

I have never thought that an employed pharmacist earns so little. Most pharmacist (Apotheker) are probably self-employed, they own normally the pharmacy (Apotheke). Then they are normally very rich.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:58 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westphal View Post

I have never thought that an employed pharmacist earns so little. Most pharmacist (Apotheker) are probably self-employed, they own normally the pharmacy (Apotheke). Then they are normally very rich.
Well, since most pharmacies are pretty small (maybe 4, 5 employees), it doesn't surprise me. They probably earn more when doing things like night/weekend shifts. Most pharmacists are indeed self-employed and make much more than EUR 3100 / month. Without the respective state license the OP can't work in a German pharmacy anyway so he'd probably have to go the industry route which pays much better.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:48 AM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
You have similar differences as in the US. What are yo looking at - pharmacist or pharmacy technician?
Ausbildung und Approbation - ABDA - Bundesvereinigung Deutscher Apothekerverbände

Old 04-29-2015, 12:44 PM

Hi, thanks for all the replies.

I am a pharmacist fresh out of school, not a technician.

Quote:
Most pharmacist (Apotheker) are probably self-employed, they own normally the pharmacy (Apotheke). Then they are normally very rich.
Interesting. How much experience/qualifications do I need to be self-employed in Germany?
Considering that each pharmacy employs 4-5 pharmacists (?), there would be 1 owner who earns a lot, and the 4-5 employees earn the wage that Glucorious mentioned?

Quote:
Without the respective state license the OP can't work in a German pharmacy anyway so he'd probably have to go the industry route which pays much better.
What is required to earn the respective state license?

Old 04-29-2015, 12:57 PM

I know this is a "Germany" thread, but I don't want to open another thread, so I'll ask here: Could someone please inform me on pharmacy career in the UK as well? Can pharmacists in the UK open their own pharmacies like in Germany? All I've known so far is that I'll have to take a 1-year training class in the UK to be certified (which costs 10,000 pounds).

Old 04-30-2015, 01:56 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,385 times
Quote:

What is required to earn the respective state license?
Not sure how exactly it works - Pharmacists in Germany take several state examinations to earn their license. There is a website from the German government that says this (Approbation=License):

Recognition in Germany - Homepage

Quote:
Procedure for EU qualifications that cannot be recognized automatically and for qualifications from non-EU/EEA states

• The competent authorities assess whether the qualifications which you have gained abroad are equivalent to the German qualifications.
  • Your qualifications are recognized as being equivalent if there are no substantial differences between your foreign qualifications and the German qualifications.
  • Apart from training, the competent authorities also consider the professional experience that you have gained at home or abroad. Significant differences in qualifications can only be offset by relevant professional experience.
WHAT RESULTS ARE POSSIBLE?
  • You will be granted an Approbation if the authorities establish the equivalence of your qualifications and you satisfy the other requirements for gaining an Approbation (inter alia adequate command of German).
  • Should there be significant differences between your qualifications and the German qualifications, you will have the opportunity to take a test to prove the equivalence of your knowledge.
  • You will be granted an Approbation if you pass this test.
Further information can be obtained from the competent authorities.
WILL THE RESULTS OF PROCEDURES UNDER THE OLD LAW BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT?
  • If the equivalence of your professional qualifications has already been determined by a previous procedure to grant or extend a permit to work as a pharmacist, these findings are also to be taken into account when applying for an Approbation.
  • You do not have to repeat a test which you have already passed. Applicants who have failed a test in a procedure to grant a permit to work as a pharmacist may nevertheless apply for an Approbation. Applicants may also resit the test.
WHAT DOCUMENTS DO I NEED WHEN SUBMITTING AN APPLICATION?
  • Proof of identity (identity card or passport)
  • Brief CV
  • Certified copy of qualifications and if necessary further certificates of competence.
  • Tabular overview of training courses and of prior work experience, if appropriate
  • Certificates regarding relevant professional experience
  • Certificate stating entitlement to work as a pharmacist in your country of origin and documents proving that you intend to practice the profession in Germany (does not apply to qualifications gained in the EU/EEA/Switzerland).
  • Medical certificate confirming physical fitness to practice the profession (issued within the last month)
  • Official certificate of good conduct (issued within the last month)
  • Statement of whether criminal proceedings are pending.
Should these documents not be in German, they must be accompanied by certified translations. You may present simple copies of your documents in cases where certified copies are not specifically required.
The competent authorities will provide further details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe