Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 06:29 AM

733 posts, read 603,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
- The food is healthier in Germany compared to United States. In Germany there is a greater push for keeping foods organic as much as possible, no GMOs, etc. Another big plus over United States in this regard.

Every day another recall or food scandal. Healthier?
Unhealthy food is mostly legalized in the United States, there's no need for any recall.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:32 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
Healthy food is available in both countries, at (usally) higher prices than junkfood. It is just more common among Germans to care about their nutrition and to cook themselves at home than it is among Americans. If people buy unhealthy food, they should not complain that the food is unhealthy. And organic does not always means more healthy.

I know pretty many people here who eat out for Lunch and Dinner both, often fastfood. That is very uncommon in Germany. At the same time it is just very very convienent to get a quick burger here in the states instead of cooking at home.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:00 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,177,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato2 View Post
I visited Mannheim, Heidelberg, and Dresden this summer for a vacation and I would like to give a few thoughts and opinions about it.

- I really like the generally smaller and more fuel efficient cars in Germany. Big pro over United States. American cars feel and look like army tanks in comparison to cars in Germany.

- The food is healthier in Germany compared to United States. In Germany there is a greater push for keeping foods organic as much as possible, no GMOs, etc. Another big plus over United States in this regard.

- The architecture in center of major cities is beautiful. Heidelberg Castle really wowed me. It felt like being in a different time being there, except for the many international tourists being there.

- Do not really like how the German language sounds. It is not a pleasant language to listen to. Sorry.

- Liked saurkraut and brats. My favorite German meal.

- Really like how some portions of freeways that there are no speed limits. Though, I doubt United States would implement speed limit-free zones of freeways.

- A lot of freeways in Germany. Freeways were really smooth in general as well.

- Saw as many crazy and terrible drivers in Germany as in United States. Germany is actually not better in this regard.

- Some Germans were "cold" and reserved as many American stereotypes say but I still met pretty "outgoing" and not so reserved Germans.

- Saw a lot of graffiti in German cities. Kind of annoying and a problem to be honest.

- The weather was really great in June. Only a few hot days but mostly moderate (not too hot or too cold). That kind of weather I like.

- I like how in Germany the price on price labels is the final price, with tax and everything else included. United States can learn from Germany in this regard.

- Wine looks like it is taking over Germany. Beer is really losing its influence and appeal.

- Not really attracted to German women to be honest. Prefer southern European (Italian, Spanish, etc) or east Asian women.

Overall, I liked my trip to Germany. Kind of opened my eyes more to what it is actually like living in United States.
Bahaha I think it's funny when they scream.. or when they say Verboten..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKef1JFpiCA

Old 08-02-2016, 08:09 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
Unhealthy food is mostly legalized in the United States, there's no need for any recall.
You may want to read some German newspapers in regards to recalls, farm and factory closings, pesticides, ...

At the end of the day it is an individual decision what you eat.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:22 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
I visited Mannheim, Heidelberg, and Dresden this summer for a vacation and I would like to give a few thoughts and opinions about it.

- I really like the generally smaller and more fuel efficient cars in Germany. Big pro over United States. American cars feel and look like army tanks in comparison to cars in Germany.
That goes for all of Europe. German/Italian/French/ecc. cars are usually built to be able to navigate European cities where roads are narrower, parking spaces little, few and maybe even far in between, the price of fuel is higher, ecc. City cars are more common here because they are more useful.

Quote:
This is due to EU regulations that basically try to protect the consumer in many ways, even regarding health. If something has the CE mark on it, it's guaranteed to have at least a certain quality

Quote:
- The architecture in center of major cities is beautiful. Heidelberg Castle really wowed me. It felt like being in a different time being there, except for the many international tourists being there.
This is frankly simply due to having had several more centuries of history. The average building quality used to be higher in the past while now it seems several buildings are built not to last much at all and to be able to be kept up to future trends. This is still more common in the USA than it is over here though

Quote:
- A lot of freeways in Germany. Freeways were really smooth in general as well.
The German freeway system is known for its quality especially given its nonexistent cost. Italian freeways offer more services though but they come at a price

Quote:
- Saw a lot of graffiti in German cities. Kind of annoying and a problem to be honest.

- Wine looks like it is taking over Germany. Beer is really losing its influence and appeal.

Overall, I liked my trip to Germany. Kind of opened my eyes more to what it is actually like living in United States.
Graffitis are due to the existence of Far left or Anarchist communities (social centres) which leave their mark whenever they can. There's quite a few social centres and they mostly serve as musical venues for the underground scene and as a far left political think tank
Southwestern Germany has always been wine country
That's what trips are for in the end. To open someone's eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Of course it always depends on where you go. I often use public transportation in Europe, and have to say that stations and all the surrounding of the tracks etc. are often very dirty. If you take a car and drive thru the rather representative neighborhoods, it looks like a whole different world. That is not that different to the US though, but here I usually do not take public transport and therefore often do not see the dirt spots.
The neighbourhoods around the train station are usually amongst the sketchiest ones. That's how it is in most cities, it's usually because these neighbourhoods are usually just out of the city center and therefore not as valuable and the homes are old which means that they are sold or rented out at low prices which makes them good place for immigrants and the lower classes to settle.

It's not always this way. It also doesn't help though that the existence of the train station tends to attract the underworld

Last edited by improb; 08-02-2016 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-02-2016, 02:33 PM

617 posts, read 538,697 times
Quote:

Cannot agree that much about the healthcare though. German healthcare is very expensive and very inefficient, just like the American. Too many people died due to germs in hospitals and they are not able to control that problem. If you want to see good and efficient healthcare, go to the Netherlands (where people who have been in German hospitals before, have to go to quarantine before, due to all the germs).
Seems like you don't know anything about German healthcare:
German health care expenditures per capita are half of the USA and of higher quality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ure_per_capita

Also for a German health care costs generally nothing, it's all taken care of by taxes. The taxes are somewhat higher than US but not by much, considering that most fundamental things like education at any level are free in Germany and they pay minuscule property taxes.

In the US health care is pretty much nationwide corporate scam/mafia, you never know how much they will charge you, they abuse billing codes as they wish, and there's no remedy other than going to court (good luck suing billion dollar health insurance companies).

Old 08-02-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Seems like you don't know anything about German healthcare:
German health care expenditures per capita are half of the USA and of higher quality:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ure_per_capita

Also for a German health care costs generally nothing, it's all taken care of by taxes. The taxes are somewhat higher than US but not by much, considering that most fundamental things like education at any level are free in Germany and they pay minuscule property taxes.
Please, be less offensive and do not accuse people of not knowing anything.

It is absolutely not true, that health care costs generally nothing in Germany. You and your employer have to pay a hell lot of money in healthcare insurance every month. When I worked in Germany, me and my employer had to pay round $400, making it $800 together in monthly payments. Both parties have to pay around 8% of the gross monthly salary, making it around 16%. Then, when going to the doctor, only the basics are covered, and if you want to have special treatment, or kind of expensive medication, it is not covered and you have to pay something by yourself. If you stay in hospital, you have to pay extra every day. And if you pick up some medication ,you also have to pay kind of own contribution per month or per bottle.

If you earn a good salary, health insurance in Germany is very expensive... only for those who are only on the welfare receiver side, its all for free... thats why I use to say that Germany is welfare receivers paradise. But they should think about who actually has to pay in all that money and what do those people think about it.

If you are rich, you will be eligible for private health insurance, which works pretty much similar as in the US, giving a lot of more benefits, special treatments, priority on appointment lists, but also you have to earn more than around $5000 per month to be eligible, and therefore have to pay high monthly payments.

But I agree that the US is not a good reference for healthcare efficiency.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:00 PM

617 posts, read 538,697 times
Quote:

When I worked in Germany, me and my employer had to pay round $400,

$400 would cover all your dependents and basic dental with no deductible isn't it? That's like half of what I pay in the US, not to mention $3K deductible. And I never know if they just hit me with $50K bill on top of that, if accidentally some doctor/procedure will be "out of network".

The medical benefits provided include in-patient (hospital) care as a ward patient with the doctor on duty at your nearest hospital, out-patient care with registered doctors (Kassenärzte) and basic dental care

your non-working dependents living at your address in Germany are presently insured at no additional cost

How To Germany - Health Insurance Options in Germany

Old 08-02-2016, 03:08 PM

$400 is just employee part, another $400 comes from the employer (which would otherwise be my salary, if we calculate in terms of overall labour costs), making it $800 together. Why should I pay for that other people have their dependants insured for free, if they are not working?

Old 08-02-2016, 04:05 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:

It is absolutely not true, that health care costs generally nothing in Germany. You and your employer have to pay a hell lot of money in healthcare insurance every month. When I worked in Germany, me and my employer had to pay round $400, making it $800 together in monthly payments. Both parties have to pay around 8% of the gross monthly salary, making it around 16%. Then, when going to the doctor, only the basics are covered, and if you want to have special treatment, or kind of expensive medication, it is not covered and you have to pay something by yourself. If you stay in hospital, you have to pay extra every day. And if you pick up some medication ,you also have to pay kind of own contribution per month or per bottle.

If you earn a good salary, health insurance in Germany is very expensive... only for those who are only on the welfare receiver side, its all for free... thats why I use to say that Germany is welfare receivers paradise. But they should think about who actually has to pay in all that money and what do those people think about it.

If you are rich, you will be eligible for private health insurance, which works pretty much similar as in the US, giving a lot of more benefits, special treatments, priority on appointment lists, but also you have to earn more than around $5000 per month to be eligible, and therefore have to pay high monthly payments.

It's the right thing that the ones who have made it have to compensate for the least fortunate ones. It's good to have something to fall back on in case you don't manage to be successful at work or are just an unskilled worker. It's good that Germany or any Western European country isn't a place for the elite in the same way the USA is

Quote:
$400 is just employee part, another $400 comes from the employer (which would otherwise be my salary, if we calculate in terms of overall labour costs), making it $800 together. Why should I pay for that other people have their dependants insured for free, if they are not working?
Who's to say that should be your salary? That could easily be more profit for the employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe