Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 03:05 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,573,670 times

Advertisements

Here every Spaniard town larger than 300 inhabitants or so has its own public pool.
Thus, most cities have more than one in every district, and even some houses have their own swimming private pool in their gardens.

Indoor heated pools are also common in every town larger than 10.000 or 15.000 inhabitants or so because winter here is cold enough to outdoor swimming from late September to early June. They are common even in the far south where winters are often mild.
I would say winter is cold enough everywhere in southern Europe, so indoor heated pools make sense in such southern cities.

Natural pools in rivers are also common as well. I have one near my town named Las Paneras which is located in the middle of a beautiful pine forest near El Espinar, (just some 65 kilometres away northwest from Madrid).
Every weekend from June to September a great number of people from Madrid go away looking for nature and lower temperatures, so many of them go to La Panera to enjoy a good summer day. Since few years ago, tourists from foreign countries began to discover such natural pool as I've seen foreing cars with either French, Dutch, British and German plates.

I know Iceland have natural pools in every town with warm water by their geothermal waters, but what about swimming outdoor pools and natural pools with cold water in northern Norway or northern Finland?

Well, what about your country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 05:32 PM

820 posts, read 953,562 times
Regarding private swimming pools, France has the highest number of private swimming pools in Europe.

In France, we say "If you don't have your own swimming pool when you are 40, you failed everything in your life" (except if you live in Paris)

Les Français restent les premiers consommateurs de piscines en Europe

La France*: le plus important parc de piscines d

For instance you have 42 000 swimming pools in the UK and 1 860 000 in France.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:11 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Yeah, when I saw the thread title, I thought it was asking about private pools. On the other hand, I find a much more important question to be: how common is air conditioning in your country?

Old 08-21-2016, 10:58 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,259,150 times
We have a private swimming pool but it's very small and only because the former owner of our house put it there. I would never have build one because with 4 weeks of good weather a year, it's not worth the effort.

Nearly every Dutch town has a public swimming pool. Most bigger cities have one in every part of the city like "Swimming pool West- North-" etc.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:45 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog69 View Post
We have a private swimming pool but it's very small and only because the former owner of our house put it there. I would never have build one because with 4 weeks of good weather a year, it's not worth the effort.

Nearly every Dutch town has a public swimming pool. Most bigger cities have one in every part of the city like "Swimming pool West- North-" etc.
Do people swimming in any of those big rivers you have in your country?

Old 08-22-2016, 12:49 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
Regarding private swimming pools, France has the highest number of private swimming pools in Europe.

In France, we say "If you don't have your own swimming pool when you are 40, you failed everything in your life" (except if you live in Paris)

Les Français restent les premiers consommateurs de piscines en Europe

La France*: le plus important parc de piscines d

For instance you have 42 000 swimming pools in the UK and 1 860 000 in France.
how sad to be a failure if you dont have an oversize bath in the back garden... pitiful.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:59 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
I'm so happy that in our small city we have four community pools (open year-round and free to residents).

I have no desire to take on the upkeep, expense, and responsibility of a private swimming pool, though of course many people do have them.

I'm not European, so I shouldn't even be posting here. I really just wanted to respond to the sentiment that success means a private swimming pool. I think it could equally well be argued that success is having the use of a pool at any time without having to maintain it.

Last edited by saibot; 08-22-2016 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 01:16 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,648,748 times
I wonder which is the coldest place in Europe to have a public outdoor pool? There's one not far from me (May-September only), where average summer high temperatures are roughly 20C. It looks nice enough, but I've never been there because it sounds too cold - the FAQ mentions 14C water temperatures and people wearing wetsuits

Frequently Asked Questions • Friends of Ilkley Lido

Every decent-sized town has a heated indoor swimming pool, so I'm impressed that place gets enough visitors to stay in business.

Last edited by ben86; 08-22-2016 at 01:39 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I wonder which is the coldest place in Europe to have a public outdoor pool?
Maybe somewhere in Northern Ireland? I would say Owen has not any public outdoor pool around him, lol.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:51 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,955,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Do people swimming in any of those big rivers you have in your country?
only once

Just kidding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe