Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 12:06 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
What connection do the US and Canada have with India or Czech Republic ? Yet we have locally made IPA and Pilsner style beers.

Actually it's not even India, it's the UK.

IPA originated in Great Britain to be sold to India but have since become a widely popular type of beer in North America. It's a type of beer, just like Stout or Porter or Pilsner. Very hoppy and fragrant and somewhat bitter, often slightly stronger than your typical lager or stout. I like moderately bitter beers but can't stand the bitter chocolate flavor some Porter beers have. IPA's bitterness has more of a pine cone flavor.
I want the "pine cone flavor" too.
If I go for a beer once in great while, it better be worthy my effort.
So what should I exactly ask for, once in a bar/store/whatever - the "IPA," the "pine cone flavor" - what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 01:22 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times
Coming from San Diego I was used to drinking IPA's , would be nice once and awhile. I tried the one from Becks- horrible.
There are a few others offered which I haven`t tried because I am not ready to pay what they are asking for a beer.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:28 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Plenty of IPA available in the UK, a lot of Europe seems to be lager and nothing else, of course I only know the beer served when I've been a tourist there so I am sure there must be a lot of beers I don't know about. Lager is a popular drink but to be honest most lagers (not all) are pretty poor, some of them downright awful! Of course its a matter of taste, recently I've gotten into Blue Moon (American wheat beer I think) and an occasional pint of Cornish Pilsner (world lager of the year 2013), which of course is from Cornwall!

Old 07-18-2016, 01:45 AM

502 posts, read 655,295 times
IPA is much more common in the USA than in Europe. Even where I live (beer paradise Belgium) there are not many IPAs, and they are kind of a novelty and weird thing. They prefer to stick to their aprox. 500 types of traditional beers.

Still, in most countries in Europe you will have 1 or 2 local beers (from that region or city) and that's what you get served in most bars of the area. You'll need to go to a more specialized bar to get 10+ types of beer.

Prague is imho one of the best beer places in the world. Have you been to U Fleku?

Old 07-18-2016, 01:50 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
IPA is much more common in the USA than in Europe. Even where I live (beer paradise Belgium) there are not many IPAs, and they are kind of a novelty and weird thing. They prefer to stick to their aprox. 500 types of traditional beers.

Still, in most countries in Europe you will have 1 or 2 local beers (from that region or city) and that's what you get served in most bars of the area. You'll need to go to a more specialized bar to get 10+ types of beer.

Prague is imho one of the best beer places in the world. Have you been to U Fleku?
It depends on 'where' in Europe, there are big differences in each country as the birthplace of IPA it is obviously readily available in the UK, perhaps not so much in countries like the Czech Republic which has more of a leaning towards lager (invented in Bavaria I think?).

Old 07-18-2016, 01:57 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Not mainstream, but definitely found over here if you want some.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:21 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Plenty of IPA available in the UK, a lot of Europe seems to be lager and nothing else, of course I only know the beer served when I've been a tourist there so I am sure there must be a lot of beers I don't know about. Lager is a popular drink but to be honest most lagers (not all) are pretty poor, some of them downright awful! Of course its a matter of taste, recently I've gotten into Blue Moon (American wheat beer I think) and an occasional pint of Cornish Pilsner (world lager of the year 2013), which of course is from Cornwall!
McEwan's Export was always one of the biggest selling IPA's in the UK, as was Bass.

Lots of Breweries in the UK make IPA's including the vast new wave of Craft Breweries.

Bitter also belongs to the pale ale style and can have a great variety of strength, flavour and appearance from dark amber to a golden summer ale.

Bitter is probably the more traditional pale ale in Britain, and especially the North, however IPA has always been very popular in the UK.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-18-2016 at 02:37 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 03:45 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,156 times
In the Netherlands, there are a lot of very good IPAs. Major breweries started to produce them such as "Brand IPA". Also in Germany more and more "craft beers" are coming, bringing IPA culture to a broad range of people but its still kind of niche.

I can recomment the app "untappd" where you can search and rate beers, and also keep a record of all you had. https://untappd.com/beer/top_rated

Old 07-18-2016, 06:16 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
I didn't know what an IPA was before entering this thread. I have never seen one of them in the average bar or pub where i live so i had no one idea this kind of beer even existed. In most places when eating out, you will be served a regional beer if you don't specify what kind of beer you want. In Taranto you will be served Raffo, in Bari you will be served Peroni, ecc.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:08 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,973,487 times
Once you get used to the taste of "west coast" hops in beers from Lagunitas and Russian River Brewing, it's hard to drink a kolsch, pilsner, or lager that are big in Europe. They taste like water. As a result, a lot of big European brewers like Heineken have started to buy small American craft brewers to learn how they do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe