Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 10:55 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,238 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for other countries, but in France what matters is not racial identity but cultural identity. If you are American citizen and speak English you will be reguarded exactly the same way as your felliw American citizens, and certainly not as a "latino" (which by the way would never ve understood as a "racial" concept but as a linguistic-cultural one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 11:03 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,263,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
Italy..very well assimilated..also Paris.
US latinos usually work for the administration..consular offices...most look spanish because there families were spanish.
France, and especially Paris as since a long time attracted south Americans. But, contrary to the US or Even Spain, most of them are from the upper "whiter" classes (not much indigenous or mestizo looking people) and from countries such as Argentina, chile or Uruguay. As such, they just pass for "mainstream" population.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:35 AM

426 posts, read 394,116 times
French

It was like that in Spain until very recently, until the construction boom before the crisis when many people came from Andean countries, which are hardworking and have not provoked problems whatsoever.
They were such a novelty that many thought they were some sort of Japanese.
There are also "returnees", mostly in northern Spain, lots from Venezuela lately.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:50 AM

749 posts, read 856,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I can't speak for other countries, but in France what matters is not racial identity but cultural identity. If you are American citizen and speak English you will be reguarded exactly the same way as your felliw American citizens, and certainly not as a "latino" (which by the way would never ve understood as a "racial" concept but as a linguistic-cultural one).

Hmm I beg to differ on this, France just like the US operates a difference between the natives and the people of immigrant descendant, the so -called hyphened citizens (Franco-Moroccans, Franco-Senegalese etc). American Latinos will certainly be viewed the same way, not "fully typically American" yet more or less acculturated.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:48 PM

125 posts, read 206,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Hmm I beg to differ on this, France just like the US operates a difference between the natives and the people of immigrant descendant, the so -called hyphened citizens (Franco-Moroccans, Franco-Senegalese etc). American Latinos will certainly be viewed the same way, not "fully typically American" yet more or less acculturated.
There is a big difference between a Hispanic/Latino coming from Latin America or the US as opposed to someone coming from the sub-saharan region. If you are Catholic, speak Spanish and maybe some French you are miles ahead of various other people in France.
French writing is easily to discern if you can read Spanish not so much the pronunciation. The French culture is very similar to other Latin cultures even the people tend to be much darker, thanks to the Mediterranean sun.
The French people have had a long history of camaraderie with the people from Spain as well as from the people of Latin America.

Nathalie CARDONE (below) is French yet she sings in Spanish, she is very popular in France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86LSuXi5TLU

Old 02-25-2016, 08:15 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
I think what the OP was trying to say is that he is worried about being confused with the an Arab/Muslim.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:22 AM

426 posts, read 394,116 times
As French User said, Latin Americans and Spanish were always present in Quartier Lation, among the fifferent artistic mouvements. They are part of "La Boheme". José Maria Heredia, panteistes, and a large etcétera.

As to the US Hispanics, probably high offocial and criollos, and hence not representative. But I believe that French have a lot of sympathie for Mexico since querataro.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:50 AM

749 posts, read 856,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
As French User said, Latin Americans and Spanish were always present in Quartier Lation, among the fifferent artistic mouvements. They are part of "La Boheme". José Maria Heredia, panteistes, and a large etcétera.

As to the US Hispanics, probably high offocial and criollos, and hence not representative. But I believe that French have a lot of sympathie for Mexico since querataro.
Paris is a very cosmopolitan city but Latinos (as latino-americans)there are rather a small presence. Also I doubt many people in France, including me, have any idea what Queretaro is. Also Spaniards and Latinos-Americans Hispanic-US Americans are a whole different story.

But back at OP's question I too believe he/she fears being mistaken for an Arab or a gypsy and in all fairness it might be possible but I highly doubt it would come with negative practical effects.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:51 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
We don't have a strong Southern American presence here in Turku, but back home in Helsinki there's a thriving Southern American community. What I know some are very active in the music and art scene, and very well integrated. In Finnish the definition 'Latino' are Southern Americans, and like all other countries in Europe we don't define people according to heritage. An Hispanic-American is here only American.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:19 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I have to laugh at this because it's so true. Americans just assume the entire world is obsessed with race because that's pretty much normal in the U.S.
Actually I think it's worse in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe