Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 09:53 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Though that is some dense reading, I agree that the House of Bourbon has a lot of the big names history wise as members.

I had thought the difference the two Houses was going to be whether or not tiles of nobility awarded by Napoleon are "real' titles. But I guess that is a separate issue.
The Bonapartistes are a different faction and separate from the Capetan line. They are usurpers and therefore the Bourbon line is the rightful heir to the French crown.

Not that I could care less in fact.

Philipp von Hessen is the pretender to the Finnish crown, though Finland never became a monarchy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdo...and_%281918%29
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 02:46 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Any other European monarchs (besides the one in the United Kingdom, of course) fluent in English?
Pope John Paul II was. Though popes are elected, they reign as a monarch over a sovereign state once they are "sworn in" so to speak. As such, I think they are considered monarchs in the olde school protocol sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Philipp von Hessen is the pretender to the Finnish crown, though Finland never became a monarchy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdo...and_%281918%29
Finland was an autonomous Grand Duchy with in the Russian empire prior to independence. Following independence, would the Finnish crown (well, at least in an old school technical sense), pass to the most senior Finnish family of noble background? For example, did any family hold the title of say, Grand Duke of Finland?

Last edited by Cryptic; 01-09-2016 at 02:56 PM..

Old 01-09-2016, 03:37 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post
It would be super cool if the French people accepted Bourbon Spanish King Felipe as their head of state and France was annexed into the Spanish monarchy!
I think the term you want is "personal union" under one crown, not annexation.
France had a Personal union
  • with the Kingdom of Naples under the rule of Louis XII (1501 - 1504) and Charles VIII (1495).
  • with the Duchy of Milan under the rule of Louis XII (1499 - 1500 and 1500 - 1512) and Francis I (1515 - 1521 and 1524 - 1525).
  • with the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth under the rule of Henry III (1573 – 1575).
  • with the Kingdom of Navarre (1284 - 1328 and 1572 - 1620).
  • with Andorra since 1607 (the French president is one of the heads of state in Andorra)
Note: The point at issue in the War of the Spanish Succession was the fear that the succession to the Spanish throne dictated by Spanish law, which would devolve on Louis, le Grand Dauphin — already heir to the throne of France — would create a personal union that would upset the European balance of power (France had the most powerful military in Europe at the time, and Spain the largest empire).

Old 01-09-2016, 04:10 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Spaniards, let me talk to you about austerity from this here humble room.
And your point is? The room has probably been that way for a hundred years, is not as if king Felipe is spending the royal treasure on furniture.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
And your point is? The room has probably been that way for a hundred years, is not as if king Felipe is spending the royal treasure on furniture.
The point being that he was talking to a bunch of people that have trouble finding a job and a good number of others that could barely afford to pay the bill to turn on the TV from which he's sending his message, from THAT room.

"Don't worry guys, I heard your children are hungry and you're under so much stress and suffering uncertainty but LOOK AT ALL THIS SWEET-4SS GOLD I HAVE HERE! Where did it come from, though?"

Last edited by Arigarisha; 01-09-2016 at 05:53 PM..

Old 01-09-2016, 06:24 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Finland was an autonomous Grand Duchy with in the Russian empire prior to independence. Following independence, would the Finnish crown (well, at least in an old school technical sense), pass to the most senior Finnish family of noble background? For example, did any family hold the title of say, Grand Duke of Finland?
No, only the Czar held the title as Grand Duke. We have no domestic claimants to the throne.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:30 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No, only the Czar held the title as Grand Duke. We have no domestic claimants to the throne.
Reindeerherders can't be King, anyway.

JUST KIDDING, Ariete! Kidding!

Old 01-09-2016, 06:33 PM

290 posts, read 570,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
The point being that he was talking to a bunch of people that have trouble finding a job and a good number of others that could barely afford to pay the bill to turn on the TV from which he's sending his message, from THAT room.

"Don't worry guys, I heard your children are hungry and you're under so much stress and suffering uncertainty but LOOK AT ALL THIS SWEET-4SS GOLD I HAVE HERE! Where did it come from, though?"
Yeah people act like King Felipe bought all that stuff. Thats 1000 years of history right there!

Old 01-09-2016, 06:55 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post
Yeah people act like King Felipe bought all that stuff. Thats 1000 years of history right there!
*Speech starts*
"This belongs to all the Spanish, you can visit anytime."

OOoooooooooooooooooooooh I feel soo much better, thanks Filipiño. Can I call you Filipiño? Anyway I feel you can connect to my problems on a deeper level Filipiño, what with you sitting there while I almost didn't manage to get enough money to get food tonight. Ur such a sweetypie inviting me to your Palace <3

Old 01-09-2016, 07:38 PM

290 posts, read 570,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garisha View Post
*Speech starts*
"This belongs to all the Spanish, you can visit anytime."

OOoooooooooooooooooooooh I feel soo much better, thanks Filipiño. Can I call you Filipiño? Anyway I feel you can connect to my problems on a deeper level Filipiño, what with you sitting there while I almost didn't manage to get enough money to get food tonight. Ur such a sweetypie inviting me to your Palace <3
The King represents Spain to the international world, it shows the Permanence and stability of a country, a peoples and a government over 1000 years. A great country that accomplished much achievements from Columbus and the discovery of the Americas, to protecting Europe from the Ottoman Empire when europe was at its weakess after the fall of Constantinople, to introducing Christianity to all the Americas to founding.cities up and down the globe including founding my home State of California and my city home city of San Francisco, for that we are eternraly greatful to Spain.
Viva El Rey!
Yes im an American lol.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-12-2016 at 11:29 AM.. Reason: Unnecessary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe