Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 05:07 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times

Advertisements

There are many things i usually disagree on with OldChina but we shouldn't celebrate holidays which aren't hours. I don't have problems with Thanksgiving (still shouldn't celebrate it just like Americans don't celebrate All Saints Day and All Souls Day) which can be a lovely concept when taken away of his historical meaning but the bull**** that is the Black Friday which is getting implemented all over Europe as a marketing ploy to increase sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 06:19 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
I still want to know more about the "British dream" though....

Old 11-27-2015, 09:37 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,302 times
Much ado about nothing really IMHO.
Perhaps somebody should open up a thread voicing concern about Americans celebrating Saint Patrick's Day oder having Bierfeste (Wasen), Weinfeste or Spanish fiestas. Just to even the odds..........
Besides the "Erntedankfest" (basically Thanksgiving although on a different date) existed i Germany for quite some time but hardly anybody really celebrates it.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:38 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Much ado about nothing really IMHO.
Perhaps somebody should open up a thread voicing concern about Americans celebrating Saint Patrick's Day oder having Bierfeste (Wasen), Weinfeste or Spanish fiestas. Just to even the odds..........
Besides the "Erntedankfest" (basically Thanksgiving although on a different date) existed i Germany for quite some time but hardly anybody really celebrates it.
That doesn't concern me.
What concerns me more is when RUSSIANS are making an attempt to celebrate St. Patrick's day, not to mention Halloween))))

Old 11-28-2015, 11:37 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
What are you ranting on about now, OP?

Old 11-28-2015, 11:49 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
I don't even know why or when they celebrate Thanksgiving, let alone celebrating it myself.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I don't even know why or when they celebrate Thanksgiving, let alone celebrating it myself.
There was an article in the NY Times recently about how Thanksgiving actually was the last Thursday of the month, but retailers persuaded FDR to move it back a week, so that there would be more time to hustle the holiday shopping period.

They celebrate Thanksgiving because the colonists were on the verge of starvation. The fact that they survived, with a little help from their "neighbors", is cause for celebration. If you're a descendant of those colonists, that is. Not so much for the Native peoples or more recent arrivals.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:21 PM

786 posts, read 811,587 times
Do you know, this evening while shopping in Tesco's I saw a group of poor-girl's hipsters practically fighting over a bottle of Southern Comfort. But I thought that the popularity of such products in Britain has been waning since 1974. Still, I suppose that Saturday night is as good as time as any for hopeless types to live the American dream. Here's to uncoolth !

Old 11-28-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
Do you know, this evening while shopping in Tesco's I saw a group of poor-girl's hipsters practically fighting over a bottle of Southern Comfort. But I thought that the popularity of such products in Britain has been waning since 1974. Still, I suppose that Saturday night is as good as time as any for hopeless types to live the American dream. Here's to uncoolth !
How does this post relate to your topic?

Old 11-28-2015, 04:42 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChina View Post
That's okay.
I saw and overheard a couple of hipster guys at Buffalo Wild Wings philosophize over the advantage of a cider over a stout and vice versa. Surely these hopeless types were chasing the 'British Dream'............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe