Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 06:16 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,567,030 times

Advertisements

And plus the majority of them ( Syrians) are not Sunnis, right?
Allawi, Shiites then?
So probably the whole situation is more like with Iran I would guess, when it comes to Islam...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 06:23 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And plus the majority of them ( Syrians) are not Sunnis, right?
Allawi, Shiites then?
So probably the whole situation is more like with Iran I would guess, when it comes to Islam...
A vast majority are Sunni, the Allawi make up about 11% of the population and the rest of the minorities make up about 8% of the population.

The sad part is that between the two Sunni and Shiites, the Shiites have historically been way less crazy then then the Sunnis. ISIS is Sunni, as is a vast majority of Islamic extremists.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
A vast majority are Sunni, the Allawi make up about 11% of the population and the rest of the minorities make up about 8% of the population.

The sad part is that between the two Sunni and Shiites, the Shiites have historically been way less crazy then then the Sunnis. ISIS is Sunni, as is a vast majority of Islamic extremists.
I remember. "The conquered accepted the Shia version of Islam, while the conquerors were Sunnies."
That's why I recalled Iran in this case. A country whose culture ( and future) was clearly destroyed by Islam.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:36 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,904,108 times
Quote:

The current flow into Europe I wonder if they represent a diversity of religions and ethnicities.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I remember. "The conquered accepted the Shia version of Islam, while the conquerors were Sunnies."
That's why I recalled Iran in this case. A country whose culture ( and future) was clearly destroyed by Islam.
If there is going to be a major cultural revolution in the Middle East. One that pushes forward the ideas of liberty, democracy and education. Its going to be in Iran. The people there are really not into the whole Islamic thing. My experience with Iranians is that they like to make money, party, live the good life. Waging jihad and blowing yourself up is not something they are into.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The current flow into Europe I wonder if they represent a diversity of religions and ethnicities.
My guess would be no. I would say 98% of them are Sunnis.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:42 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,680 times
OP I don't want to be mean but I have to call you out. Refugees escape war, not because of famine and starvation. So for you to highlight them being "muscular" is funny and ridiculous.

There is a war going on in their country, where on one side you have a vicious dictator, and a bloodthirsty ISIS. Rfugees can be wealthy, muscular or what not, Syria is in a civil war.

If you can't understand that, then I can't help you. By the way we should take them in, as well as countries in the region, Europe, and elsewhere.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
If there is going to be a major cultural revolution in the Middle East. One that pushes forward the ideas of liberty, democracy and education. Its going to be in Iran. The people there are really not into the whole Islamic thing. My experience with Iranians is that they like to make money, party, live the good life. Waging jihad and blowing yourself up is not something they are into.
I am aware of all that.
We are yet to see a single suicide bomber of Iranian descent.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:39 AM

922 posts, read 807,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
What? Syria has always been a third world country. Household income isn't even half that of Mexico, and Mexico is third-world.

And what does "Irish leaving for the U.S. during the Great Famine" have do with the current situation? Nothing. No one said that immigration should be banned world-wide.
Mexico is not third world, it is a developing country.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:46 AM

922 posts, read 807,303 times
Quote:
True, except in Syria's case it is because of Islam.

Syrians do quite well in math and science when they are in brought up and living in Western nations. Its not about having lots of materials available its about education and mindset. Look at Israel. Small nation in the same region except it has a much better standard of living. Has contributed far more to science and culture then the Gulf nations who have lots of money at their disposal.

Israel gets more foreign aid than anywhere else on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe