Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 07:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Wife and I were in Germany on our honeymoon. The locals were great, but we def noticed the Asian tourists to be literally pushy. We were buying tickets to a museum and when it was our turn to walk to the cashier, an Asian girl started shoving us. Had it been a dude I would have punched him.
OMG the pushing and crowding in line - it drives me crazy in some European countries. When we visited the salt mines in Austria, there was a couple behind me who pushed me and muttered insults (I know what "stupidische Amerikaner" means) nearly the entire time - mainly the GUY pushing me (a woman) while the woman laughed and rolled her eyes. It was a crowded venue anyway, and no, I wasn't going to push and crowd the people in front of me more than absolutely necessary, but this guy made it very clear that he expected me to. The crazy thing was - it's not like we'd get anywhere any faster by doing that. We were on a tour for Pete's sake. We were all going to get to see exactly the same stuff as we walked through in a line. So for the life of me I couldn't figure out why he felt the need to push me and insult me the entire time.

I didn't tell my husband till we got into the car after the tour because I didn't want him knocking the guy out and being arrested or something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 08:00 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Calm down, that's how the world works outside of the Midwest or South. I would love to see you be a tough guy if it was an African-American man

No I'm pretty sure anywhere in the US thats asking for an ass beating. What does being African have anything to do with it? A Holes come in all colors.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:06 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,531,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
As someone who has been to Britain many, many times, you guys absolutely do brag about being the best in the world at music, television, military, beer, etc..... Just because you don't do it does mean your fellow countrymen don't.

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjZ8rdUfhs4

If we did something like this you would be puking in disgust.
whats wrong with being proud of your country even if ' we're not the best ' at something I'll still respectively stick up for the UK as I'm sure as an American YOU would do the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Yeah that's England and English people. English people like to think that they are high and mighty, the reality is that they are a tiny island country with an ego problem.

There is alot of snobbery in England but the English are not loud like the Americans. You will not go on a train and only hear English people talking because no one is super loud.
High and mighty, ego and snobbery?

That's quite funny actually they are the words I'd describe you mate!!!

On a side note I'm sure there's more Micks living in England than the English living in Ireland

Old 09-12-2015, 08:43 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
whats wrong with being proud of your country even if ' we're not the best ' at something I'll still respectively stick up for the UK as I'm sure as an American YOU would do the same?

High and mighty, ego and snobbery?

That's quite funny actually they are the words I'd describe you mate!!!

On a side note I'm sure there's more Micks living in England than the English living in Ireland
Nothing wrong at all with being proud of your Nation. I hate in the US where so many seem to turn their back on it.

I saw that top gear episode, it was great. I love how they put a lawn mower with those cars! Why is there a Nissan with them though? Factory in the UK?

I wish the US could get the Defender!

Old 09-12-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Nothing wrong at all with being proud of your Nation. I hate in the US where so many seem to turn their back on it.

I saw that top gear episode, it was great. I love how they put a lawn mower with those cars! Why is there a Nissan with them though? Factory in the UK?

I wish the US could get the Defender!
Quite surprised by that sam my impression of the American public has always been that they are patriotic and bleed Stars and Stripes!! Which is one of the Main reasons I love them!

I'm not into cars but Google top gear hover van they drive it on a canal I can't stand clarkson but it's hilarious mate watch it

Old 09-12-2015, 10:15 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,842,830 times
Quote:
I agree. Despite their arrogance/loud most would be nice and helpful.
But be warned, they have no modesty and are not scared to brag.
Yeah, I know. And this thing is called "american exceptionalism".

Old 09-12-2015, 10:26 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times
Quote:
No I'm pretty sure anywhere in the US thats asking for an ass beating. What does being African have anything to do with it? A Holes come in all colors.
Yep where I live intentionally touching or pushing a stranger is asking for an ass beating as well. In fact when I'm waiting in line I expect my personal space of 2-3 feet any closer and my adrenaline rises also I expect an apology if someone brushes up against me, if not I consider that person either ignorant or uncultured. I think we are conditioned to sense that an intrusion into our personal space can be considered a direct threat to personal safety. Rarely have I had someone violate my personal space in California and a hard stare is almost always an effective deterrent for a repeat offense.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
No Americans really are loud. They don't care to have manners, if you are on the metro you can hear everything about their life and what is going on with them.
Go to Washington or New York and you will see this everywhere.
This is because they feel themselves so relaxed and uninhibited that they don't bother to have manners.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiqum View Post
This is because they feel themselves so relaxed and uninhibited that they don't bother to have manners.
Thought their " loudness" came from confidence myself, I've always found the Americans had the best manners that I've come across

Old 09-12-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Yep where I live intentionally touching or pushing a stranger is asking for an ass beating as well. In fact when I'm waiting in line I expect my personal space of 2-3 feet any closer and my adrenaline rises also I expect an apology if someone brushes up against me, if not I consider that person either ignorant or uncultured.
It might be just a mindset thing. For instance, it's not a big deal to be 2 feet closer to another person or even to touch them in India or China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe