Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 05:58 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
When I think about Lyon, just between my parents' home in the suburbs and the center there are at least 4 or 5 points where there are autovelox, in just about 15 kilometres. Several times I got caught for driving at 96 km/h (usually because I stopped paying attention for a minute and/or tried to overtake some car) and had to pay 90 euros and lose one point on my license. Seeing how fast people drive here, I really believe nobody ever cares or that it does not happen.

Turin did not strike me as particularly chaotic when I went there, actually I thought it was pretty pleasant, but i drove once in Palermo and it was pretty insane driving overall. Most cars were slightly damaged indeed.
Turin is probably ones of the least chaotic Italian cities, i go there two times a year as i have relatives and outside of rush hour the traffic really isn't at the same level as what you experience here in Southern Italy even in a city/town of my size (60k).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Do I sound like a Lega Nord activist? Yeah I have the bad habit of forgetting that it is a political term. Doesn't mean much anyway as, as I once saw at a Lega Nord stand in Como, they include places like Tuscany and Marche.
It really depends, Padania is a made up political term to describe the region surrounding the Po, it includes all the regions of Northern Italy (Emilia-Romagna, Friuli, Veneto, Trentino, Piedmont, Lombardy and Liguria)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Pianura Padana is a geografic term. Here people use it pretty neutrally. Padania... not sure.

I thought Bologna was already too south / leftist / liberal to be included in the Lega Nord program, but we have a few Forza Nuova activists here though. A very small minority.

Also, let's not forget that Mussolini was from Romagna. I have yet to visit his birthplace.

I believe the Po is the unofficial border. Was once in Brescello (Don Camillo's place) and there was a Lega Nord office.
Until the last few years, Lega Nord has never been a far-right wing party, their objective was the independence of the North but now everything changed, they are getting closer and closer to being the Italian version of the Front National. Bologna and all of Emilia Romagna and Tuscany have always been left-wing strongholds ever since the end of World War II

Last edited by improb; 07-18-2015 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 07:11 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hepaticW View Post
Worse, Italian and French and people from Madrid.
Funniest, Germans in a large Mercedes, they drive the car as it was a panzer.
English are careful, they are scared, I would also be scared to drive in England.
Madrid is a nigthmare every day from 7:AM to 7:PM because of it is a huge city; most of them still respect all the rules, but maybe they are a bit agressive in rush hours.

I've never been in United Kingdom, but I was in northern France four years ago for holidays. One day, while driving near Calais, more than 10 cars with UK plates entered the motorway all together, so I guess they came from the Eurotunnel. Anyway, I found them just safe drivers.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:54 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
UK and Ireland.

Mainland Europe has terrible drivers. Too aggressive. Don't get me started about Italy.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:47 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
UK and Ireland.

Mainland Europe has terrible drivers. Too aggressive. Don't get me started about Italy.
Considering that on Friday evening almost the whole country is drunk, that's not a good pass for drivers.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:09 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
Quote:
UK and Ireland.

Heck no! Most drivers from mainland Europe are as good as British ones, except those from the southeastern quadrant of Europe.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:24 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,260,330 times
And you know this how?

You just said you didn't go to the UK.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:42 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
Quote:
And you know this how?

I actually lived in the UK for a while.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
And you know this how?

I'm used to see so many cars with United Kingdom plates driving around Spain every summer, near Calais during my holiday trip in 2011 also, so I just find them good drivers as some others drivers from the mainland Europe are.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:28 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
The Irish are excellent drivers--won't try to cut you off, always let you in when merging. A sort of "we're all in this together" sort of attitude.

I won't speak for the region around Dublin however--I've heard they can be more aggressive there. Of course, the drivers test is notoriously difficult and most people take years to pass. So many full grown adults still have the "L" (learners sticker) attached to their windshield!

no way are the irish the best drivers , the country is very sparsely populated so wreckless driving in rural areas is fairly common , our fatality rate is falling but its still considerably behind the uk or Germany etc

I lived and worked in new Zealand a number of years ago , its even more sparsely populated and the fatality rate is higher again than in Ireland

Old 07-19-2015, 08:30 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Best: Dutch, Germans and Scandinavians

Worst: Ukrainians, Romanians and Balkans
a lot of poles , Latvians and Lithuanians moved to Ireland this past fifteen years , the Latvians and Lithuanians have a culture of drink driving , they are disproportionately represented in court when it comes to driving offenses , Romanians are less featured in this regard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe