Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 10:09 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

I don't see that happening. To the contrary, it is considered an unfair event with vote rigging, certain countries helping each other for ethnic, political and similar reasons, etc.

It is a ****ing mess just like the EU as a whole. Ideally both will sooner or later disappear into thin air...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:33 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
I am thanking few for making their effort

Old 03-24-2016, 06:27 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,600 times
Even if the contest itself is quite unfair (sometimes really unfair), the songs are not representative of the real musical potential of the partecipant countries and so on, it doesn't necessary mean that it is not anything interesting to discuss about it (in particular with people from the other participant countries, such as in this forum).

In particular the beginning of this thread, when we were still talking about the singer that we would have liked to see in ESC (or about the candidates that we didn't like at all) was funny!
In my opinion it is a light theme about which people who live really far away can talk easily because the most of us already know it. And I don't care so much about the final results, voting and so on, so I won't get offended if we will end at the last position or something like that.

Anyway, returning to the participating songs, they are finally all available. So that there are 43 song and I don't remember at all which ones have been already posted (and I have no time for reading again the whole thread), I've found a video that condenses all the songs in less than 15 minutes. In this way I also avoid to fill the post with a huge number of videos. If you want all the songs are easily found on youtube anyway.

For me there aren't unforgettable songs (no surprise about it), and with so many songs it is also difficult to remember the all of them and to choose the one I prefer...
Anyway, the ones that remained the most into my head are the entries from Croatia, Cyprus, Russia, Spain and France ( also Austria and Greece are quite stuck in my head, even if I don't like them so much...). The one that I remember because it is just creepy is the one from San Marino, I really can't understand them this time...
Our entry in quite stuck in my head too, but that's probably because it is aired really often at the radio and it pops out every time I listen to random songs on youtube (with those "automatic playlists"). Even if someone doesn't like it at all it has already more than 10 millions of views on youtube in a month and an half, that for an Italian song is really a lot!
Last news about our entry: they decided to translate the title and one of the chorus in English. The official title right now is "no degree of separation". Of course the official video for Eurovision is not available yet.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:53 AM

504 posts, read 465,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Eurovision is just one more embarrassment for modern Europe. Any country that is proud of its music should not even participate.
^this

The UK produces more music than the rest of the continent put together, but none of our successful artists will go near the Eurovision as it's such a laughing stock. Even the commentary on the BBC pokes fun at it from start to finish. As one of the main funders, the UK is always in the final, no matter how pitiful the entry. I think it's time we walked away and take the funding with us.

Leave all the pathetic political voting and national bonding to those who actually find it amusing.

I predict this year we will come one from last, as usual. One of the boys is quite cute though

Old 03-26-2016, 05:53 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
^this

The UK produces more music than the rest of the continent put together, but none of our successful artists will go near the Eurovision as it's such a laughing stock. Even the commentary on the BBC pokes fun at it from start to finish. As one of the main funders, the UK is always in the final, no matter how pitiful the entry. I think it's time we walked away and take the funding with us.

Leave all the pathetic political voting and national bonding to those who actually find it amusing.

I predict this year we will come one from last, as usual. One of the boys is quite cute though
How? It may produce more than any of the European countries (and even then i'm not sure) but i don't think it produces more than Spain, France, Finland, Italy, Norway, Sweden, ecc. together. Yours is a hyperbole. Anyway, we don't send our most established artists either, mostly young up and coming singers, former stars or unknowns

Apart from that, we all take it as fun really but deep inside we do want our country to triumph. the Eurovision is a contest about who puts together the best ****show and that's the way we like it! The biggest clown (or the most dance pop-pish song depending on the year) must win

Old 03-29-2016, 02:52 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
^this

I agree with you about the UK coming out of it.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:58 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,063,385 times
I've bought myself one of those internet radios. It's got a few stations on there dedicated to just the Eurovision! They are awful! I can't imagine listening to that stuff all day, every day. I can't even cope with one night of it, per year. It's like some sort of torture listening to it (which I won't be doing again).

Old 05-15-2016, 07:16 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
Eurovision was yesterday.

I don't like the winner song at all, I find it boring... But I liked for example the Netherlands song.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:07 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,443,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Eurovision was yesterday.

I don't like the winner song at all, I find it boring... But I liked for example the Netherlands song.
Surely the winner song was not intended to make us having fun, its strong point was the meaning.
Then there are also some interesting "political aspect" to consider:

'They kill you all': why Ukrainian Eurovision winner, Jamala, angered Russia with her 1944 song
Eurovision 2016: Furious Russia demands boycott of Ukraine over Jamala's 'anti-Kremlin' song

Old 05-15-2016, 08:46 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
Surely the winner song was not intended to make us having fun, its strong point was the meaning.
Then there are also some interesting "political aspect" to consider:

'They kill you all': why Ukrainian Eurovision winner, Jamala, angered Russia with her 1944 song
Eurovision 2016: Furious Russia demands boycott of Ukraine over Jamala's 'anti-Kremlin' song
Politics in songs lyrics were banned (until yesterday) some years ago a song had to be modified to avoid some political references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe